(click on each child to view their descendants)
Generation No. 1
1. ELISHA2 OGLESBY (ELISHA1) was born December 29, 1758 in Craven County, SC, and died October 03, 1845 in Echo, Macon Co., TN. He married (1) MARY 'POLLY' BRYAN April 17, 1781 in Boonesborough, Ky, daughter of JAMES BRYAN and REBECCA ENOCHS. She was born December 13, 1765, and died 1798. He married (2) SELAH ROGERS 1799. She died September 04, 1842 in Echo, Macon Co., TN.
Notes for ELISHA OGLESBY:
From: David Patrick Bryan's website From: Frankfort Kentucky
Comments: We have traced our family (BRYAN) to Brian Boru (Boru is not a surname but means "He of the Tribute"). Brian Boru was King of all Ireland 1002- 1014. Also traced it to Sir Francis I Baronet Chevalier. Sir Francis I was the son of Sir Thomas Bryan. Sir Francis I was also cousin of Catherine Howard and Anne Boleyn (both Queens of England), and one of the brightest ornaments in the court of King Henry VIII.
Elisha and wife Mary BRYAN lived in Washington Co., VA in 1776 when he enlisted in the Rev. War. He moved to TN in 1784 to what is now Sumner, Co. [oglesby.FTW]
Elishia married a Mary BRYAN(T) daughter of James BRYAN son of Morgan BRYAN, they were married in Daniel BOONE'S house in Boonesboro, KY. I have the pension papers for Elisha (He mentions Daniel BOONE in these papers). Elisha fought in the Battle of Kings Mountain. you can see most of the sources for this at www.woodmore.com. Mary BRYAN came to TN with Elishia in the late 1700 (about 1787 tax rolls of Sumner county TN). The rest of the BRYAN's went west with the BOONE's. Daniel BOONE got ticked at KY over a land dispute and went to Missouri where he died and was buried. Years later KY had his body removed and brought back to KY for burial. The BRYAN line is well documented, Morgan BRYAN and Squire BOONE were very close friends. So whereever the BOONE's went the BRYAN's were close by. BRYAN Station Kentucky was founded close to Boonesboro .
More About ELISHA OGLESBY and SELAH ROGERS:
Children of ELISHA OGLESBY and MARY BRYAN are:
- i. ELIZABETH3 OGLESBY, b. January 29, 1782, Washington Co, VA; d. June 19, 1837.
- ii. JAMES OGLESBY, b. October 11, 1783, Washington, Va.
- iii. DANIEL OGLESBY, b. December 23, 1785, Sumner Co., TN; d. December 12, 1859.
- iv. HANNAH OGLESBY, b. October 01, 1787, Sumner Co., TN; m. RANDEL OWENS, June 11, 1805, Sumner Co., TN.
- v. NELLY OGLESBY, b. March 19, 1793, Sumner Co., TN.
- vi. PEGGY OGLESBY, b. April 10, 1795, Sumner Co., TN.
Children of ELISHA OGLESBY and SELAH ROGERS are:
- vii. ELISHA3 OGLESBY, b. June 23, 1800; d. March 05, 1879.
- viii. WESLEY OGLESBY, b. September 16, 1801; d. March 30, 1854.Wesley was Justice of Peace for Macon Co., TN in 1850.
Burial: Macon Co., TN, Oglesby Cemetery
- ix. WILLIAM OGLESBY, b. January 16, 1803.
- x. JOHN MCGEE OGLESBY, b. August 01, 1804; m. NANCY R RICKMAN, April 03, 1833.
- xi. FRANCES OGLESBY, b. January 25, 1806; d. June 1837.
- xii. ALICE OGLESBY, b. February 17, 1807.
- xiii. STEPHEN OGLESBY, b. January 16, 1809; d. March 1809.
- xiv. HENRY OGLESBY, b. January 04, 1810; d. February 19, 1898.Burial: Macon County, TN, Oglesby Cemetery.
- xv. PRISCILLA OGLESBY, b. February 22, 1812; d. July 1828.
- xvi. CLIFTON ALLEN OGLESBY, b. July 21, 1814; d. March 10, 1888.
- xvii. SALLY OGLESBY, b. April 01, 1816.