DANIEL B. CLAYTON, farmer, of Marshall County, Tenn., is a son of William G. and Jane S. (Bachman) Clayton, and was born in the county where he now resides May 11, 1855. After attending the common school he completed his education at Lewisburg, and then began the battle of life for himself. He taught one term of school and, in 1878, went to Texas and engaged in the mercantile business. After selling agricultural implements for a short time he opened a grocery store, which he managed two years with good results. He sold out and returned to Marshall County in 1881, and was united in marriage to Cora McCord, by whom he has one child, Mary Lucile. Both Mr. and Mrs. Clayton are active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They own 325 acres of land in the most fertile portion of Marshall County, it being considered one of the finest stock farms in the county. He takes great interest in raising fine stock, and is a stanch Democrat in his political views.
WILLIAM G. CLAYTON is a son of Stephen and Nancy (Hill) Clayton, who were natives of Tennessee and farmers by occupation. The former died in 1837 and the later in 1826. William G. was born in Lincoln County, November 6, 1817 and received a common school education. In 1837 he wedded Jane S. Bachman, and to them were born eight children. William has followed in his father's footsteps and is a farmer. He started in life with little or no capital; but his hands and feet, step by step, climbed the ladder of success until he became one of the prosperous farmers of Marshall county, and commands the respect and esteem of all. His son, Dr. A.C. Clayton, was born in Marshall county, February 26, 1842, and spent his juvenile days on his father's farm. He attended the common schools, and in 1862 enlisted in Company I, Fifth Tennessee Confederate Infantry. He was wounded so severely at the battle of Murfreesboro, that he was compelled to give up all ideas of further service. toward the latter part of the war he spent some time in Texas, and after his return took a course of instruction in Richland Academy, and afterward taught school about seven terms. In 1876 he entered the medical department of Vanderbilt University, and graduated the following year. He has since practiced in Marshall County, and besides this has dealt in stock, lumber, and has been engaged in the milling business. He has a tan-yard in Lawrence County, a small farm in this county and a large one in Gibson County. In 1883 he wedded mary E. Carter, who lived only about two years. the Doctor is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and a Democrat. He has been a resident of the county about forty years, and has the respect and esteem of all.
WILLIAM M. CLARK, son of Thomas and Betsey (Robinson) Clark, is a well-to-do farmer of Marshall County, Tenn., and was born in Giles County June 22, 1822. He was allowed to follow his own inclination in regard to schooling, consequently his education is very limited indeed. After working one year for wages he purchased seventy-five acres of land, largely on credit, and by the sweat of his brow has increased his farm to 375 acres. Two sons and one daughter are the results of his marriage with Mary Jones, which took place in 1849. After her death he married Betsey White, and two children have blessed their union. Mr. Clark and his first wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South; his present wife is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In former days our subject was a Whig, but is now a Democrat. His parents were North Carolinians by birth, and shortly after their marriage came to Giles County, Tenn., and followed farming for a livelihood. The father was twice married, his second wife being Nancy McCandless. Nine children were born to his first union and three to his last. The father was a Whig and died when about forty-five years old.
DAVID COLLINS is a son of Jones Collins, who was born in 1791 in North Carolina. The mother, Sophia (Wright) Collins, was born in 1798, in Georgia. The father participated in the war of 1812, and in 1832 came to Marshall County, Tenn. He is a Jacksonian Democrat, and at the breaking out of the late war led some fourteen of his children and grandchildren to the front. He has always followed farming, and at one time was one of the most extensive land owners in the county. In 1875 the mother died. The father is now (1886) ninety-four years old and enjoys good health. The Collins family were among the earliest settlers of the county and are of Scotch-Irish descent. David Collins was born March 16, 1827, in Georgia. He had good educational advantages but did not improve them, which fact he has always regretted. At the age of seventeen he enlisted to serve in the Mexican war, and after a short service had his leg shattered by an ounce ball at Monterey, disabling him for further service. After he returned home he clerked, farmed, and at the age of twenty-two began operating the Allen Leper Mills. In 1853 he wedded Margaret Glenn, and to them were born five sons. Mr. Collins is a Democrat and the owner of 175 acres of land. His son, John C. Collins, was born September 15, 1858, in Marshall County. His rudimentary education was obtained in the common schools, and later he finished his education at Culleoka. After his return he kept several fine horses for about three years. In 1883 he came to Gillís Chapel and opened a grocery store in an old log house, his capital being $300. By good management he has built a new store-room, a nice frame residence and has increased his stock of goods many fold. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and is a Republican in politics.
JAMES W. COLLINS is of Irish-Scotch
descent and is a son of Elisha and Betsey (McGregor) Collins, who were
born in North Carolina and Virginia in 1807. They came to Tennessee
when young and here were married. Of their ten children seven are
living. The father was a farmer and democrat and died in 1872.
The mother is yet living at the age of
seventy-nine. February 15, 1832, is the date of our subjectís birth which occurred in Marshall County. Being the eldest son he was obliged to assist his father on the farm, consequently his educational advantages were limited. At the age of twenty-one he began farming for
himself and in 1861 volunteered in Company I, Second Mississippi Infantry. He was captured at Maryville, Tenn., but succeeded in making his escape. After the war he resumed farming and, in 1866, was united in marriage to Nancy McKnight, daughter of Ezekiel M. Mr. and Mrs.
Collins have no children. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and in politics Mr. Collins is a Democrat. He owns a farm of 185 acres, the fruits of his own labor.
HENRY COLLINS, one of the
prosperous farmers of Marshall County, Tenn., was born September 28, 1845.
His early education was wholly neglected, but he has overcome this deficiency
by study during his leisure moments, and now has a fair general education.
In 1863 he
volunteered in Forrestís command Eleventh Tennessee Cavalry and after serving two years and receiving a slight wound he returned home and resumed farming. In 1866 he wedded Fannie Collins, by whom he had ten children, eight of whom are living. He is a Democrat and owns a
330-acre farm, one of the best in the county. He takes great pride in raising fine Holstien cattle, and some of his animals are the best in the county. His parents, Henry and Nancy E. (Cunningham) Collins, had both been married previous to their union. The father was married to
Fannie Martin, by whom he had nine children, and the motherís first husband was O. P. Sheppard, by whom she had one child. Our subject, Henry Collins, is the only child born to their union. The father was a native of North Carolina, and moved from there to Georgia, thence to
Tennessee in 1826. He was a Democrat and farmer and died in 1861, followed by his widow a year later.
THOMAS COLLINS, farmer, of Marshall County, Tenn., and son of Willis and Phoebe (Martin) Collins, is one of nine children and was born in the State of Georgia July 27, 1818. He was reared on a farm, and his early education was wholly and needlessly neglected. He was married at an early age, being only nineteen when he and Sarah Childs were united in marriage. Of the six children born to them only two are living: W. P. and Fannie. Since his marriage he has followed agricultural pursuits, and at one time was the owner of nearly 800 acres of land, the greater part of which he has given to his children. In 1884 his wife died, and, after living with his children a year, he was married to Mrs. Nancy E. (Clark) Judia. Previous to the war Mr. Collins was a Whig; since that time he has not cast a party vote. He has been a resident of Marshall County some thirty years, and has the confidence and respect of all who know him. Our subjectís father and mother were born in North Carolina and Virgina, respectively, and were married in Georgia. The father was an overseer in the latter State, and came to Tennessee in 1826, where he became the possessor of nearly 1,000 acres of land. He was a soldier under Jackson, and in politics was an old-line Whig. He died in 1854. The mother lived to be about eighty-four years of age.
WILLIS P. COLLINS is the son of Thomas Collins (above written) and was raised on a farm in Giles County, Tenn., where he was born November 11, 1845. He received a common school education and like his father choose the free and independent life of a farmer. In 1866 he married Margaret Smith, who died in 1874, leaving four children. In 1875 he married Hannah G. Beard and to them were born five children. Mr. Collins and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His first wife belonged to the Christian Church. After his first marriage Mr. Collins resided on a farm given him by his father until 1871 when he located on a farm of 257 acres where he now resides. He is considered one of the skillful farmers of the county and is a man who commands the respect of all.
JOHN COWDEN, M.D., one of the leading physicians of Marshall County, is a son of William and Rhoda (Davis) Cowden, natives, respectively, of North Carolina and Tennessee. The father was born in 1806 and the mother in 1811. The father was a blacksmith and wagon-maker. They were married in 1828 and their family consisted of six children--three of whom died within two weeks of scarlet fever. Of the living, two are boys and one is a girl. One of the boys, William N., is a leading criminal lawyer of Lewisburg and the other appears at the head of this sketch. Both parents were united with the Christian Church and have ever lived in accordance with their profession. The father during his short life was an industrious, energetic worker, and was cut off in the bloom of manhood by the frosts of death. His death occurred in 1839. The mother was married again but after the death of her second husband has made her home with the Doctor. Dr. John Cowden was born October 6, 1834, in Marshall County, and received the rudiments of his education in the old-time subscription schools. At the age of sixteen he spent a year at an academy and then began the study of medicine with Dr. T. W. Brents. After studying about a year he took a course of lectures at Memphis and completed his medical education at Macon, Ga., graduating from that institution in 1854. He then began practicing and in 1856 he wedded Mary H. Leonard, a native of this county born January 23, 1837. To this union were born twelve children, ten of whom are living. The eldest son, Charles N., is a graduate of Vanderbilt University and is a practicing physician. Mr. and Mrs. Cowden are members of the Christian Church, and he is a Democrat in politics. He has the honor of being president of the Duck River Valley Railroad, besides being a director of the road since its completion. He has a farm of 200 acres and has followed his profession for thirty-one years.
ROBERT P. CRUTCHER, farmer
and miller of Marshall County, Tenn., is a son of Robert and Nancy L. (Childress)
Crutcher, and was born in Williamson County, Tenn., February 3, 1828.
He made his home with his parents until twenty-seven years of age, and
acquired a common school education, after which he began doing for himself.
In 1855 he married Mary E. Thompson, who bore him three children:
Hugh M., Mary A., and William B. (deceased). Hugh wedded Jennie Wallace,
and is a farmer and miller; Mary is the wife of Whit Rone, also a farmer
and miller. Mrs. Crutcher was born Septemaber 8, 1831, in Williamson
County, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Soon after his marriage Mr. Crutcher located on the farm where he now lives.
He also worked at the shoe-makerís trade, and had a good custom until 1859,
when he opened a tan-yard where his mill now stands. Shortly after
the close of the
war he erected a small grist and saw-mill, which he ran with a ten-horse thresher engine, but soon tore this building down and erected a fine mill. He owned a farm of 400 acres, part of which he has given to his children, and now owns about 212 acres. He is a stirring business man,
and upright in all his dealings with his follow-men.
SAMUEL A. CRUTCHER, farmer,
is a son of Robert and Nancy L. (Childress) Crutcher, both parents born
and reared in Virginia. The father was born in 1788 and the mother
in 1800. They were united in marriage in 1815, and lived in Virginia
till 1823, when they came to Tennessee and settled in Williamson County,
where they passed the remainder of their days.
They reared eleven children, nine of whom are living at the present time. The mother died in 1861 and the father in 1866. Our subject was born October 14, 1818, in Amherst County, Va., and when five years old came with his parents to Williamson County. He received a rather
limited education, and at the age of twenty-one began the free life of a farmer, In 1843 he married Catherine P. Blackwell, a native of Kentucky, born February 22, 1822, and the fruits of this union were an interesting family of ten children, eight of whom are living. Having
saved his earnings Mr. Crutcher bought a sixty-acre tract of land, which he afterward sold, and bought the farm of 282 acres where he now lives, going in debt for nearly all of it. By hard work and good management he paid for it in three years. Mr. Crutcher is a Democrat, and he and wife
are church members, he of the Cumberland Presbyterian and she of the Methodist Protestant Church. For twenty-six years he has been a citizen of Marshall County, and enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him.
is a son of Robert and Nancy L. (Childress) Crutcher (for further particulars
of parents see sketch of Samuel A. Crutcher), and was born November 16,
1833, in Williamson County. During his youth he had good advantages
for receiving an education, but did not make the best use of them, a fact
he has regretted all his life. In
1861 he enlisted in Company D, First Tennessee Infantry, Confederate Army, and during the four years of service was never taken prisoner. At the battle of Chickamauga he was struck by a minie-ball, inflicting an ugly flesh wound. Having returned and farmed a year he turned his
attention to the profession of dentistry. In 1866 he married May L. Hays, who was born in Maury County, June 9, 1846. This union was blessed by the birth of nine children. Mr. Crutcher is a Democrat, and he and wife and three of the boys are members of the Missionary Baptist
Church. Our subject has now practiced his profession in this country about nineteen years and has received a liberal patronage from the people.