Dr. E. H. Jones, a prominent physician and surgeon of Viola, was born near Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., Tenn., and was the eldest of three children born to James and Cecilia (Overall) Jones. The father died in 1857. E. H. Jones, grandfather of our subject, an extensive planter and stock raiser in Rutherford County, reared and educated him, giving him a university education. At an early age he chose the medical profession, and in the spring of 1870 he entered the drug store of H. J. White of Navasota, Tex., as clerk, in which business he remained until 1875, when he returned to Tennessee and began the study of medicine under Dr. G. W. Overall of Murfreesboro, now of Memphis. In 1876-77 he attended the medical college of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., and in 1877-78 he attended the medical college at Philadelphia, where he graduated with the highest honors. In 1878 he began the practice of his profession at Jacksboro, Tenn., where he remained one year, and in 1879 moved to Viola, at which place he has been very successful up to the present time. He was postmaster at Jacksboro, Tenn., for one year, and assistant postmaster at Viola three years. He was married March 11, 1886, to Fannie Potter, daughter of Thomas and Samantha (West) Potter of Smithville, Tenn. Both himself and wife are members of the Christian Church in good standing. Politically he is a stanch Democrat, and is highly respected in the vicinity both socially and as a physician.
James E. Jones is a native of Warren County, born near McMinnville, March 3, 1843, the third of eight children born to Zachariah B. and Eliza J. (Biles) Jones, both of English descent and natives of Tennessee. The father was born April 12, 1812. He was a farmer, a Republican and a worthy member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. His death occurred in Warren County in 1879. The mother, who is several years younger, is living a resident of Warren County. James E. secured a good education and early in life began farming. In 1870 he purchased a farm of 100 acres in the Tenth Civil District, where he soon after settled. The celebrated Nicholson Springs are situated on this farm. In 1872 he disposed of this farm and after making several changes in real estate, he purchased the farm he now owns in the Ninth Civil District. Mr. Jones has been successful in acquiring this world's goods, owning at present 200 acres of land, besides an improved lot in McMinnville. In February, 1877, he received the appointment of United States gauger and held this office ten years. He was assigned the section of country principally about McMinnville, and was a popular officer with both political parties. October 4, 1866, Mr. Jones wedded Miss Elizabeth T. Heneger, a native of Warren County, born April 9, 1849, a daughter of Geo. W. Heneger, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are the parents of six children one son and five daughters, the son and one daughter deceased. Mr. Jones is a Republican, and he and wife and three children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Robert Keaton, a resident of the Fifteenth Civil District of Warren County, was born near Liberty, Wilson Co., Tenn., December 25, 1830, and is the son of William and Susan (Hollandsworth) Keaton. The father was born near Richmond, Va., and the dates of his birth and death are unknown. He came to Wilson County, Tenn., after his marriage and remained in that county until his death. He was a farmer by occupation, a member of the Baptist Church, and a Whig in politics. The mother was a consistent member of the Baptist Church, and died in 1867. Our subject was the ninth of ten children; at the age of eighteen he left the parental roof and went to Mississippi, where he remained two years; he then came back to Wilson County, where his mother was living, and August 30, 1852, he married Miss Louisa Reider, who was born May 24, 1833, and who died April 1, 1862. To them were born five children, three of whom are living, viz.: Sarah A., Harriett A. and Mary M. Those deceased are William T., born June 1, 1853, and died March 1, 1856. Phoeba P. died in infancy. Mr. Keaton remained in Wilson County until 1855, when he came to Warren County, settled on his present location and engaged in farming. In 1864 he married Miss L. M. Wilson. a native of Wilson County, born May 24, 1843, a member of the Baptist Church, and the daughter of Allen and Elizabeth Wilson. In 1869 Mr. Keaton began preaching the gospel in the Missionary Baptist Church, which he continues to the present day. His last marriage resulted in the birth of four children. three of whom are living: Charles L., Parthenia A., Allen D., and one died in infancy. Mr. Keaton is well known and very much respected throughout the county.