Cemetery Records transcribed from WPA Project

:
Thanks to the generosity of a number of volunteers, this project has now been completed.  If you find information here that proves helpful, please take a moment to thank those responsible.  The volunteers hand typed almost 400 pages from the original transcriptions. 

Another real interest is to find as many photos of these churches and/or cemeteries as possible.  If you live in the area and have an opportunity to take any photos of local churches or cemeteries, please pass them along to post.  They will mean a lot to those living across the country.

 
       
Page

Cemetery

Information

       
  1

 Amity Cemetery Copied by Dailey (?Daley) S. Boman. Located six miles southwest from Greeneville, Tenn., on highway No. 70, in the Ninth Civil District of Greene County. This graveyard is located on the grounds of the Northern Presbyterian Church.  There are seventeen unmarked graves.
       
 2

 Bersheba Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman, of Greeneville, Tennessee, Aug. 4, 1937. Located twelve miles south of Greeneville, Tennessee, Houston Valley Road.  Protestant Methodist Church.  There are 192 un-marked graves.
       
11

 Burgner Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman, September 20, 1937. Located 7 miles south of Chuckey. Formerly owned by Christian Burgner. Now owned by Henry Jaynes widow.
       
  12

 Burnett Chaple Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman, August 5, 1937 There are 16 un-marked graves. Located 10 miles south of Greeneville, Tennessee. Missionary Baptist Church. 
       
13

 Cedar Creek Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman, August 18, 1938. There are 205 unmarked graves. Located 18 Miles South of Greeneville, Tenn., on what is locally known as the Cedar Creek Road and is in the eighteenth civil district of Greene County. It is on the property of the Baptist church at that point.
       
18

Cedar Grove Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman, July 16. There are thirty unmarked graves. Located on road leading room Chuckey, Tenn., to the John Sevier Highway intersecting same at a point known as Fain Miller's store.
       
22 Cedar Hill Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman, Sept.  30, 1936.  There are 602 unmarked graves. Located five miles west of Greeneville, on the Newport Road. This cemetery is on the grounds of the Cedar Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Ohurch.
       
38 Chuckey Cemetery Copied by Mrs. Grace Ripley Miss Alice Erwin. Nov. 25, 1936. (M. E. Church) (Located at Chuckey Tennessee, a small town on the Andrew Johnson Highway, east of Greeneville.)
       
46  Cove Creek Cemetery Copied by Daley S. Bowman,, Aug. 11, 1937. There are 635 unmarked graves. Located nine miles south of Greeneville, on side road connecting with Old State Road 70. This road is known locally as the Cove Creek Church Road. Cemrtery is on the property of the Luthern Church at that point.
       
71 Ebeneezer Cemetery Copied by Mrs. Margaret H. Richardson, Mrs. Grace Ripley, Miss Alice Erwin, Mrs. Lizzie-Lou Marshall Nov. 11, 1936.  Located 2-1/2 miles south of Chuckey, across the river.
       
81 Gethsemanea Located 9 miles south of Greeneville, Tennessee on cross road leading east to left of Jones Bridge Road.  Southern Methodist Church. There are 192 un-marked graves in old Cemetery and 16 unmarked graves in new Cemetery.  Copied by Daley S. Bowman, May 14 and 15, 1937.
       
91 Greenwood Located four miles North of Chuckey and one and one-half miles South of Afton, Tenn.; one mile off of US Hiway #11E, and is on the property of the Southern Methodist Church at that point. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, July 28, 1937.  There are eighty-six unmarked graves.
       
94 Haire Located 9 miles southeast of Chuckey, Tenn., on the Chucky to Greeneville road and is on the property of the Church of God. There are twenty-eight unmarked graves.  Copied by Daley S. Bowman, July 16, 1937.
       
95 Harrison Located six miles south of Greeneville, Tenn. Southern Methodist Church.  There are 276 un-marked graves.  Copies by Daley S. Bowman, of Greeneville, Tennessee, May 27, 1937.
       
111 Hermon This cemetery is four miles southeast of Tusculum at the Southern Methodist Church known as the Hermon Church. When it was surveyed by Daley Bowman in May of 1937, it contained 87 unmarked graves.
       
125 Meadow Creek The cemetery is twelve miles southwest of Greeneville, at the Presbyterian Church. There were 350 unmarked graves in it when it was surveyed in 1937 by Daley Bowman.
       
132 Monument Hill  
       
137 Mount Bethel The cemetery is located in Greeneville, at what used to be the eastern-most edge of the city limits. It used to be the churchyard of Mt. Bethel Presbyterian Church. However, by the time it was surveyed in 1937 by Alice Erwin, Martha Smith and Rose Smith, the church itself was no longer there. At the time it was surveyed, it had 190 unmarked graves.
       
146 Mt. Carmel This cemetery is about 2 1/2 miles south of Greenville on a side road between Jones Bridge and Highway 70. The cemetery is at the Protestant Methodist Church. At the time it was surveyed by Daley Bowman in 1937, there were 50 unmarked graves.
       
148 Mt. Hebron This cemetery is located four miles south of Greeneville, about a mile east of Buckingham Ferry Road. It is located at the United Brethern Church. There were 107 unmarked graves in the cemetery in 1937, when it was surveyed by Daley Bowman.
       
158 Mt. Olive This cemetery is about seven miles south of Greenville at the United Brethren Church. In 1937, when it was first surveyed, it had 147 unmarked graves.
       
166 Mt. Tabor Located eight miles south of Greeneville, Tennessee. Southern Methodist Church.
       
174 Mountain View This cemetery is about 13 miles south, southeast of Greeneville at the Disciple Church.
       
175 Mt. Zion Located 9 miles southeast of Greeneville, on road connecting the John Sevier Highway and Jones Bridge roads in the 22nd Civil District of Greens County. This cemetery is
       
184 Oak Grove Copied by Daley S. Bowman, of Greeneville, Tennessee, June 11, 1937. Located on North Main Street, in Greeneville, Tennessee. There are 909 unmarked graves.
       
247 Oakland Located one mile south-west of Tusculum College, Tenn., on the White's Mill Road, and is on the property of the Shiloah Cumberland Presbyterian Church. There are 103 unmarked graves in this cemetery. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, September 29, 1937
       
251 Painter Located 7 miles south of Chuckey, Tennessee. Former owner George Painter, now owned by J.B. Waddell. There are 40 un-marked graves. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, September 20, 1937.
       
  Daniel K. Painter Located 7 miles south of Chuckey, Tennessee. Now owned by Milburn Painter. There are 20 un-marked graves. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, September 20, 1937
       
253 Pine Springs Located 17 miles south of Greeneville, on the Houston Valley Road in the Eighteenth Civil District of Greene County. This cemetery is on the property of the Missionary Baptist Church at that point. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, August 2, 1937. There are eighty-nine unmarked graves in this cemetery.
       
257 Pisgah Located three miles south of Greeneville. Southern Methodist Church. There are 253 un-marked graves. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, of Greeneville, Tennessee, July 21, 1937.
       
279 Pleasant Hill Copied by Daley S. Bowman, of Greeneville, Tennessee, June 2, 1937. Located five miles south of Chuckey, Tennessee. Southern Methodist Church.
       
  Old Pleasant Hill The cemetery is located five miles south of Chuckey, Tennessee, at the Southern Methodist Church. At the time it was originally surveyed in 1937, by Daley S. Bowman, there were 29 unmarked graves.
       
282 Price The cemetery is ten miles south of Greeneville on the White Sand Road, one mile south of Lower View Baptist Church. At the time of the initial survey by Daley S. Bowman, in 1937, there were 117 unmarked graves.
       
285 Rehobeth The cemetery is located 13 miles south of Greenville, Tennessee at the Southern Methodist Church. At the time of the initial survey by Daley S. Bowman, in 1937, there were 197 unmarked graves in this cemetery.
       
289 River Hill This cemetery is about 4 miles south of Greenville at the United Brethern (or Moravian) church.
       
298

331

Old St. James
          &
New St. James
The cemetery is located 15 miles southwest of Greenville, TN, at the Lutheran Church. At the time it was surveyed by Daley S. Bowman, in 1937, there were 503 unmarked graves in this cemetery.
       
333 Shelton Mission Located 13 miles south of Greeneville, on the Mountain Road. This cemetery is on the property of the United Presbyterian Church which is located at that place. There are 105 unmarked graves in this cemetery. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, June 10, 1937
       
334 Shiloh Near Tusculum. Copied by Mrs. Margaret H. Richardson, Grace Ripley, Alice Erwin, Lizzie-Lou Marshall Nov. 11, 1936
       
352 Stone Dam Located one mile north of Afton on the Walkertown Road.
       
356 Susong Memorial Located six miles of Greeneville, on the Allen's Bridge road and on the property of the Susong Memorial Presbyterian church. There are fifty unmarked graves. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, September 28, 1937
       
358 Timber Ridge The cemetery is at the Northern Presbyterian Church, which is about ten miles west of Greeneville.
       
375 Union Chapel This cemetery is five miles south of Chuckey at the United Brethern Church.
       

381

Jason Williamson Located 5 miles south of Chuckey, Tennessee. Now owned by D.H. Jaynes. Copied by Daley S. Bowman, September 20, 1937.
       
 

Greene County, TNGenWeb coordinator and/or individual contributors. You are welcome to copy information found on this Greene County  for your personal use, but this information may not be sold,  used, or reposted elsewhere  without expressed permission of the copyright holder(s). Last updated 03/31/2012.