The community has been known as Jones or Jones Station and had its beginning with the coming of the railroad prior to the Civil War. Sometime in the late 1850's, possibly 1857, social unrest halted railroad construction at Brownsville. Between 1857 and the end of the war a Mr. Jones, father of Ned Jones, gave about 4 acres of land at the railroad as a train stop for shipping and receiving goods. The earliest record of shipping is in the 1900's. The last crossties were loaded in 1965.
The post office was established in 1895 with Dave McNeil as Postmaster.
The first worship services in the area were in homes, then "brush arbor" and later the warehouse alternating twice a month with Methodist and Baptist ministers. As time went on most became affiliated with Allens Baptist, Holly Grove, Providence or Zion.
22 Nov 2007