Goodspeed's Henry County Biographies - H surnames

Capt. W. D. Hallum, a native of Tennessee, was born January 23, 1830, and is a son of Morris and Nancy (Marshall) Hallum, natives respectively of North Carolina and Virginia. The father was born January 5, 1785, immigrated to Tennessee at a very early date, when the State was in its infancy, and here died January 17, 1858. The mother was born January 26, 1779, and died October 12, 1859. The Captainís grandfather Hallum was a native of North Carolina, and his grandfather Marshall a native of Virginia. Their parents were originally from England, and consequently our subject is of English descent. At the age of sixteen he enlisted in the Mexican war in the Second Tennessee Infantry, Mauryís company, was out about six months, when he was discharged on account of ill health. He remained with his father till twenty-one years of age, when he engaged in farming for himself, and this continued up to the time of the late war. He then organized a company in Henry County, and joined the Fifth Tennessee Infantry, Travisí regiment. He started with his command from Union City, went to Columbus, Ky., and while there was made provost-marshal. At New Madrid, Mo., he was shot through the neck, which disabled him from active duty for about six weeks. He then joined his command at Corinth, Miss., and was again wounded, shot through the left arm. He received still another wound at Athens, Ala., but at the end of six weeks was again ready for duty. At the close of the war he returned home and engaged in farming, in connection with the real estate business. In 1867 he engaged in the merchandise business and sold goods at three or four different towns till 1876, when he began farming and has continued this up to the present time. January, 1850, he married Delia Barham, and this union resulted in the birth of six children: Mollie, Clinton, Frankie, Susan, William and Katie. Mr. Hallum is an unswerving Democrat in politics.

Green D. Hancock, blacksmith, at Paris, was born in Henry County, in 1843, and is one of eight children, two of whom are living. His father, Henry Hancock, was born in North Carolina in 1803, and was of English lineage. He immigrated to Wilson County with his parents when but a boy, and at the age of twenty-five married Priscilla Hancock, a native of Wilson County, born about 1807. After their marriage they came to Henry County, but soon returned to Wilson County. Here they remained till 1851, when he removed to Stewart County. In early life he had run a shoe factory in Lebanon, but abandoned that and engaged in farming, which he continued the remainder of his life. He died about 1853. The mother died about 1850. Our subject being left an orphan at an early age, found parental care with his eldest brother, James W., with whom he remained till eighteen years of age. He received a fair education principally at Cherry Valley, in Wilson County. May, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, First Tennessee Cavalry and served during the entire war, without receiving a wound or being captured. He then returned home and resumed his blacksmithing. January 3, 1874, he married Rachel J., daughter of Thomas Howell, of Stewart County, and has five children, four now living: Evan W., Harry D., Vera Edna and Nettie Anna. In 1875 Mr. Hancock came to Paris and continued his business at this place. In 1882 he, in company with Ewing McVay, established a wagon and carriage manufactory at the corner of Market and Blair Streets. The firm is now known as Hancock & McVay, and is one of the most successful enterprises of the kind in the city. In politics Mr. Hancock is a Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Horatio Seymour. He is a member of the K. of H., and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

Preston G. Haynes, was born March 14, 1814 in Robertson County, Tenn., and is a son of Thomas Haynes, a native of Virginia, who immigrated to Tennessee, at a very early date and settled in Robertson County. Our subjectís paternal grandfather was a native of Scotland and he together with two of his sons were Revolutionary soldiers. His maternal grandfather, Samuel Gilbert, was also a Revolutionary soldier and a native of Erinís Green Isle. Preston remained with his father till nineteen years of age after which he began clerking in a merchandise establishment but owing to failing health was obliged to resign. He worked on a farm till the beginning of the Mexican war, when he organized a company which he conducted to New Orleans and committed to Capt. James M. Scantlin. He was immediately detailed as recruiting officer, and April, 1847, he was appointed first lieutenant of Company G, Fourteenth Tennessee Infantry, by James K. Polk. At the close of the war he returned home and for three years had very poor health. In 1852 he was appointed deputy sheriff, which office he filled for a period of four years. In 1858 he was elected to fill the office of sheriff and occupied this position till the breaking out of the late war. He was also engaged in merchandising at that time, but closed out his business about 1860 and engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he has continued to the present time. Previous to this, in 1838, he served the people six years as magistrate and was re-elected in 1844 and has served from that time to the present, with the exception of the time he was in the Mexican war and also during the late war. He came to this county in 1819 and camped the first night after crossing the Tennessee River within thirty yards of the place where he now resides. February 12, 1834, he married Minerva Hayes and this union resulted in the birth of ten children. Those living are John P., Martha J., wife of N. J. Barham, and Minerva E., wife of B. J. Allen. Mr. Haynes is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and a Democrat in politics.

William H. Hudson, was born December 4, 1829, in St. Johnsbury, Vt., in which State he was reared and educated. In 1853 he moved to Loudon, Tenn., and there worked at the railroad business, having charge of a gang of track layers. He remained there three years and then went to Memphis, where he continued his business and undertook contracting, laying track by contract on the road from Humboldt to Clarksville, Tenn. During the war he was engaged in manufacturing cotton yarn, purchasing the Blanton mills in Henry County, Tenn., which were erected in 1857 by J. W. Blanton. Mr. Hudson continued in this business till the close of 1867 when he went to St. Louis and engaged in a wholesale grocery and manufacturing tobacco. Although he did not move there he conducted the business at that place about six years and also engaged in merchandising at Paris for two years during that time. He was instrumental in establishing the Commercial Bank of Paris, being one of its first stockholders, and is now president of the same, also the largest stockholder. At Big Sandy, in Benton County, he has been merchandising since 1878 and is now operating an extensive stove factory there in connection with his son. He was married December 27, 1864, to Miss Mary M. Wygul of Benton County; this union resulted in the birth of five children; only one, Charles P., is now living. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Politically Mr. Hudson is a Republican. He is one of the most thrifty business men of the county, and a highly respected citizen.

Henry A. Humphreys, farmer, was born in Henry County, Tenn., in 1839, and is a son of Henry and Susanna (Paschal) Humphreys. The father was born in North Carolina in 1802, received a very limited education, married in his native State and came to Henry County about 1825, being among the very early settlers of that region. He died in 1881. Mrs. Humphreys was born in North Carolina in 1804, and is still living on the old home farm in the Thirteenth District. Henry A. was reared at home and educated in the common schools of Henry County, but afterward attended two years in Murray, Ky. He taught school for several years, and November, 1861, enlisted in Company G, First Tennessee Cavalry, as a Confederate soldier. He remained in the service till the final surrender, participating in all the engagements in which his command took part and escaped without a wound. After returning from the war he engaged in mercantile pursuits for about a year. January 1868, he married Mrs. Malinda Dumas, a native of Henry County, born in 1837, and the daughter of James and Isabella Walker. To Mr. and Mrs. Humphreys were born seven children, four living: Maud, Jennie, Lillie, and Fisher. Mr. Humphreys has since resided in his present home, and is now the owner of 550 acres of valuable land. In politics he is a Democrat, and his first presidential vote was for John C. Breckenridge in 1860.

Prof. T. H. M. Hunter, was born in Marshall County, a son of Elihu W. and Susan (Wilson) Hunter. The mother died when our subject was young and he was reared by an uncle, receiving a good education at the Cumberland University, from which institution he graduated in the class of 1863. He enlisted in Company C., Eleventh Tennessee Cavalry, and served nearly three years. After returning from the war he entered upon the profession of teaching in his native county, continuing there until 1872, when he became professor of mathematics in Bethel College, McKenzie, Tenn., for three years, since which time he has been at Paris connected with the Paris Male High School, which afterward became the Paris public school, and of which he is now the principal. He was three years of this time not connected with these schools, but was in Texas. In 1870 he married Elia Baker, once connected with the school at Columbia and Winchester. One son was born to this union, and was only two years of age when he died. The mother died in 1877, and in 1880 Prof. Hunter wedded Bettie Atkins, daughter of Gen. J. D. C. Atkins, and the fruit of this union was one child, a son, named Atkins. Mr. and Mrs. Hunter are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Hunter, besides school-teaching, is engaged in agricultural pursuits.

BACK