Goodspeed Biographies of Greene County, Tennessee

 
George E. Kenney, a farmer in the Eleventh District, was born in August, 1834. in Greene County, where he has since resided. He began life for himself when twenty-two years old in only moderate circumstances, and the most of what he is now worth is the fruit of his own industry and good management. He owns a good farm of about 250 acres. He was married, in 1856. to Miss Mary Weems, a daughter of William Weems, a native of Greene County, Tenn. Two children blessed this union: John C. Breckinridge (deceased) and Wilbur C.  Mrs. Kenney died in February. 1865. He was married a second time, in January, 1866, to Miss Louisa Brown, a daughter of Rev. Alexander Brown, a native of Greene County, Tenn. One child blessed the last union — Laura (deceased). Mr. Kenney is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. and is a Democrat. in politics. He cast his first presidential ticket for James Buchanan. He was elected justice of the peace in 1860, and has been re-elected at each election since excepting one, when he was not a candidate. He has given universal satisfaction in the discharge of the duties of his office, none of his decisions ever being reversed. He was the eldest of twelve children of James and Elizabeth (Weems) Kenney, natives of Greene County, Tenn. The father was a very successful farmer all his life, and took quite an active interest and part in religious affairs.  He died about 1859, aged about fifty-eight years. Mrs. Kenney died in 1882, aged sixty-six years. .Mr. and Mrs. Kenney were of Irish and English descent respectively. Mrs. Elizabeth Kenney was a daughter of James and Hannah Weems, natives of Greene County, Tenn., and of Virginia respectively.  Mr. James. Kenney's father was of Irish descent. and was a weaver by trade.

Rufus J. Kidwell, was born four miles north of Greeneville on the waters of Roaring Fork of Lick Creek, Greene County, on April 2, 1825, and is the son of Elijah and Polly (Hankins) Kidwell. The father was born in Greene County in 1802 and was the son of Joshua Kidwell, who was born in the valley of Virginia, and was the son of a native of Wales, England. Joshua, the grandfather, came to Tennessee in about 1787, and settled in Greene County, of which he was one of the. pioneers; corning when there were but few white men here and the country was overrun with Indians. He and a brother were engaged in the Indian campaigns, and the latter was killed in the assault upon the Indians at Lookout Mountain. Elijah, the father, was a farmer and carpenter and carried on the two vocations jointly, making a success of both. He was an industrious and energetic man; though well known and highly esteemed, he never entered public life nor ever held a county office, being of a retiring disposition, and never asking for office. While at work erecting the residence in which H. D. Maloney now resides on Chucky River, he contracted a fever from which he died on August 28, 1842. The mother was born in New Jersery (sic) in 1798, and was the daughter of William Hankins, who was a native of Scotland. He immigrated to Tennessee at the close of the Revolutionary war, and settled in Greene County on Roaring Fork of Lick Creek. She was a pious Christian lady, and died in 1862. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. A peculiarity of the grandparents of our subject was, that each lived and died on their original farms and the same are in the possession of their children. Our subject was raised on the farm. and attended school at the common schools of the county, and finished his education at a private or subscription school taught by Thomas B. Jarnagin, of Jefferson County, who was educated at Tusculum College. At the age of nineteen years his health failed him, and he learned the saddler's trade under Joshua C. Lane of Greenville, serving an apprenticeship of three years. After learning the trade he located at Springvale, near the bend of Chucky, in Jefferson (now Hamblen) County, and engaged in tanning and manufacturing leather into saddles, boots, shoes, etc. In November, 1856, he removed to Russellville and engaged in merchandising and sold goods over two years. and then opened a large tannery on the Barton farm, about half-way between. Russellville and Morristown, and conducted that establishment during the progress of the late war. He is a sympathizer of the Federal Government, but did not enlist in the War. He gave freely of his goods to the poor of both sides, refusing in no instance to respond to the calls of the people for leather. At the close of the war he removed to Morristown, and in connection with D. Morris and others in merchandising, tanning and manufacturing leather, remained at that place until August, 1875. He then removed to Rogersville. Tenn.. and for four years was connected with the Rogersville Female Institute, and educated his daughters at that school. He then located on a farm, nearly  two and one-half miles west of Rogersville, followed farming until 1882. and then removed to Warrensburg, engaged in merchandising, and has continued up to the present, meeting with much success. He carries a general stock of merchandise of about $4,000, and does about $12,000 of business annually. He was united in marriage at Springvale, Tenn., on October 28, 1851, to Emma McFarland. who was born at the above place, July 1, 1830, and is the daughter of Col. Robert McFarland, a son of Robert McFarland, Sr., and a sister of Robert McFarland, who was one of the supreme judges of Tennessee. To this union eight children have been born, all of whom are living and grown. Robert G.. the oldest son, is railroading in Texas, with headquarters at Fort Worth, and Charles E. is engaged with his father in merchandising. Florence. the eldest daughter. is the wife of W. J. McSween, a lawyer of Newport. Cocke County, Tenn., and the other daughters are at home. Both our subject and wife and all his children are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Samuel W. Leming. farmer and stock raiser, was born in Greene County, August 7, 1840, the son of John and Rhenemah (Renshaw) Leming, the former a native of Cocke County, born December 20. 1798, died in this county November 17. 1855. He was a millwright about eighteen years, and among the first of his trade in East Tennessee. and also engaged in farming. Samuel, a native of North Carolina, was the next ancestor, and came to East Tennessee at an early date, being one of the pioneers of East Tennessee. He was in the Indian wars and the war of 1812, the scabbard knife he used in that war being in the possession of our subject, along with two conch-shells used by his grandparents. The mother. a daughter of Washington Renshaw, was born in this county September 15. 1810. and died April 22, 1832. Her father came from Rockingham County, Va. to this county in 1799. and erected the first mill of any importance in Greene County, and was active in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject. the eldest of eight children, was reared on the farm, and educated at Tusculum College. which the war caused him to abandon for the Confederate Army Company L, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry.  He was at Chickamauga and Murfreesboro, and surrendered with Gen. J. E. Johnston. After a trip West he settled on his present farm in Greene County. In 1878, he married Martha Mc. Alexander. Their children are Frank E., J. Gertrude, Bessie C., Mary P., Susan E., Cora .A. and Thomas D.  He and his wife are Methodists. He has been president and treasurer of the county agricultural association, and is now on the executive committee.  He is a trustee of Tuseulum College, and one of the committee who built the present building. He has also been a steward in his church for eighteen years.

James Love, our subject. is one of the prosperous farmers of Greene County, and was born about three miles north of his present home in the Third Civil District, on June 20. 1824. He is the son of Charles and Hannah (Evans) Love. The father was a native of Greene County, Tenn., and was of English extraction, and was a farmer. The mother also was a native of Greene County, and was the mother of fourteen children — ten sons and four daughters. Our subject is the fourth, and was reared on the farm, and educated in the country schools. He has farmed successfully all his life. He had a very limited capital to begin the occupation with, and has been very energetic, and by hard toil has been successful in his calling. He owns and cultivates a farm of 317 acres, situated on the Nollichucky River, and also owns two other farms; one of 250 acres, in the Fifth District. and 142 acres in the Fourth Civil District. His land is good. and he has it moderately improved. Some very good timber is on the land, and all is pretty well situated. On June 12, 1873, he was united in marriage with Sarah A. Rader, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Ottinger) Rader. Unto the marriage have been born seven children — two sons and five daughters — one daughter is dead — viz.: Birtie Elizabeth, born December 12, 1874; Charles Edgar, born June 3, 1876; Sarah Jane, born August 19, 1877; John Anderson, born March 19, 1879; Eliza Emaline, born March 2, 1881, and Lulie Susanna, born November 16. 1883.

James Luster, a wagon-maker and farmer in the Twenty-first District, was born April 13, 1826, in Greene County. where he has since resided. He began life for himself when about twenty-two years old, a poor man, and what he is now worth is the fruit of his own industry and economy. He learned the wagon-maker's trade at that age, which he followed in connection with farming. He owns a fine farm of 300 acres where he resides. He enlisted in the spring of 1863 in Company A, Fourth Tennessee Infantry of the Federal Army, and was mustered out of service in 1865 at Nashville, Tenn. He was corporal of his company. He was married in September. 1850  to Miss Lorinda C. Harmon, a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Bowman) Harmon, natives of Greene County. Mr. P. Harmon was a soldier under Capt. " Bob " Maloney in the war of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Harmon were of Dutch descent. To Mr. and Mrs. Luster eight children have been born: Elizabeth, Peter, Catherine, Elender (dead), Nancy, Mary J., William A. (dead) and Eliza A.  Mrs. Luster is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Luster is a Democrat in politics.  He has served as school commissioner and road overseer for some time. He was the second of nine children of William and Catherine (Young) Luster, early settlers of East Tennessee. Mr. Luster had four children by his first He followed teaming and blacksmithing..

J. B. R. Lyon, the subject of the following sketch, is a printer by vocation; was born at Cheraw, S. C., April 16, 1825, and is the son of Mason R. and Margaret Ann (King) Lyon. The father was born at Fair Haven, Vt., November 12. 1798: was a printer by vocation, and was the son of James and Phila (Risley) Lyon. James was born in Vermont, April 15. 1775. he was also a printer by vocation. and. was the son of Col. Mathew Lyon, a native of Ireland. Col. Mathew Lyon was a member of Congress from Vermont when the alien law was passed, and later had occasion to speak in opposition to the President of the United States. This was a violation of the alien law, because the Colonel was a foreign born citizen, and he was imprisoned, but afterward paid his fines and was released. In 1799, together with a colony of New Englanders from Vermont, he immigrated to Kentucky, and settled on the Cumberland River about twenty-five miles above the mouth of the river, in what is now called the county of Lyon, which county he afterward represented in the Kentucky Legislature, and afterward was appointed agent to the Chickasaw Indians in Arkansas. The mother of our subject was born in North Carolina, March 24, 1803, and is of the King family, to which belongs Hon. William R. King, of Alabama. She is the mother of twelve children, of which our subject is the eldest, but one. He was educated at Elizabeth, Carter Co., Tenn., and has devoted his life to printing, and at present is proprietor and editor of the Greeneville Republican. In 1851 he married Martha M. Britton, daughter of James Britton. and to this marriage have been born David K., James B., Charles M., John M., George B., Samuel, Mollie, Maggie and Willie.

James B. Lyon, editor of the Greeneville Democrat, and one of the leading young citizens of Greeneville, was born in Greene County, Tenn., March 10, 1856, and is the son of J. B. R. Lyon, a sketch of whom appears above. When but seven years of age, the subject of this sketch entered his father's office to learn the printer's trade, even before he had learned the alphabet. and strange as it may appear, the young printer was able to set up as much as a column of type before he knew one letter of the alphabet from another. After working in the printing office for nine years. he. at the age of sixteen years, entered Tusculum College, in Greene County, and attended that institution for three years.  He next removed to Knoxville, and for about nine months worked with daily papers of that city, and then located at Newport, Cocke County, and got out the first three issues of the Newport Sentinel. After being connected with the Whitesburg Times, he, on May 1, 1879, established the Greeneville Democrat, and has continued the publication of that paper with success up to the present, it having now over 1,900 subscribers weekly. When established the paper had only five columns. After eighteen months had elapsed the prosperity necessitated an enlargement, and an additional column was attached, and thirteen months later another column was added, making it now seven columns, all home print.  Our subject was married October 6, 1875, to Tennie Dobson, who was born in Greene County, Tenn., August 12, 1857, and is the daughter of Rev. J. B. Dobson, D. D., one of the oldest and most noted ministers of East Tennessee.  To this union four boys have been born, the eldest of whom is deceased.

Hugh D. Maloney, farmer, was born where he now lives, June 6, 1842, the son of William C. and Louisa (Cureton) Maloney, the former born in Greene County, on the homestead, July 13, 1813, the son of Hugh, who was born in Ireland in 1781, and became a pioneer farmer of Greene County, and from 1816 to 1836 a justice. He worked out the first road from Warrensburg to Greeneville, and died in 1849. The father was a farmer, and was county surveyor for several years. He was widely known, and died January 5, 1882. He was a half brother of Ambrose Hundley Sevier, the well-known Arkansas senator, and diplomat, also grandson of Henry Conway, who was an officer in the Revolutionary war, and who was stung to death by bees, and buried with honors of war upon the homestead, from which he had assisted in removing the cane. The mother was born at Cureton's Ferry, Greene County, in 1820, a daughter of Richard Cureton, who was born at the above place. She was a Methodist, and died August 21, 1886. Our subject was educated at the Knoxville University, Greeneville College, and Tusculum College, graduating from the latter in 1860. He then entered the law department of Cumberland University, and in 1862 joined Company H, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry (Confederate). He served in various capacities through the war, until paroled at Charlotte, N. C., in May, 1865. While cut off from his command he fell in with Gen. John H. Morgan and staff. with whom he rode into Greeneville, the evening before Morgan was killed by the Federals. He was in the battle of Chickamauga, through the North Georgia campaign, and in the last skirmish in the streets of Columbia, when the city was evacuated by the Confederates. He has since been successfully engaged on his farm. February 16, 1871, Annie, a daughter of W. C. Scruggs, became his wife. She was born in Grainger County, June 8, 1853.  They have four children.

Henry G. Marsh, a merchant at Home Depot, Greene Co., Tenn., was born at Papersville, Sullivan Co., Tenn., January 6, 1850, and is the son of Eli and Harriet J. (Burkhart) Marsh. The father was born near Home, Greene Co., Term., December 5. 1805. and is the son of Gravner and Elizabeth (Oliphant) Marsh. Gravner was a native of Pennsylvania, and a son of Gravner Marsh, Sr., who immigrated to East Tennessee during its early settlement. The mother of our subject was born in Sullivan County, Tenn., April 1, 1813, and died in Greene County in 1862. She was the mother of nine children — six. sons and three daughters. Our subject is the youngest but one, and was reared on the farm. and educated at Bristol and Tusculum. At the age of sixteen years he went to merchandising at Rheatown, Greene County, and has been merchandising ever since. In 1881 he married Minnie Ramsay, a daughter of William Ramsay, of Greene County. One daughter, Nina, and one son, Halbert, have blessed the marriage.  Our subject is a self-made man, and is practical and successful in business. He is well respected by all who know him.

Joseph W. McDannel, trustee, was born in Greeneville, Greene County, January 10, 1855, the son of Blackstone and Louisa (Britton) McDannel, the former born in Knoxville, January 15, 1811, the son of John McDannel, of Pennsylvania, born in 1787. Marcus McDannel was the next ancestor. John came to Tennessee in the early part of 1808, settled in Knox County. and on the 12th of July, 1809, married Sarah Whitson. He served in the Creek Indian war, in Capt. Rufus Morgan's company and Col. Brown's regiment, and returned to Knoxville in 1814, and died January 31, 1837. Blackstone, like his father, was a mechanic, reared in Knoxville, and resident of Greeneville, after 1829. He was first assistant of Maj. Samuel Milligan, a commissary in the Mexican war, and afterward engaged in the pension and claim agency of the wars of 1812 and 1846. President Lincoln appointed him United States marshal for East Tennessee, both terms, and he was re-appointed by President Johnson, but, on account of the health of his family, be resigned, and engaged in his old agency business at Greeneville. He had become intimately acquainted with Andrew Johnson when both were working at their trades, and they frequently engaged in public debate on the Indian and other questions. and this was the beginning of the latter's career. The mother was born near Greeneville December 27, 1821, the daughter of James Britton, and granddaughter of Daniel Britton. She was married March 23, 1854, and died in Greeneville April 8, 1876. Our subject was educated at what is now Grant Memorial University, Athens. Tenn. In 1878 he became deputy register of Greene County, and then became deputy clerk and master, deputy trustee and deputy county court clerk, holding all the positions at the same time. In 1886 he was elected as a Republican to his present office. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow and is steward in the Methodist Episcopal Church. August 6, 1872. he married Emma C., a daughter of William G. Horton Sr., clerk and master of McMinn County. She was born August 22. 1855, in the latter county. Two of their five children are living.

J. W. McDannald, of the firm of McDannald & Weems, at Mohawk Postoffice, was born in 1842, in Greene County, where he has since resided. He was captured in 1861. while crossing the mountains to Kentucky to join the Federal Army, put in prison on James Island, South Carolina. and kept two years, after which he went to New York, and from there to Kentucky. and from there to Indiana, where he worked as a hired hand on a farm.  He hired shortly afterward to the Government as a teamster, at which he continued until the war closed.  He then engaged in farming for himself, and in 1882 he built and equipped a flouring mill in partnership with Joseph Lane, style of firm name being McDannald & Lane.  Mr. Lane retired from the firm in 1886.  Mr. G. J. Weems was taken into the firm in 1884, the style of firm being McDannald, Lane & Weems, and upon Mr. Lane's retiring in 1866, the style of firm name became McDannald & Weems.  The capacity of the mill is fifty barrels per day, and the mill is generally run day and night. so great is the demand for their flour.  Mr. McDannald was married in 1867 to Miss Louisa Wisecarver, a daughter of Samuel Wisecarver, a native of Greene County, Tenn.  Five children blessed their union:  Corrie, James A., Samuel. Ernest and Emma.  Mrs. McDannald is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and Mr. McDannald is a Republican in politics, and he is an I. O. O. F.  He is the third of six children of James and Leah (Coble) McDannald, natives of Jefferson and Greene Counties, respectively.  Mr. McDannald died in 1855, aged forty-three years.  Mrs. McDannald is still living, and she is seventy-two years old. Mr. McDannald was Scotch, and Mrs. McDannald was of Dutch descent.  James McDannald was a son of Alexander and Hannah McDannald, natives of Jefferson County, Tenn.  J. M. McDannald began life for himself a poor man, and most of what he is now worth is the result of his own good management.  Besides his splendid mill property he owns 200 acres of fine bottom land.

D. W. Mercer, farmer, was born in 1836, in Blount County, but from infancy has lived in Greene County. Since he began, in his twentieth year, he has acquired 162 acres at his home, besides eighty-one acres elsewhere. In 1863 he enlisted in Company A, Fourth Tennessee Federal Infantry, as sergeant, and was mustered out August 1, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn.  In 1855 Priscilla, a daughter of John Hartman, became his wife. Their children were John F., Recina, Mary A., Robert (deceased) and Sarah (deceased). His wife died May 21, 1873, and September 30, 1883, he married Margaret, a daughter of Samuel Henry, of Greene County, Tenn. She is a Presbyterian, while his first wife was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.  He is a Democrat.  His parents, Elbert F. and Rachel (Thompson) Mercer, are natives of this county.  The latter died December 7, 1838. The father then married Mary A. Norwood. a native of Blount County, Tenn., and after her death, June 20, 1860, married Charlotte Hull, a native of Greene County.  He died March 19, 1887.  He was a deputy sheriff of Blount, and a trustee of Greene, County, several years. Mr. Mercer was of English-lrish origin, and followed carpentering and farming. He was a son or John Mercer.

William E. F. Milburn, lawyer, was born at Milburnton. Greene County, November 15, 1844, the son of Rev. William and Martha (Frame) Milburn. The former was born near Winchester, Va., September 16, 1797, the son of Jonathan and Nancy Milburn, natives of Virginia.  The former was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and a pioneer of Greene County about 1804.  The father was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church for five years more than half a century.  He was during the war of the Rebellion an avowed Union man, and was much persecuted, and imprisoned by the rebels for his Union sentiments.  He, was chaplain of the Eighth Regiment Tennessee Cavalry Volunteers, United States Army.  The mother was born near Harper's Ferry, Va., April 10, 1802, and died February 14. 1861. She was a member pf the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Our subject served as a soldier from November 20, 1862. to October 25, 1863, in Company B. Twelfth Regiment Tennessee Cavalry, Volunteers, United States Army, in the war of the Rebellion.  He was engaged in the battles of Florence and Shoal Creek, and Sugar Creek, Ala.; Pulaski, Triune, Clifton, Spring Hill, Columbia, Campbellsville, Franklin and Nashville. Tenn.; and the fourteen days of continuous skirmishing with Gen. Hood's retreating forces, from Nashville to Eastport. Miss. After the war he entered school. and was graduated with the degree of A. B., and won the highest honors of the class of 1871 in the East Tennessee Wesleyan University.  For the two successive years. 1872 and 1873, he was professor of mathematics in his then alma mater.  In the year 1874 he was graduated. upon examination, from the University of Michigan, with the degree of Master of Arts.  He was president of the Holston Seminary for one year, 1874-75. in the meantime reading law, so as to be admitted to the bar in 1876 at Athens, Tenn., his license being signed by Judge Hayle and Chancellor Bradford.  In 1879 he removed to Abilene. Kas., and early in 1880 he located at Greeneville, Tenn. From January, 1882. to July, 1885, he was special examiner of the United States Pension Bureau in the State of Kentucky, with headquarters at Bowling Green, after which he resumed the practice of haw at Greeneville.  In November. 1886, he was elected. as a Republican, to represent the county of Greene, and served with ability and distinction in the Legislature of 1887. He was a member of the executive committee of the State Temperance Alliance. and took an active part in the canvass to adopt the constitutional Prohibition amendment in 1887.  October 1. 1878, Florence Ella,  daughter of Mr. John H. Williams. of Golden, Col., became his wife.  She was born at Ducktown. Tenn., March 10. 1850.  To this union have been born three children, namely: Lulu Belle, Frank Emily and Blaine.  Mrs. Milburn is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Rev. Jere Moore, A. M., was born at Tusculum, Greene Co., Tenn.. November G. 1845, the son of Anthony and Nancy P. (Holt) Moore. The next ancestors were Anthony, born June 26, 1803, in Greene County, and died July 20, 1885;  David, born May 14. 1769, in Pennsylvania, and Anthony, Sr., born in 1732, in Pennsylvania, coming to East Tennessee with his family in 1778.  The latter, detained a year to raise a company to go through what was then called " The Wilderness," liked the country so well that he remained here, one of the earliest settlers of East Tennessee.  The mother was born in Greene County, March 26, 1807, and died April 18, 1879.  She was the daughter of David Holt, of Rockbridge County, Va.  Our subject, the next youngest of eight children,  was educated at Greeneville and Tusculum College, and graduated in 1871;  then in 1874 graduated from the Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio.  In September, 1874, he was ordained by the Holston Presbytery at Kingsport, and for a year was a Presbyterian missionary.  He has since preached at Mount Bethel, Oakland, and other churches. He was a member of the General Assembly at Pittsburgh in 1878, and at Saratoga in 1883.  He was giving his life to the ministry, when, in 1883, he was called to the presidency of the Greeneville and Tusculum College, which he accepted in June, 1883.  On December 10, 1874. he married Belle R., a daughter of E. E. Mathes, of Washington County, where she was born September 4, 1850.  Their children are Myrtie L., born February 8, 1876;  David E., born October 7, 1877;  A. Holt, born August 19, 1879;  Melvin M., born February 6, 1882;  Maggie B., born September 21, 1883, and one boy unnamed, born April 23, 1887.

J. S. Neilson, a farmer, was born April 16, 1831, in Greene County, always his home. When he was eighteen he began independently by managing his father's farm, and in 1861 he began farming for himself.  In 1853 he married M. E. Baker, a daughter of Allen Baker, a native of Greene County. Their children are James T. and Jesse B. She is a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics he is a Democrat, first voting for Scott.  He is the fifth of seven children of W. D. and Eliza (Evans) Neilson, natives of Greene and Claiborne Counties, respectively. The father commanded a company in the war of 1812, and was afterward commissioned colonel.  He followed farming most of his life, and the latter part was engaged in general merchandising. The grandfather, Hugh, was a native of Scotland, and one of the pioneers of Greene County, Tenn. The mother was of English stock. The farm of our subject consists of 375 acres of fine, mostly bottom, land. showing the hand of a successful agriculturist.

Augustus H. Pettibone, one of the leading lawyers and citizens of Greeneville, Tenn., was born at Bedford, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, January 21, 1835, the son of Augustus N. and Nancy L. (Hathaway) Pettibone.  The father was horn in Vernon, N. Y.. in 1802, and was the son of Elijah Pettibone, a soldier of the Revolutionary war. The father removed to Ohio early in life, and established the first woolen mills west of the Alleghany Mountains, at Newburg now part of Cleveland, Ohio. He was a Whig, and a strong supporter of Henry Clay.  He died in 1849. The mother was born near Burlington. Vt., about 1804, and was the daughter of Zepheniah Hathaway. a native of Taunton, Mass.  She died in 1843.  Our subject was educated at Hiram College, Ohio. and at the University of Michigan. graduating in 1859. He studied law with Hon. Jonathan E. Arnold at Milwaukee, Wis., and entered in the practice at La Crosse. Wis. He entered the Federal Army as a private. in 1861, and was promoted to second lieutenant and captain of his company. and on December 7, 1862. was promoted to major of the Twentieth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers. He served through the war, and then located at Greeneville. Tenn., and resumed his law practice. He entered politics and was first elected attorney general of the First Judicial Circuit, of Tennessee, and was a Grant and Colfax presidential elector in 1868. He served for several years as assistant United States district attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and was the Hayes and Wheeler elector for the State at large in 1876. He was elected to the XLVII. XLVIII and XLIX Congresses as a Republican. He is now a member of the law firm of Pettibone, Worder & Sharp, of Chattanooga. but resides at Greeneville. He was married, July 16. 1868, to Mary C. Speck, of Rogersville, Tenn., daughter of George C. Speck, deceased.

W. H. Piper, county clerk, was born in Knoxville, Tenn., April 26. 1854, the son of Albert M. and Martha O. (Allen) Piper, the former born in Virginia, August 20, 1820, the son of Joseph, a native of Pennsylvania, and of German parents. The father became a Rogersville merchant about 1838.  From 1846 he was in Knoxville as clerk, and from 1851 as partner, in the Coffin Brothers firm, with whom he had removed. In 1857 he became a partner of S. B. Boyd, until 1859.  He was mayor of Knoxville for a time. In 1859 he bought a farm, and up to 1867 was a Greene County merchant. In 1871 he became United States deputy revenue collector. He was in the Indian wars. He died June 11, 1873, the first victim of the cholera epidemic of that year.  The mother was born December 9, 1824, in Greene County, the daughter of James Allen, of Irish descent. She died May 14, 1869. Our subject was educated at Clear Springs Academy, Greene Co., Tenn. He taught school and studied law with Maj. Pettibone, until 1882, and in May, 1881, was admitted. In August, 1882, be was elected to his present position, the first Republican to hold the office. January 17, 1883, Carrie Brannan became his wife. Their children were Bessie, Blaine (deceased) and Gracie. He is a member of the United Brethren Church, while his wife is a Presbyterian. During the war of the Rebellion the father, Albert M., and all the members of his family, were uncompromising Unionists.

C. G. Rankin was born at Rheatown, Tenn., March 5, 1337, being the son of John and Louisa (Gray) Rankin, the former a tanner and merchant, who died at .Johnson City, Tenn., in 1879, aged sixty-four, and a native of Greene County. The mother, a native of this county also, was the laughter of Benjamin Gray, and died in 1843. Our subject and two sisters were the only children. He left school at thirteen years of age, and clerked for his father until he was twenty-one. Since then he has farmed on an extensive scale. In 1858 he married Louisa, a daughter of Frederick DeVault, of Leesburg, Tenn. Three daughters and the mother are deceased. The sons are John A. and Charles In 1872 he, Hon. D. T. Patterson and W. B. Rush organized the Home Woolen Company, and located their mill a half mile north of Home Depot. At present our subject is the sole proprietor and manager, and employs about twenty-five persons constantly, the capacity of the mill being 30,000 pounds of wool per year. Blankets, yarns, cassimeres, jeans, flannels, etc., are sold directly to the consumer. He is a Master Mason, and a Knight of Honor. He has merchandised since 1867, first at home and later at his mills, where the old stone dam, the first in this region, gave its name to the historical camping grounds and a Methodist Church built there.

D. W. Remine, a farmer in the Fifteenth District, was born in 1837 in Virginia, and came to this locality in 1847, where he has since resided. He received his education at Limestone Academy and Tusculum College. When eleven years of age he was thrown upon his own resources, a poor boy, and has followed farming ever since. He was married in 1858 to Miss Phoebe Keizel, daughter of Enos Keizel, a native of Rockingham County, Va., who came to Washington County in 1856. To this union has been born fourteen children; Fannie L., Rebecca, Calvin K., Edward E. (deceased), Mollie E., Schuyler Colfax. Minnie B., Horace Maynard, Lummie Lynn, Carrie Bays, Frederick Fuller, Bell Carter, Annie Lee and Kate. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Remine is a Republican in politics and a prohibitionist in principle, a Good Templar, and a Son of Temperance. He is the third of seven children born to Hiram and Nancy (Bays) Remine, natives of Virginia. He was a soldier in the late war, and was captured and detained in Castle Thunder, Libby, Abingdon, Jonesboro, Greeneville and Knoxville prisons on account of his views on Abolitionism, he being a pronounced Abolitionist, and very bold in declaring his views. Three of his sons were soldiers in the United States Army. He is a son of William H. Remine. a native of Tazewell County: Va.. and was a stock dealer and distiller. He was justice of the peace for many years. Mrs. Nancy Remine was a daughter of James and Ruth Bays, either natives of or very early settlers in Russell County, Va. Mr. Bays was a prominent minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Bays Mountain took its name from this family, they being noted as great hunters. They have furnished a great number of very excellent and able ministers.

James H. Robinson was born two miles from Greeneville, on June 26, 1835, and is the son of James and Mary (Temple) Robinson. The father was born in Greene County. and was the son of David Robinson, who was a native of Virginia, and immigrated to Tennessee at a very early date and was one of the pioneers of Greene County. The father was a farmer and a prominent citizen, and for a number of years served as magistrate. He died in 1863, his funeral occurring on the last day General Longstreet's army passed through Greeneville, going into Virginia. The mother was born in Greene County, and was the daughter of Thomas Temple, a native of Greene County, who was the son of Maj. Temple, a native of North Carolina, who participated in the battle of King's Mountain. She died in 1867. Our subject was reared on the farm, and attended school at Tusculum College. While in school his health failed him, and he visited California, where he remained for over two years. Returning home he studied law for a time and then re-entered Tusculum College, from which school he graduated with honor on June 7, 1860, he being the valedictorian of the graduating class of that year. He at once resumed his law studies in Greeneville under Maj. James Britton, and on February 18, 1861, was admitted to the bar, his license being signed by Judge David T. Patterson and Chancellor Seth J. W. Lucky. He was not sworn in at once, and the war coming up, upon advice of friends he did not take the oath until after the war. He enlisted in the Confederate service in 1862, and was appointed deputy agent at Greeneville, which he held until the latter part of that year, and then enlisted in Capt. Jackson's Company of the Eighty-first Regiment of Confederate Tennessee Infantry, as a private. He was with his regiment but a short time until he was appointed provost-marshal and put in command of Greene County, with the rank of captain. He served in that capacity until the evacuation of East Tennessee by the Confederate troops. On leaving Greeneville he became a member of Col. Battles' Cavalry Battalion, which organization was composed of a number of parts of different regiments. His health failed him after awhile, and he left the ranks, and purchased the newspaper outfit of the Southern Banner, which he removed to Wytheville, and published a weekly paper until the close of the war, and issued the last paper in the Confederacy, an issue being made after Gen. Lee's surrender, the paper being common brown wrapping paper. He was with his command, however, at the surrender at Christiansburg, Va., in 1865. At the close of the war he went to Illinois and then to Louisville, Ky., where be was engaged for a few weeks as salesman in a wholesale merchandising house. From Louisville he went to Batesville, Ark., where he began the practice of his profession, he having previously been licensed to practice in the courts of Arkansas. He removed to East Tennessee in 1869 and settled in Greeneville, forming a partnership with Maj. A. H. Pittibone. He remained with Maj. Pettibone for about five years, and then formed a partnership and practiced with Thomas Maloney, and with him was counsel for four years for President Johnson's estate, and conducted the noted case, before the supreme court, of Bessie M. Johnson, the widow of Andrew Johnson, Jr., against the administration of President Johnson's estate, which case was argued four different times before the supreme bench of Tennessee. He began practicing by himself, and has continued up to the present, having built up a fine practice and established for life an excellent professional standing, and for six years was local attorney for the East Tennessee & Virginia Railway. He is a man of fine legal talent, and a progressive and public spirited citizen. broad and liberal in his views. He has always encouraged all public enterprises of a worthy nature, and is now president of the board of enterprise of Greene County. He takes an active part in politics, and, during recent canvasses, stumped a large portion of this section. He takes an interest in the  schools and churches, and is a member of and an elder in the Presbyterian Church of Greeneville. He was married to Ellen Temple, June 7, 1860, only a few moments after he delivered his valedictory address at college. His wife was born in Greene County, April 19, 1843, and is the daughter of Col. M. S. Temple, one of the prominent citizens of Greene County, who represented his county in the State Legislature, and was also at one time superintendent of the East Tennessee & Virginia Railway. To this union eight children have been born, two of whom are dead. The eldest, Frank P., is a practicing physician of Cocke County. and Bird M., another son is connected with the Indian agency at Standing Rock, Dakota, who read law with his father, and on November 6, 1883, was licensed to practice by the supreme court of Tennessee. June 6, 1873, our subject was called to Tusculum College, and the degree of A. M. conferred upon him. He is, and has been for years, a trustee of Tusculum College. He was prosecuting lawyer in the celebrated case of Johnson vs. McHenry.

D. L. Russell, farmer and stock raiser, was born near his present home in Greene County, October 14, 1841, the son of John and Minerva (Thompson) Russell. The father was a farmer, and died at his home in Greene County, in February, 1885, aged seventy-two years, and the mother, also a native of Tennessee, was the daughter of Henry Thompson. Of nine children, those living are Daniel L., Samuel C., William F.. Edward G., John and Alfred H. Our subject was reared on the farm, and educated at the common schools. When of age he joined the Confederate Army, was in service four years, and has since been successfully devoted to farming. He now owns a farm of 350 acres, well improved.  In 1867 he married Mary V., a daughter of James Johnston. Their children are .John W., James J., Sudie and William. She died December 30, 1876 and in 1878 Sarah R., a daughter of H. Wells, became his wife. Their children are Minnie, Humphries, Jennie and David C. Our subject is a Presbyterian.

A. N. Shoun, lawyer, of the firm of Ingersoll & Shaun, was born in Johnson County, Tenn., November 1, 1851, the son of G. H. and Theodosia (Wilson) Shaun, the former born in that city in 1821, the son of Andrew, a native of the same, and he a son of Leonard, a pioneer of that county. The father, a successful merchant, is  now retired at Rheatown, where he removed at the close of the war. The mother was born in 1824 in Johnson County. and is the daughter of Andrew Wilson. Both parents are members of the Christian Church. Our subject was thirteen years of age when the family moved to Rheatown. and he spent one year (1865) in Emory and Jefferson College. Knox County; then one year in the Rheatown Academy, and finally graduated from Emory and Henry College, Va., in June, 1871. Be read law in the office of Judge H. H. Ingersoll two years, and was admitted to the bar in 1873. his license being signed by Judges Smith and Gillenwaters, and also by the master of the supreme court. For over three years he was engaged as merchant with his father, studying meanwhile, especially history. In 1878 he began his present law partnership. In 1873. Kate, a daughter of Thomas Johnson, became his wife. They have four children. She is a Methodist.

R. J. Snapp was born in Sullivan County, Tenn., October 1, 1843. and is the son of W. C. and A. E. Snapp. In September, 1851,  he entered Jefferson Academy, of Sullivan County, and attended this institution eight winters, laboring on the farm during the summer seasons, and passing his youth without noteworthy event.  In 1859 he was placed under the control of Rev. J. J. Smith. of Shelbyville. Ind.. who carefully directed his education for four years. In 1863 he returned to Knoxville and was there employed by Fishel & Elsas, as clerk in their dry goods establishment, but in 1866 obtained a position as clerk with Stokes & Waters, Lebanon. Tenn.. also in the dry goods business. Two years later (1868) he removed with this firm to Cherry Valley, Middle Tennessee, but the following Year (1869) returned to his father's house at Rheatown. Greene Co., Tenn. In 1870, he attended Laurel Hill Academy one term, and. in 1872, entered H. G. Eastman's Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., from the business course of which institution he graduated in four months. He then returned to his father. whose health was beginning to fail with the approach of old age, to take charge of the farm. and continued thus four years. From 1876 to 1877, he was engaged in the brick business at Greeneville. Tenn., and in 1876 embarked in the family grocery business with W. D. Culver as partner, the firm name being Snapp & Culver. In the fall of 1879, he bought out Mr. Culver. and is still continuing alone, having in 1883 added to his business a tannery and a boot, shoe, harness and saddle manufactory. He manufactures more leather than he can use and ships it in the rough to Eastern cities. In 1886-87, he built, under the supervision of J. F. Fields, architect. "Snapp's Opera House" the lower floor being used for stores, and the building being the most attractive in the place, and a credit to both owner and town. April 30. 1877, he was united in marriage with Miss Lizzie Lane, daughter of Thomas Lane, of Greeneville, which union has proven a very happy one, two bright boys, Earl and Clarence, having come to bless their parents. Earl is eight years old. and Clarence would have been four, had not God, for some wise purpose, seen proper last autumn to call him home.

Lawrence P. Speck, farmer and merchant miller, was born in Rogersville, Tenn., October 28. 1841, the son of George C. and Mary D. (Russell) Speck. The father. a native of Augusta County, Va.. was born in 1804, and died in 1847, and was of German-French origin. He was a tailor, and also dealt in live stock, and about 1844 moved from Hawkins County to Morristown, where his death occurred. The mother was born in Greene County, Tenn., June 24, 1814, and died February 20. 1886. Her children are Thos. J., Mary C.. Lawrence P. and George E. Our subject was reared in Rogersville and Morristown, and received a limited education in common schools, and a few terms at McMinn Academy. He was a clerk in early life, and worked several years in a printing office. With the opening of the war, while residing at Camden, Ark., he enlisted in Company C, first Arkansas Volunteers, Confederate Army, and was paroled at the close at Jamestown, N. C. He returned to Rogersville and then moved to New Orleans, and was employed in the cotton trade, with a firm engaged in that business. In 1867 he married Elizabeth Robertson, of Kosciusko, Miss. He then engaged in the newspaper business and merchandising at Morristown, Tenn. In 1880 he went to Rockford, Blount County, where he engaged in merchandising and manufacturing cotton goods, but in 1885 he began farming at his present home.  His children are George C., born October 10, 1869; Hugh W., born January 10, 1872: Annie L., born January 6. 1874; Thomas A., born April 16, 1876; Eugenia A., born February 22, 1878; Mary P., born December 21, 1880; Bessie L., born January 29, 1883; and Laura B., born December 28, 1884.

A. J. Stephens, sheriff, was born twelve miles south of Greeneville, in 1843, being the son of Samuel L. and Mary J. (Farnsworth) Stephens, the former born in this county April 2, 1805, the son of Andrew Stephens, of Pennsylvania. but a resident of Greene County since 1790. Samuel died April 26, 1874. The mother was born in Greene County October 13, 1820, being the daughter of Thomas Farnsworth. She is a Lutheran. and is still a resident of this county. Our subject was educated in a mill, and attended Richland Creek Academy. In 1862 he joined the Fourth Tennessee Federal Infantry, and was captured while en route for Kentucky, and taken to Knoxville and put in the Confederate service, but ran away at the first opportunity, and helped raise Company E, Second Federal North Carolina Mounted Infantry, of which he was chosen Second Lieutenant, serving until August 16. 1865, when. by special order of the war department, he was mustered out at Knoxville. He then established a wool-carding machine at Little Lick Creek. running it for three years, and then engaged in iron mining for two years. He was then a farmer and mill-wright until August, 1886, when he became sheriff. He is a Republican. In 1867 he married Martha E., a daughter of John Susong. She was born in Greene County in 1843, and is a Presbyterian. They have had four children.

S. J. R. Stephens, senior member of B. F. Stephens' Bros., of the Greeneville Woolen Mills, is the superintendent of the weaving department. The mills were first established at Birdsbridge in 1879, and afterward moved to Greeneville by the present firm. They are the largest between Knoxville and the Virginia line, and have a capacity of 150 pounds of yarn, and 500 yards of jeans cloth per day, though a general variety of goods is manufactured. Twenty-two of the best looms and thirty-five hands are employed, and they do an annual business of about $75,000. Our subject was born in 1849, in Greene County, and was educated in Tusculum College. He began flour-milling and taking out iron ore from the furnace near Birdsbridge, then after a year on the farm, he and his brothers established their business. In 1864 he married Florence, daughter of Andrew Bowers. They have had four children. B. F. Stephens, the second member, and superintendent Of the spinning department, was born in 1856, and educated at Mosheim Station, and then entered the flouring-mill and woolen-mills, removing to Greeneville in 1884. In 1878 he married Josephine, daughter of J. B. Bird. They have one child. Fox Stephens, junior member and book-keeper, was born in 1858, and was educated at Mosheim College. at Blue Springs, and began with his brothers on leaving school. In 1879 he married Josephine, daughter of Thomas N. Brooks. Samuel L., and Mary J. (Farnsworth) Stephens, the parents, were born—the former in Pennsylvania in 1805, and the latter in Greene County, Tenn., in 1820. The father was the son of John Stephens, a native of Germany, who came to Pennsylvania about 1809 or 1810. He was a farmer and blacksmith, and a Lutheran. He died in 1874. The mother, a daughter of Thomas Farnsworth, is also a Lutheran, and lives with the junior member of this firm, Fox Stephens.

A. D. Susong, merchant, was born in Greene County, November 10, 1820, the son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Eason) Susong, the former horn in Rockingham County, Va., in 1777, the son of Andrew, Sr., a native of Germany, and a soldier throughout the Revolution, who became a pioneer of Greene County in 1817, and died in 1826. Andrew. Jr., was a successful farmer in Greene County, and died in 1832, universally esteemed. The mother was born in Montgomery County, Va., a daughter of Samuel Eason, a native of Virginia, and owner of the Virginia site of Bristol, Tenn. She died in 1856. Both were Lutherans, but the mother after his death became a Presbyterian. Our subject was educated at Tusculum College, and then engaged for three years in a hardware store at Greeneville, since which he has been in his present general merchandise store at Timber Ridge. in connection with which he owns and cultivates from 700 to 800 acres of land. He was postmaster from 1847 to about 1859. and from 1866 to the administration of President Arthur. lie is a broad-minded man, and a Presbyterian. In 1868 he married Sarah. a daughter of Robert Cochran, of Greene County. She was born in 1840, near their present home. Sic is a Presbyterian. Three of their four children are living. He has been an elder of his church for the last thirty years.

L. W. Tipton, merchant, was born in Crab Orchard, Ky., June 20, 1838, the con of Jonathan and Mary (McJimpsey) Tipton, the former born in North Carolina in 1811, the son of Jonathan Tipton, a native of Carter County, Tenn. The father, a farmer, was killed in 1864, by Confederate soldiers, in retaliation for his sons being in the Federal Army. The mother was born in Catawba County, N. C., in 1818, the daughter of William McJimpsey. She now lives in North Carolina. Our subject was educated at Burnsville, N. C., and in 1862 joined Company D, Eighth Federal Tennessee Cavalry, but June 11, 1863, he was transferred to Company A, Third United States North Carolina Mounted Infantry, as second lieutenant. He was mustered out August 7, 1865, and has since been farming a mile east of Greeneville. He has also, since 1881, been engaged in the grocery business at Greeneville. He is a Mason, and a member of the Baptist Church. He is an intelligent and successful man. August 25, 1865, Clementine, a daughter of Eliza Headerick, became his wife, and five children have been born to them. She was born near Fall Branch in 1836.

Col. J. G. Weems, farmer, was born July 4, 1829, in Greene County, where he has since resided. He was -first engaged for seven years in the firm of Bailey & Weems. merchants and stock dealers, but since 1857 he has been farming. His father gave him $1,500, and be now owns about 500 acres of land where he resides, besides 267 acres elsewhere. May 15, 1850, he married Mary J., a daughter of William M. Williams, a native of Greene County. Their children were Laura E., George M., Eliza M. (deceased), Thomas B., Joel A., Charles P., John G. (deceased), Mary E., William M., James R. and Robert T.  Both are Methodists, and he is a leader among Prohibitionists. Politically he was a Democrat until 1831, at which time he took up. the cause of the Prohibitionists. He served four years as a justice, and then resigned. He is a Master Mason. He is the second of eight children of George and Matilda (Keele) Weems, natives of Greene and Jefferson (now Hamblen) Counties, respectively, the former deceased in July, 1839, aged forty-four, and the latter in December, 1863, aged about fifty-nine. John Weems, of North Carolina, was the next ancestor, and of Irish stock. Our subject was a colonel of State militia.

G. J. Weems, farmer and miller, of the firm of Weems & McDannald, was born in 1838 in Greene County, where he has since resided. He began with $3,000 worth of property. and now owns a fine farm of 300 acres at his home, and two other tracts of 293 acres, besides a half interest in the valuable mill property. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D. Eighth Tennessee Federal Infantry, and served until June, 1863, when he was mustered out at Nashville, having received a severe wound at Kenesaw Mountain. In 1865 Mattie J., daughter of William Ross, of the county of Greene, became his wife. Their children are Mary M. (now Mrs. Barlow), William R., Charles E., Livy A. S., Rebecca J., Dollie 0. and Nancy Alice. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he a Prohibitionist.

Joseph A. Williams, the subject of our sketch, is a farmer in the Ninth Civil District and was born in Greeneville, Tenn., May 3, 1832, and is the son of Dr. Alexander and Catherine Douglas (Dickson) Williams. The father was a native of Surry County, N. C., and was born in November, 1793, and died at Greeneville in August, 1852. The mother was born in Greeneville, Tenn., in 1802, and died in Greeneville in 1870. She was the mother of six sons and four daughters, of which children there now (1867) live only three sons, viz.: William D., Joseph A. and Thomas L. Joseph A., our subject was reared in Greeneville, and was educated in Greeneville and Knoxville, and early in life studied medicine and practiced the profession for a short time, and then began farming in Greene County, Tenn. He was farming when the civil war broke out, though he never enlisted, yet his sympathy was in favor of the Federal Army. In 1861 he married Lucy M. Rumbough, and it is said that Lucy betrayed Gen. John Morgan to the Union soldiers at Greeneville, but hereby the statement is denied. She was not the betrayer of the General, but was a sympathizer with the Union army, and never had an opportunity of betraying Gen. Morgan. In 1881 our subject was united in marriage with Mary Pattent for a second wife. She was an intelligent woman of noble character, and a devoted Christian, and her death occurred fourteen mouths after her marriage with our subject. Mr. Williams is a practical farmer, and owns and cultivates a portion of the Greeneville College farm. He is a man decisive in character, and is a faithful friend, and a well respected citizen.

Thomas L. Williams was born in Greeneville, Tenn., September 7, 1838; and is the son of Dr. Alexander and Catherine (Dickson) Williams. The father was born in Sorry County. N. C., in November, 1793, and died in Greeneville, Tenn., in August. 1852. The mother was a native of Greeneville, Tenn., and was born in 1802, and died in 1870. She was the daughter of William Dickson, an early settler of East Tennessee. She was the mother of six sons and four daughters. of which family there are now (1887) living only three sons, viz: William D.; Joseph A. and our subject, who was reared in Greeneville, and educated at Greeneville, Knoxville and Chapel Hill, N. C. At the outbreak of the war. he left college at .Knoxville, and entered the Confederate Army, in Company E, Sixteenth Battalion. Buckner's Legion. and afterward was transferred to Vaughn's Brigade. He became captain, and was paroled as such, and surrendered at Anderson Court House. S. C. Such was the prejudice against him in his native community, which was principally of Union sentiment, that he was forced to leave his native county, and went to Baltimore and elsewhere. About six years after the war he settled in Greene County, and has farmed ever since. He owns and cultivates a portion of the. Greeneville College farm, and is a practical farmer. In 1870 he married Mary Simpson, daughter of Hon. Richard F. Simpson. of South Carolina. She was born March 1, 1842, and is the mother of nine children, of whom only six now (1887) live, viz: Eliza S., Richard F., William D., Thomas L.. Maria L. and Anna Simpson.

William Houston Williams,  merchant, was born December 5, 1834, in Blount County, and is the son of W. B. and Elizabeth (Hubbell) Williams. natives of Smyth County, Va., the former born in 1796, being the son of Major Samuel Williams, a native of Rye Valley, Va.. and a soldier of the Continental war. He was also an extensive iron works owner in his native state. He settled in Blount County in 1822, and was a farmer, a captain in the militia, and also a deputy sheriff, and died in 1852. The mother was born in 1806, being the daughter of Joel Hubbell, a farmer of Smyth County, Va. She died in 1826, when our subject was a child. Both parents were Baptists. Our subject was educated at Maryville College, Blount County, and Mossy Creek (now Carson) College, and taught for one year, when he joined Company K, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry (Confederate), as orderly sergeant. In December, 1863, he was captured at Knoxville, but escaped near Richmond, while en route for Camp Chase, Ohio. He taught then two years in Kentucky, one in Alabama and three in Tennessee. In 1871 he began extensive wheat dealing in Greeneville for the Kenesaw (Ga.) mills, continuing up to 1882, gaining the title by which he is generally known, of " Wheat William." Since that date he has been a successful merchant. He is a stockholder in the public schools, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a Knight of Honor. In 1874 he married Mary J., a daughter of Lemuel White, a Methodist divine of Hawkins County, where she was horn in 1844. She taught several years in Greene and Washington Counties, and at Weaverville, N. C. Two of their four children are deceased. His wife is a Methodist.
 
 

© 2007 Greene County, TNGenWeb coordinator and/or individual contributors. You are welcome to copy information found on this Greene County  for your personal use, but this information may not be sold,  used,  reposted or cached elsewhere  without expressed permission of the copyright holder(s).  Last updated 10/25/2007