Family Record Valentine Sevier of Greeneville
Contributed by Pat Sabin
|This is transcribed from a hand written family
record on separate sheets of paper (possibly transcribed from a
Bible). The original papers were in the effects of Nannie Leila
Sevier Sabin of Jonesborough, TN (1856-1935), the only daughter
of Dr. William Robertson Sevier.
Note: I have not changed the spelling on any of the names...they have been transcribed as they are written, which includes nicknames. The "old store house" of Mr. Deaderick could be "stone house."
Valentine Sevier was the son of Capt. Robert Sevier (brother of Gen. John Sevier) and was Clerk of Circuit Court in Greene County for about 50 years.
See scanned images of actual documents.
Valentine Sevier, born 8th July 1780
Nancy Dinwiddie, his Wife, born 27th December 1786
Their children- To wit-
1. Isabel, born thursday 10th January 1805, about 8 o'clock in the morning- at her
Grandfather D's on Sinking Creek where the [road crosses?] Babb's Mill.
2. Kezia, born, saturday 22nd March 1806, about 3 o'clock, afternoon, in Greeneville, in
the counting room, back of store.
3. Robert, born tuesday 13th October 1807, about 12 o'clock at night, in Greeneville, in
back part of counting room of the old store house of Mr. Deaderick.
4. Betsy, born friday 13th October 1809, about 12 o'clock at night, in Greeneville, in the
red room upstairs of store house of Mr. Deaderick.
5. Susanna, born tuesday 3rd March 1812, about 7 o'clock in the evening in Greeneville in
same room that Betsy was born in.
6. James, born thursday morning about 8 o'clock, 17th February 1814 in the same room that
Betsy & Susan were born in.
7. Charles, born tuesday 30th April 1816 about 5 o'clock, afternoon in the same room of
Betsy & others birth.
8. Jane, born monday evening between 7 & 8 o'clock, 24th August 1818 in the green room
upstairs in the same house.
9. David, born friday morning, 10 o'clock- 6th October 1820 in the green room above named.
10. William, born Saturday 7th September, 1822, 5 o'clock afternoon in the lower room of
Doct. McCorkle's house in Greeneville.
11. Mary, born tuesday 21st December 1824, 7 o'clock in the morning in the same room of
12. Edward, born thursday 20th July 1826 - 2 o'clock, afternoon in same room of William &
13. Joseph born monday 30th March 1829- 10 o'clock at night in our lodging room below
stairs in brick house in
Valentine Sevier & Nancy Dinwiddie - by Rev. John W. Doak, tuesday 3rd January 1804, at
Mr. Jas. Dinwiddie's (the place of Isabel's birth -
1. Isabel, to Francis A. McCorkle by Rev. Sam. W. Doak- thursday 9th December 1824 in the
house now owned by Doct. McCorkle.
2. Kezia, to George Jones, by Rev. Sam. W. Doak - tuesday 18th January 1825 in same house
of Isabel's marriage -
3. Robert, to Ann H. Sibley, by [blank], 24th March 1831 in St. Charles, Missouri.
4. Elizabeth, or Betsy, to John W. Cunningham by Rev. James McLin, 20th October 1831, in
our brick house.
5. Jane, to James H. Vance by Rev A. Rafe [?]
6. James to Jane Simpson by Rev. Francis A. McCorkle - thursday 1st September 1836 in
7. Charles, to Elizabeth Briscoe by Rev. [blank], near Canton, Mississippi.
8. William to Martha Ellen Cunningham, by Rev. John W. Cunningham, Jonesborough, Tenn.
9. David to Annis R. Netherland, by Rev. Frederick A. Rafe, 1st Oct. 1845 on Long Island
near Kingsport, Sullivan Co.
[Note: Two items below may be in a different hand]
Val Sevier & Vinerah Cannon married by Doct. F.A. McCorkle thursday 16th April 1846.
Charles Lyman their son born friday morning (8 o'clock) 30th April 1847.
11. Mary - on tuesday morning 6th September 1825 - about 6 o'clock in the room of her
My beloved Wife Nancy tuesday 26th March 1844, about a quarter before 4 o'clock in the
evening, at the home of Mr. Geo. Jones in Greeneville, where she was taken sick friday
22nd March 1844.
7. Charles (my beloved son) on monday 5th August 1844, about [blank] o'clock at his
residence in Mississippi (near Canton).
Mr. James Dinwiddie, Jr. died 6 May 1806
Mary McCorkle, died 15th March 1827
Mrs. Isabel Dinwiddie died about 12 o'clock at night of wed. 28th Sept. 1831
© 2008 Pat Sabin, Greene County, TNGenWeb coordinator and/or individual contributors. You are welcome to copy information found on this Greene County for your personal use, but this information may not be sold, used, reposted or cached elsewhere without expressed permission of the copyright holder(s). Last updated 03/04/2008