History of Marshall County Tennessee
Formed in 1836 from
Bedford counties. In 1870, a
part of Giles County was
The first census for Marshall County was taken in 1840.
The first justices of the peace were William McClure, Thomas Ross, William Wilkes, Peter Williams, Thomas Wilson, David McGahey, James Adams, George Cunningham, James V. Ewing, John Fields, Adam Miller, Joseph Cleek, Ephraim Hunter, Asa Holland, James Patterson, Jason Sheffield, Sherwood Dunnigan, and Andrew Laird.
The first county officials were: John R. Hill, sheriff; Martin W. Oakley, county court clerk; John W. Record, trustee; John Elliot, register; Joseph McCord, coroner; Isaac H. Williams, ranger; and Hugh McClelland, surveyor.
Marshall County was named in honor of John Marshall, chief justice. The southern part of the county consists of fertile valleys and hills; the northern part is mostly level. It is drained by the Duck River. The county seat is Lewisburg, named for Meriwether Lewis. Learn more about the history and the first settlers of Marshall County by reading the Goodspeed History of Marshall County and convenient Index is available for a quick search.
A B C D E F H IJK L M NO P R S T W
Read about the Tornado of 1921
©2005 by Paulette Carpenter; all rights reserved.
Submissions to these pages remain the copyrighted property of the submitter. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied for personal genealogical use, this copyright notice MUST appear with the information. Otherwise, contact the submitter.