Tennessee Historical Markers
in Hamblen County

Let's take a road trip through Hamblen County
Along the way, we'll look at each of the Tennessee Historical Markers.
Have a great trip!
 


1 B 28

Bent Creek Church

U.S. 11-E, in Whitesburg, First Baptist Church

This Baptist Church is successor to the church established about one mile southwest, b Elder Tidence Lane and Elder William Murphy in 1785.  A cemetery is near the original church site, which stood on the Old Stage Road from Abingdon to Knoxville.  This road, made by immigrant pioneers, followed game and Indian trails.  

 

Related Links:

 

Bent Creek Cemetery

 


1 B 35

Old Stage Road

U.S. 11-E, between Russellville and Whitesburg

This road was an important artery of transportation between Washington and the western frontier.  From Abingdon, Virginia, to White's Fort, later Knoxville, it followed an ancient Indian trail, tributary to the Great War and Trading Path.  It's trace can be easily located from the highway at many places.  

 


1 B 32

Riggs Tavern

U.S. 11-E, Russellville

Built by Samuel Riggs before 1800.  Andrew Jackson, Prince Louis Phillipe and other notables stopped here.  It was the scene of the killing of Crockett Cain by friends of Bill Bewley, who had been killed by Cain a few minutes previously, in the bloody Cain-Bewley feud during the War Between the States.  

 


1 B 30

Longstreet's Billet

U.S. 11-E, in Russellville

Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's Corps occupied this area during the winter of 1863-64, with the mission of securing East Tennessee to the Confederacy.  He and his staff occupied this house at that time.  Brig. Gen. Kershaw's troops were to the north of the road, and McLaws' Division to the south.  McLaws lived in Hayslope.  

 

Related Links:

 

The History of Hayslope

 

Hamblen County Civil War Page

 


1 B 27

Hayslope

U.S. 11-E, in Russellville

0.4 mile.  Built 1785 by Col. James Roddye, from North Carolina.  He was subsequently delegate to the North Carolina Constitutional Convention, magistrate and register of Jefferson County under territorial government and member of Tennessee's first Constitutional Convention.  The house was also a tavern on the Kentucky Road.  

 

Related Links:

 

The History of Hayslope

 

The History Around Russellville

 


1 B 33

Muster Ground

U.S. 11-E, in Russellville

In the valley directly to the north, Captain William Atkinson mustered a company of 57 volunteers for the War with Mexico.  Among them was William R. Caswell, who enlisted as a private and returned a brigadier general.  The area served for a long time as a meeting place for other civic and recreational gatherings.  

 


1 B 36

Cheek's Crossroads

U.S. 11-E, 1 mile west of Russellville

Here the Kentucky Road, from Cumberland Gap to the Carolinas, crossed the Stage Road, from Abingdon, Virginia, to the west.  In 1790, Jesse Cheek had a store about 50 yards N.E.  On this spot, the Deaderick family operated a store with various partners in 1802.  James Deaderick closed it to study law in 1844, later becoming chief justice of the Tennessee Supreme Court.  

 


1 B 41

Barton's Spring

U.S. 11-E, 3 miles west of Russellville

This area was first settled by the Rev. William Murphy and his brother-in-law, Rev. Isaac Barton, in 1791.  Barton's nephew, Isaac, built the log house still standing, about 1820.  Descendants of the grantees owned and occupied the land until 1936.  

 


1 B 9

Crockett Tavern

U.S. 11-E, east suburbs of Morristown

Here stood the Crockett Tavern, established and operated by John and Rebecca Crockett, parents of David Crockett (1786-1836).  It was the boyhood home of this pioneer and political leader of Tennessee who was later a victim of the Alamo Massacre at San Antonio, Texas.  

 

Related Links:

 

Crockett Tavern Museum

 

Davy Crockett Birthplace in Wikipedia

 

Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park

 


1 B 56

Morristown College

in Morristown, on North Cumberland Avenue

Morristown College, a two-year co-educational liberal arts institution, was founded as Morristown Seminary by Reverend Judson S. Hill in 1881.  The first building used to provide education for the Negro youth of East Tennessee stood near this site on the present campus.  It had previously served as a slave mart, a hospital for Union and Confederate soldiers, a Baptist church, and an elementary school.  

 


1 B 42

Morris Cemetery

in Morristown, on North Cumberland Avenue

A few yards east is the family graveyard of the founders of Morristown.  In 1787, Gideon, Daniel, and Absalom Morris, formerly of the Watauga Settlement, received grants in this area, from which Gideon deeded the land on which the town was built.  

 


1 B 37

Panther Springs

U.S. 11-E, 4 miles west of Morristown

1/2 mile along the Old Stage Road, a thriving pioneer community grew up around the enormous spring at which one Col. Bradley killed a panther.  Panther Springs Academy was here.  Tate's Store, also the post office, was the meeting place for the commissioners, who created Hamblen Co.  In the spring are remains of an Indian mill.  

 


1 B 31

Shield's Paper Mill

U.S. 25-E, south end of Cherokee Lake Bridge

A mile east, on Spring Creek, the Shields brothers established one of the first paper mills west of the Appalachian Divide, about 1820.  Besides doing a large wholesale business, they had a printing press; two books published by them were a "Life of George Washington" and "Life as It Is."  It closed about 1848.  

 


1 B 54

Return from Kentucky

U.S. 25-E, on the northern outskirts of Morristown

Passing through here from Cumberland Gap following Bragg's unsuccessful invasion of Kentucky, the newly constituted army of Tennessee here turned west to Knoxville.  Scott's Cavalry Brigade led, followed by a procession of refugees, captured livestock and material, and the corps of Polk, Hardee, and Kirby Smith, and Wheeler's Cavalry Brigade.  Kirby Smith resumed command in East Tennessee; the army went by rail to Murfreesboro.  

 


1 B 29

Bend of Chucky

U.S. 25E, 3 miles south of Morristown

To the SE along Nolichucky River, first settlement in this area was made by Robert McFarland, Alexander Outlaw and others about 1783.  Outlaw later built the stone house called "Rural Mount," which still stands.  Another early settle was Joseph Anderson, who came with a commission as Federal judge in 1791.  

 

Related Links:

 

Bend of Chucky

 


 

TNGenWeb Project logo

Adopt a County

Last Updated:
July 16, 2009

Return to the
Hamblen County
TNGenWeb Page

USGenWeb Project logo

Be a Volunteer