Goodspeed's Henry County Biographies - C surnames

Col. Robert D. Caldwell, farmer, tobacco raiser and general trader, is a prominent citizen of the Twenty-first District. He is a native of Sumner County, born in 1811, and is one of seven children-two now living-born to James and Mary (Davis) Caldwell. The father of our subject was of Irish ancestry, born in Virginia. He was a wheelwright by trade and came with his father, who was a native of Ireland, to Sumner County where he married and afterward moved to Montgomery County. In 1826 he came to Henry County where he lived until his death in November, 1848, Mrs. Caldwell was a native of Sumner County, and died in 1824. Robert D. lived at home and received his education in the common schools of Montgomery and Sumner Counties. In February, 1832, he married Miss Sarah Dupree and to them were born nine children, four of whom are living; Dr. Samuel H. Caldwell of Paris; Mary, wife of Alex Wilson; Alice, now Mrs. James Ray, of North Carolina, and Minerva, now Mrs. Samuel Miller. February 25, 1856, the mother died and November, 1857, Col. Caldwell married Mrs. Emily Mitchum, daughter of Reddick and Mary A. Hillsman, of Carroll county. They have one child, Yancy Quitman. Col. Caldwell first settled on the farm on which he now resides, fourteen miles from Paris, owning at that time 1,000 acres, but through his untiring energy and unceasing devotion to business and being possessed of extraordinary financial and business capacity, has become one of the most extensive land owners of Henry County, owning nearly 3,000 acres of land in that county. He owns 200 acres within the corporation of Dallas, Tex., which is very valuable, and several thousand acres in Mississippi. He is a man of considerable information and ability and in early days was for several years constable, and in the days of general muster served as captain, major and colonel. In politics he is a lifelong Democrat; cast his first presidential vote for Martin Van Buren in 1836, and has been an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over forty years. Mrs. Caldwell was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1824, and is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Her parents were natives of Franklin County, N. C. The father died in 1857. The mother still lives at the age of eighty-seven years and resides in Carroll County. Mrs. Caldwell bore her first husband two children-Mary R., wife of W. D. Morris, and Albert B.

Dr. S. H. Caldwell, one of the leading citizens of the county, was born December 10, 1836, near Paris in Henry County, Tenn., and is a son of R. D. Caldwell, now an extensive farmer and tobacco manufacturer at what is locally known as Pine Hill. Our subject grew to manhood on a farm and in 1855 graduated from the Cumberland University of Lebanon. He entered upon the study of medicine, and in 1858 graduated from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. He then located in Paris and began practicing, where he continued very successfully until 1874, when he retired from practice and engaged in stemming and handling leaf tobacco, which he now continues prizing about 500 hogsheads per year. He also carries on his farming interest. In 1861 he married Mary R. Thompson, a daughter of William H. Thompson, who was a merchant of Paris. Four children were born to this union-two sons and two daughters: Alice, Juliett, William H. and Robert D. Mrs. Caldwell is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Caldwell is a Democrat in politics and has been chairman of the Democratic County Committee. He has also served as delegate to the State Convention, etc., and is a very active member of his party.

William L. Carter, Jr., attorney at law at Paris, was born in Henry County, Tenn., in 1848, and is one of a family of four children born to William L.. and Mary (Biles) Carter. The father was born in Davidson County, Tenn., in 1804, and received his education in the rustic schoolhouse of the forest. He came to this county in 1824, being one of its first settlers, and is one of the few men who settled in the county at that early day who is living. Mrs. Carter died in 1829, and in 1831 he married Arabella Sessum, of Humphreys County, who died in May 1886. Mr. Carter is now living on the farm, where he settled in 1831 two miles south of Henry Station. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, and received his education in Henry Station Academy. He began life by clerking in his fatherís store, and in 1868 commenced the study of law without any preceptor. He was admitted to the bar in 1874, and since that time has been actively engaged in his profession in Paris, where he has an extensive and lucrative practice. In 1880 he formed a partnership with W. M. Janes, the firm being familiarly known as Carter & Janes. In 1874 our subject was elected magistrate of the Paris District, which position he held six years. In about 1876 he was appointed county revenue commissioner, which position he continues to hold. March 7, 1871, he married Sarah Alice Gallion, a native of Carroll County, Tenn., born in 1854, and the daughter of Frank B. and L. Gallion. To our subject and wife were born three children: Alice Ray, May F. and William L. In politics Mr. Carter is a Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Horace Greeley. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, I. O. G. T. and O. O. of H., also of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1884 he, in company with F. B. and R. E. Gallion (his brother-in-law), established a pottery manufactory in Paris, in which enterprise he is still connected. Mrs. Carter is a member of the Christian Church.

L. Cherry, of the firm of Cherry & Purath, established his livery barn, etc., in 1871, and has continued it successfully ever since, taking in E. Purath as a partner in January, 1886. Mr. Cherry was born March 15, 1841, and is a son of Albert G. Cherry, a farmer of this county, and a native of Davidson County, who died in 1856. He was also a merchant for some time when a young man. The mother of our subject, Eliza Bradley, was born and reared near Lebanon, Tenn. Our subject was reared on a farm, and when a young man, in 1861, he enlisted in the Fifth Tennessee Regiment of Infantry and served four years. He was wounded with a bayonet by bushwhackers, and by a gunshot in the shoulder. After returning from the war he engaged in the retail grocery business in Paris, where he continued till he engaged in his present business. He is also transfer agent for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad out as far as Murray, Ky. In 1865 he married J. L. Martin, of Ballard County, Ky. and they have three children: Mattie, who died at eleven years of age; Albert G. and Lafayette. Mrs. Cherry and oldest son are members of the Christian Church. In politics Mr. Cherry is a firm and active Democrat, and is an enterprising business man. He has one of the best livery stables in the city, with a stock of about $7,000.

William M. Coffman, merchant and prominent citizen of Cottage Grove, was born in Henry County, Tenn., in 1833, and is one of seven children born to John M. and Elizabeth (White) Coffman. The father was born in Davidson County, Tenn., about 1799, and was of German extraction. His father, Issac Coffman, was a native of North Carolina, and settled in Davidson County, Tenn., at a very early day, where he died. John M.ís educational advantages were very meager, and at the age of twenty-one he married and settled in Benton County, and afterward in Henry County, where he owned at one time 600 acres of land. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was an active, energetic man. He died about 1848. His wife, Elizabeth (White) Coffman, was born near Louisville, Ky., about 1797, and was of English descent. She was a cousin of Detective W. L. White, and died in 1871. Our subject was reared by the tender care of a mother and educated in the common schools of Henry County. He commenced life as a tobacco manufacturer, and thus continued for six years. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company G, Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, Confederate Army, and continued in the service during the entire time of hostilities, taking an active part in all but two of the battles in which his command was engaged. After the surrender he returned home and soon after engaged in the mercantile business at Trezevant, Carroll County, where he remained thirteen years. He then came to Henry County and tilled the soil for three years, after which he again engaged in the mercantile business at Cottage Grove, where he remained till 1885, when he retired from business. Mr. Coffman is the owner of about 250 acres of good, productive land in the Eleventh District, also other property. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for James Buchanan, in 1856. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

Simeon W. Cooley, general trader and prominent citizen of Paris, is a son of William M. and Eliza (Booth) Cooley. The father was born in Stewart County, Tenn., in 1822, and received a good practical education. When about twenty-one years of age he was married and became the father of nine children, six of whom are living. In 1878 he removed to Houston County, where he has since resided, engaged in farming, and is considered one of the leading farmers of that vicinity. The mother was also a native of Stewart County. The subject of this sketch was born in Stewart County in 1845, at the same place where his mother was born. He received his education in the common schools, and by his own efforts has since acquired sufficient education to enable him to transact all ordinary business. He is now one of the most practical business men of the city. In 1863 he entered the Confederate service by enlisting in Company B, Eleventh Kentucky Cavalry, and served as first lieutenant during the remainder of the war. June, 1865, he married Addie Sexton, of Stewart County, and by her had three children, one of whom is now living, Mamie. Mrs. Cooley died in 1871, and April, 1873, he married Mattie Brandon, daughter of Col. N. and Minerva Brandon, of Stewart county. By this union our subject became the father of eight children, six of whom are now living; Maurice, William, Minerva, Daisy, Henry and Harry. Mr. Cooley commenced life as a tiller of the soil, but at the end of one year he engaged in the grocery business at Dover. He was proprietor of the Commercial House for one year, and while a resident of Stewart County was made deputy sheriff, which office he held for four years. In 1875 he removed to Houston County, where he remained till 1882, engaged in the mercantile business, etc. He then came to Big Sandy Mills, Henry County, and at the end of two years moved to Paris, purchasing a one-third interest in the Paris Roller Mills. He now owns a two-thirds interest of the same, which is one of the best mills in this part of the State. Mr. Cooley is also the owner of 247 acres in Fayette County, 200 acres in Stewart County, 537 acres in Henry County, and also an eleven-acre tract in the south part of Paris, on which he has a fine residence. Mr. Cooley is a Democrat in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Horatio Seymour in 1868. Mrs. Cooley was born in Stewart County in 1854, and is an influential member of the Christian Church.

John T. Currier, cotton manufacturer of Paris, was born in Henry County, Tenn., in 1856, and is one of a family of eight children, only two of whom are living: Bettie Ann (Mrs. W. E. Weldon) and our subject. The father, Nathaniel Currier, was born in Salisbury, Mass., in 1807, and was of Scotch ancestry. He received a good literary and business education, and in 1833 he and his brother, James C., immigrated to Henry County. In 1842 Nathaniel married Martha Manly, by whom he had two children, one living, Mrs. Ann Mathewson, of Florida. Mrs. Currier died about 1847, and in 1849 he married Maria L. Blanton, of Frankfort, Ky., born in 1824, and who is still living on the old farm. When he first came to Henry County, he and his brother, James C., purchased 309 acres of land, one and a half miles northeast of Paris, on which they established their manufacturing business, and where they continued till 1869, when Nathaniel purchased J. C.ís interest. They established the business in a wooden building 30x40 feet, and in 1879 superseded it by a more commodious brick structure, 40x100 feet, erected by J. T. Currier and mother. In 1882 Mrs. Weldon entered as a third party, and the firm is now known as John T. Currier & Co. Mr. Nathaniel Currier continued his business without intermission during the Rebellion, it being the only establishment of the kind not disturbed at that time. He died in 1877. Our subject was educated in Lexington, Ky., at the Transylvania University, and in 1878 married Belle Shepard, a native of Illinois, born in 1859, and the daughter of C. R. and L.. Shepard, of Arkansas. By this union our subject became the father of three children, only one now living, John Nathaniel. In politics Mr. Currier is strictly conservative, casting his first presidential vote for Gen. Hancock. Mr. and Mrs. Currier and mother are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

BACK