Dr. James N. Maclin, a physician and surgeon residing in the Third District of Haywood County, was born in 1842 in Tipton County, and is the son of James B. and Lucy (Taylor) Maclin, being one of twelve children - four living. The father was of Scotch-Irish ancestry, born in Mecklenburg County, Va., about 1800; moved to Tipton County when a young man, and in 1839 married there and engaged in farming. In early life he was a successful physician, being a graduate of the Medical College at Philadelphia, Penn. He died in 1858. Mrs. Maclin was born in Warren County, N. C., in 1815, and died in 1869. They were both Old School Presbyterians and highly esteemed citizens. Dr. James N. Maclin was educated at La Grange (Ky.) Synodical College, and at Danville College, Danville, Ky. In 1861 he donned the gray uniform and was in Company B, of the Seventh Tennessee Cavalry and served until the war closed, being in all of the engagements his Company was in. In 1867 he commenced reading medicine under Dr. Terry, of Tipton County, and the same year entered the Yandle Medical College, at Louisville, Ky.; graduated in 1869, and commenced practicing at Mason, Tenn.; in 1883 moved to his present location. Dr. Maclin has been a very successful physician and a very popular one. He owns 500 acres of land near Keeling. May, 1869, he married Miss Florence, daughter of R. T. and Frances Broadnax, of Fayette County, where she was born in 1849. They have four children: Richard B., Florence T., James N. and an infant. Mrs. Maclin is an Old School Presbyterian. Dr. Maclin is conservative in politics; his first presidential vote was cast for Horace Greeley. He is a man of culture and of fine social qualities, and is liked by all who know him.
Dr.Thomas R. Meux, a prominent physician and farmer of the Third District, was born near Stanton, August, 1838, and is the son of John 0. and A. P. (Tuggle) Meux; was one of eight children, three sons and one daughter living. The father was of French ancestry, born in Virginia in 1809. His grandfather, Richard Meux, was also a native of Virginia, and afterward moved to Huntsville, Ala., where he died. John 0. Meux was raised and educated in Alabama, and married in 1832. About 1830 he moved to Haywood County, locating near Brownsville. In 1837 he moved to Stanton, where he remained until his death, April 1847. Mrs. Meux was born in Prince Edward County, Va., in 1810, and died in February, 1885. Dr. Thomas Meux was educated at the University of Virginia. In 1859 he began the study of medicine under Dr. Morris, Bolling and Darby, of Philadelphia; they were private instructors in the University of Pennsylvania; he graduated March 10, 1860, and commenced practicing at Stanton, but soon after moved to Covington, Tipton Co., Tenn. May, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Ninth Tenn and served twelve months, when he was appointed assistant surgeon (Confederate Army), and in the spring of 1865 the brigade was consolidated in the Fourth Tennessee Regiment, he still held the position, and was paroled at Jonesboro, N. C., May, 1865. Soon after this he located near Brownsville, but in 1871 moved to Brownsville, remaining until 1876, when be returned to the farm, moving to his present farm in 1879. Dr. Meux has made a fine reputation as a physician, and has had an extensive practice; he has also been successful financially, owning 1,260 acres of land where he resides, and a farm near Brownsville, besides real estate in Brownsville. In 1874 he married Miss Mary E., daughter of John C. and Martha E. (Close) Davis, of Brownsville. Mrs. Meux was born in Haywood County in 1855, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Dr. Meux is a steward in the same church, and both are very popular.
Benjamin C. Miles, a resident of the Eighth District of Haywood County, was one of two children born to John and Louisa Miles. He was born December 9, 1846, in Louisa County, Va., and came to Haywood County in 1849, and was raised by Dr. Benjamin Colman, who came to the county in 1844, and died in Brownsville in 1852. Mr. Miles married, in 1877, Mary J., youngest daughter of the late Henry Johnson, and they have four children. Mrs. Miles is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Miles is a Mason, and stands well in the community in which he lives.
Absalom W. Mills, citizen and farmer of Haywood County, was born February 1, 1809, in Spottsylvania County, Va., and was the son of Wyatt and Mary P. (Mills) Mills, both natives of Virginia. Our subject secured by his own efforts a good education and has always been a farmer. January 15, 1834, he married Mary A. White, born in Carolina County, Va., December 20, 1812. In 1835 they moved to Henderson County, Tenn., and lived there two years, then moved to Madison County, residing there ten years. In 1848 Mr. Mills came to Haywood County and settled on the Jackson and Brownsville road nine miles from Brownsville, but two years later he moved his family back to Virginia, but remained there only six or seven months, when he returned to Haywood County and after changing houses live or six times, he bought in 1870 the farm where he now lives. Before the war Mr. Mills was a Whig, but since, he has been a Democrat. About fifty-five years ago he joined the Missionary Baptist Church, and has been a most worthy and consistent member. Mr. and Mrs. Mills had eleven children - seven sons and four daughters. Three sons and two daughters are dead. The names and dates of births are as follows - Lawrence B., born October 15,1834; Lafayette A., March 27, 1836; Mary C., August 15, 1837; George W., September 15, 1839; William H. H., November 20, 1841; Ben F., 1844; Virginia A., August 9, 1846; Susan A., February 14, 1849; Martha V., June 11, 1851; Absalom F., November 8, 1853; John A., August 16, 1859. Martha V. died March 28, 1853; George W. died in the war at Columbus, Miss., May 10, 1862; William H. H. was killed at the battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864; Absalom F. died September 18, 1870; Virginia died March 8, 1881. Lawrence B. was married to Miss Temperance Boothe, October 2, 1856; Mary C. to Joseph H. Sullivan, November 22, 1854; Lafayette A. to Eliza King, August 2, 1858; Susan A. to William D. Joyner, December 1, 1868; Ben F. to Jennie D. Reverly, August 6, 1866, and John A. to Lizzie Naylor, November 10, 1880.
Capt. John M. Moore a very prominent citizen and farmer of Haywood Co., was born in Davidson County, May 1, 1825, and is the son of Amos and Elizabeth (Link) Moore. The father was born in North Carolina in 1801, and the mother in Virginia in 1803. They married in Davidson County in 1823, and moved to Haywood County in 1827, being among the early settlers. The father died in Arkansas, February 13, 1861, while visiting his son John M. who was living in that State then; the mother died in Haywood County in 1876. They were both strict Methodists. Our subject was well educated and has all of his life been a man of literary tastes and a constant reader, consequently he possesses a great deal of general information. He has always engaged in farming. January 12, 1854, he married Mary E. J. Strayhorne, born in Orange County, N. C., November 13, 1835. She moved with her parents to Haywood County in 1836. They have eight children - a son and seven daughters: Lillian J., born December 2, 1854; Texanna F., wife of W. A. Escue, born August 24, 1856 and married December 27, 1877, and now living in Lauderdale County; Lillian J., married Richard R. Cozart, November 14, 1876, and resides in Haywood County; one daughter born in 1858, died an infant unnamed; Byrd L., born January 7, 1860; Sarah B., born March 13, 1868; Jessie A., September 8, 1869, and Mamie O., born November 4, 1872. When the war commenced our subject was living in Arkansas and entered the Confederate service as captain of volunteers, Company E, Fourth Battalion of Infantry and was placed in the Army of Tennessee. His company was in several battles: Richmond, Ky., Murfreesboro, Tenn., Chickamauga and others, and took part in the engagement between Johnston and Sherman, between Dalton and Atlanta. Mr. Moore received several wounds during the war and near Hope Church in Georgia was so severely wounded that he has never recovered from it.
William B. Moore, M. D., a well known and popular practitioner of Haywood County, was born in the county, September 15, 1835, and is the son of Alfred and Elizabeth (Phillips) Moore, both natives of North Carolina. His father was born in 1810, and in 1835 came to Haywood County, settling eleven miles south of Brownsville, and is still living. Dr. Moore's mother was born in 1815, and died in 1848. After finishing his education Dr. Moore went to the medical university at Nashville to study medicine, in 1860-61, but the war coming on, he enlisted in it, and in the fall of 1865-66 he obtained his diploma at that university. In 1866 he went to the New Orleans Medical College, for the purpose of securing a more thorough knowledge of diseases peculiar to the South, then returned to Haywood County and commenced practicing, locating eleven and a half miles west of Brownsville, and met with the most gratifying success. July 24, 1867, he married Miss Eliza J. Hudson, a native of Hardeman County, born July 1, 1840. Unto this union were born seven children-four sons and three daughters - one of each having died. Dr. Moore is a firm Democrat, and with his wife belongs to the Missionary Baptist Church. He is regarded as a well posted physician.
Joseph B. Moore, farmer of the Second District, was born in Haywood County, June 8, 1837, and is the son of John B. Moore, who was born in `837, in North Carolina, near New Berne, and came to Tennessee in 1832, being one of the early settlers of Haywood County, where he died in 1841. Our subject's mother was Martha E. (Jones) Moore, born November 12, 1812, near New Berne, N. C., and died May 15, 1886, at the residence of our subject. Joseph D. Moore was the fourth child of eight children, and is now the only member of the family living, he is of English and Irish extraction, and was raised on a farm. As his father died when he was quite young he had the responsibility of the family and took care of his mother until she died. He has met with fine success in farming. November 28, 1880, he married Mattie L., daughter of J. W. and Sallie Coppedge, of Haywood County. They have three children: William Joseph, Joseph B., and son not named. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and in politics he always supports the Democratic ticket. He is now in comfortable circumstances, the result of his energy and good management, and is a useful citizen. James W. E. Moore, attorney at law at Brownsville, Tenn., is a native of Haywood County, and a son of John Moore, familiarly known as John Bertie Moore, on account of his former home, Bertie County, N. C. He emigrated to this county in 1835, locating on a plantation eight miles west of Brownsville in the Ninth Civil District, where he followed agricultural pursuits very successfully until his death, which occurred in June, 1860. He was one of the large slave-holders of the county. Our subject was educated in the University of Virginia. In 1871 he began the study of law in that institution and the following year was admitted to practice at the Brownsville bar, where he has remained to the present time. He has been eminently successful in his legal profession, and is considered an efficient member of the bar. December, 1874, he married Mary M., daughter of the late Col. James P. Wood, one of the pioneer merchants and prominent citizens of Brownsville. Three children - a son and two daughters - were born to this union. Mr. Moore is an unswerving Democrat in politics, and is recognized as one among the public-spirited citizens of Brownsville and a legal practitioner of ability and experience.
Maj. J. W. Murnan, citizen and farmer of the Third District, engaged also in cotton-ginning, is the son of Patrick and Mary (Whaton) Murnan, and was born in Ireland, March 21, 1841, being one of three children, all living. The father was born in Ireland about 1805, marrying about 1823; he had a good education, and moved to the United States in 1850, settling in Pennsylvania; in 1854 went to Nicollet County, Minn., and died in 1879. The mother was born in Ireland and died in 1841, and in 1852 Mr. Murnan married Mary E. Strange, by whom he had four children, three now living. When Maj. J. W. Murnan was seventeen years old he left home and was an employee of the government at Fort Ridgeley, Minn., where he continued until the commencement of the war, when he entered the quartermaster's department and remained until the end of the service. February, 1866, he married Miss Roach, daughter of Phillip and Kate Roach, of Memphis, they had seven children, five living: James R., Mary W., Lizzie L., Blanche and Alice. Mr. Murnan remained in Memphis for two years after marriage; in 1868 purchased the farm where he now resides, and has since given his attention to farming, owning 300 acres of productive land. Mr. and.Mrs. Murnan are both Catholics; he is a Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for S. A. Douglas; he is a Mason, and belongs to the K. of H. and K. of P., and is an industrious man and good citizen.
John Naill, a well-known citizen and farmer of Haywood County, was born in Madison County, December 11, 1831, and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Barclay) Naill. The father was born in Ireland about 1782, and came with his parents to America at an early age, settling in North Carolina, but in early life he moved to East Tennessee; in two or three years he moved to Wilson County, living there until 1820, then moved to Madison County, and died in March, 1845, being a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church. The mother was a native of Knox County, Tenn., born about 1809, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; she died in April,1842. Our subject is the eighth of eleven children; he secured a good education, and while still young came to Haywood County and lived three years with an uncle. At the age of twenty-two he moved to Brownsville and clerked at a hotel for six years, and in the meantime was elected town constable. In 1861 he went to Memphis, and engaged in the livery stable business about a year, then bought and sold cotton until 1866. November 30, 1870, he married Miss Kitty B. Williams, a native of Dyer County, born in January, 1842. They had five sons and two daughters; two of the sons are dead. In 1867-48 he was assistant assessor of the United States internal revenue, then for a year he dealt in furniture at Brownsville, at the same time trading in stock and speculating in cotton. In 1872 he was elected tax collector, and when the State Legislature consolidated the office of tax collector and trustee, he was re-elected to the latter. In 1880 he settled on his present farm. In 1881 he was appointed by Gov. Alvin Hawkins as commissioner from West Tennessee to assess the railroad and telegraph property of the State. In politics he always warmly supports the Republican party. He inclines to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, though he was not united with any.
Hon. David A. Nunn, ex-secretary of the State, and attorney at law of Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Haywood County July 26, 1833, son of David and Alice (Koonce) Nunn, both natives of North Carolina. The father came to this county in 1827, and located in the northern part, where he followed farming successfully for the remainder of his life. He died in Brownsville. David A. was reared on a farm in his native county, attended West Tennessee College of Jackson, Tenn., and here received a good English education, also a general knowledge of classics. In 1851 or 1852 he began the study of law with a view to making it a profession, and entered the Lebanon Law School soon after, from which be graduated in 1853. He then began to practice in Somerville, Fayette County, and at the end of two years came here, where he engaged regularly in the practice of his profession. This he continued until 1866, when he represented this county in the state Legislature. In 1868 he was elected congressman of the United States to represent the Memphis District. In 1872 he represented the Ninth Congressional District in the United States Congress, and in 1881 was elected to the office of secretary of State, serving in this important office in a faithful and highly efficient manner one term of four years. Immediately after the war he was elected State Senator, but declined to serve on account of the chaotic state of the polls at that time. Since retiring from public office Mr. Nunn has resumed the practice of his profession at Brownsville. He war, originally an old line Whig in his political views, and since the war has been a stanch Republican, and as such has been elected to the various high and responsible offices he has held. He is chairman of Haywood County, representing the executive committee, and has been a member of the State executive committee. In 1853 he married Mary E. Thompson, who died about 1873, leav ing three children, two now living: Cordie (wife of Maldin Poston), and Minnie G. Two years after his wife's death Mr. Nunn was united in marriage to his present wife, Miss Tennessee Whitehead, of this county, and three children resulted from this union: Carl, Frank and Coe. Mr. Nunn is an ancient Mason and a K. of P., and is hold in high esteem as one among the public spirited and enterprising citizens of Haywood County.
22 Nov 2007