Goodspeed's Henry County Biographies - A surnames

Judge Clinton Aden, was born in Paris, Tenn., October 12, 1835, and is a son of Harvey E. and Louisa M. (Brown) Aden. The father was born in Charleston, S. C., in 1808 and when young moved to Simpson County, Ky., and from there to Williamson County, Tenn., where he married in 1829. He was a carpenter by occupation and died October 27, 1884. The mother was a native of Lunenburg County, Va., born in 1811, and came to Williamson County, Tenn., when a girl; she is still living in Paris. Judge Aden was reared and educated in Paris and also attended Bethany College, Virginia, under Alexander Campbell for two years. He worked at the carpenter trade until about twenty-three years of age when he began reading law under Judge McCampbell. At the end of eighteen months he attended one term of law school at Cumberland University and was licensed by Judge Fitzgerald and Judge Williams in 1859. He practiced until 1861 when he enlisted in the Confederate Army in Capt. Conwayís company of the Fifth Regiment and was promoted to captaincy in a cavalry company of the Tenth Tennessee. He remained in the service till the close of the war and then resumed his profession, which he continued until 1874 when he was elected to the State Senate for one term. He then resumed his practice until April 30, 1879, when he was appointed judge of the Twelfth Circuit. He was elected to the office in 1880 to fill the un-expired term closing in 1886. As a practitioner Judge Aden has been very successful. In 1865 he married Mary Fuqua of Carroll County, and the fruits of this union were seven children, viz: John B., Harvey F., William H., Clinton, Sheila, Thomas B. and Mary L. The mother of these children died December 13, 1884, having been a member of the Christian Church. Judge Aden has always been a Democrat in politics and an active member of his party. As a judge his decisions have always been characterized by deliberation and impartiality.

Capt. D. F. Alexander, liveryman of Paris, senior member of the firm of Alexander & Barton, established in 1865 the business which he has continued up to the present time. In 1883, Mr. C. C. Barton became a partner and has so remained from that time up to this date. Mr. Alexander was born in Henry County in 1838 and is one of two children born to Dr. Marion and Delilah (Crutchfield) Alexander. The father was a native of South Carolina, and a physician and surgeon by profession. He also followed mercantile pursuits for some time. About 1842 he went to sea and has never been heard from since. His wife was a native of North Carolina, and died about 1878 at the age of nearly forty-nine. Our subject was reared at home and received his education in the schools of Paris. He remained with his mother till twenty years of age, when he went to Salisbury, Tenn., and began clerking in a dry goods store. At the breaking out of the late war he enlisted in the Confederate Army May 20, 1861, in Company F, Fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and was elected sergeant. After the reorganization of the army in 1862 he came home and organized the escort company for Gen. Lyons, Mr. Alexander being made captain of the same. He fought at Belmont, Hopkins (Ky.), Shiloh, Ft. Donelson and numerous minor skirmishes. In one of the battles he was wounded in the right thigh, which resulted in keeping him from active duty nearly a year. He is yet lame from the wound. In May, 1865, after an absence of four years, he returned home and in the same year established his livery and feed stable. December, 1865, he married Nellie Wright, a native of Paris, Tenn., and the daughter of Thornton Wright. They have two children: Eva and Mattie. Mr. Alexander has been one of the leading business men of Paris for the past twenty-four years, and is the oldest liveryman in the city. He has been in the business so long that he knows thoroughly the wants of the traveling public. He keeps on an average, eighteen horses, nine single buggies, four hacks, three wagons, and all else that is necessary for a first-class stable. Mr. Alexander is a stanch Democrat in politics and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

John Anderson, carriage and wagon-maker, of Paris, was born in Pennsylvania in 1825, son of Robert and Elizabeth Anderson. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, born about 1797, and was a stonecutter and mason in early life, but later a farmer. He was a man of marked honesty, morality, integrity and great firmness of character. Mrs. Anderson was born in Pennsylvania, and was of Scotch ancestry; she died in 1882. Our subject was reared principally by his mother, as his father had died when our subject was but fourteen years of age. When about nineteen years of age he was apprenticed to A. B. and R. Patterson, of Pittsburgh, Penn., to learn the carriage and wagon trade, with whom he remained for several years. In 1849 he came to Henry County and located in Manlyville, established his business at that place, and continued there till 1854. He then came to Paris and has followed the carriage and wagon making trade till 1877, with the exception of a few years during the war when his industry was greatly damaged. In 1855 he married Isabella W. Brown, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1829, and a devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. By this union they had six children, five of whom are living: Robert A., Nellie (Mrs. Mitchum), Charles B., Anna and Elizabeth L. (Mrs. James Thomason). Soon after the war Mr. Anderson was appointed circuit court clerk and in 1866 was elected to the same office, which he continued to hold for one term. He has served several terms as mayor of the city of Paris and in 1882 was appointed postmaster of the same place, holding this office for a term of four years to the entire satisfaction of the people. He started in life a poor boy but has managed his business affairs in a highly successful manner. He is the present owner of considerable real estate in town, also of a farm a short distance from town. In politics Mr. Anderson was formerly a Whig, and cast his first vote for Gen. Taylor in 1848. Since the war he has been a Republican. He is a prominent member of the K. of H. and the K. and L. of H.

Hon. J. D. C. Atkins was born near Paris, Henry Co., Tenn., June 4, 1825, son of John and Sarah (Manly) Atkins, natives of Anson County, N. C. After moving to Montgomery County and soon afterward to Stewart County, Tenn., they finally, in 1823, removed to Henry County, and here passed the remainder of their days. The motherís death occurred in 1827 and the fatherís in 1847. The father was a farmer and a dealer in real estate, etc., and was a man of fine financial means. He took great interest in his countyís affairs and was one of its most respected citizens. Both parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, and graduated from the East Tennessee University in 1846. He then read law, but on account of bad health left his profession and soon became enlisted in political pursuits. In 1849 he was elected to the Legislature, and re-elected in 1851. In 1855 he was elected to the State Senate and in 1856 was an elector on the Buchanan ticket, being, of course, one of the electoral college for Buchanan and Breckenridge. He was nominated to represent the Ninth District in Congress in 1857, and carried his election against a standing Whig majority by a very spirited contest. He was defeated in 1859 by a majority of eight votes, and although pressed by his friends to contest the election declined to do so. In 1860 he was a delegate to the Charleston convention and advocated the compromise or Tennessee platform. He was also a delegate to the Baltimore convention, and was an elector in the Ninth Congressional District of Tennessee on the Breckenridge ticket. In 1861 he advocated the Crittenden compromise, and took an active interest in public discussions; was elected lieutenant-colonel of the Fifth Tennessee, Confederate States Army, May 20, 1861, and was elected to the provisional Confederate Congress, without solicitation on his part. In Nov., 1861, he was elected to the permanent Congress, and re-elected in 1863 by the soldiers, receiving the largest number of votes of any member of the Congress. He served on the committee of post-offices, post roads and military affairs, and at the conclusion of his services was on the committee of foreign affairs. He introduced the resolution which effected the Hampton Roads conference. At the close of the war he resumed farming, and has continued that occupation ever since. In 1867 he, with two other gentlemen, founded the Paris Intelligencer, and continued several years as editor. In 1872 he was nominated over Dorsey Thomas and elected over Col. Travis and W. W. Murray, to Congress; re-nominated without opposition, and re-elected in the years 1874, 1876, 1878,1880, and 1882. He retired in March, 1883, not allowing his name to be again presented before the convention. He was a member of the committee on appropriations eight years, four of which he was chairman of the committee. He remained at home until March, 1885, when he was nominated by the President, and unanimously confirmed by the Senate without reference to a committee, as commissioner of Indian affairs. He was chairman of the State convention to appoint delegates to the National convention in 1884, was elector of the State at large on the Cleveland and Hendricks ticket, but, owing to ill health, made a limited canvass. Mr. Atkins is a man of home enterprise; always patronizes the schools, churches and other institutions of that character. In 1847 he married Miss Elizabeth Porter, a daughter of Col. William Porter, a very prominent and dearly beloved citizen of Henry County. To our subject and wife were born five children: Sarah (Mrs. Hugh P. Dunlap), Bettie (Mrs. Prof. F. H. Hunter), John D., Mattie and Clintie (wife of Dudley Porter, second son of Gov. J. D. Porter). Mr. Atkins and wife and Mrs. Hunter are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Dunlap is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Atkins is politically a firm State-rights Democrat.

BACK