TNGenWeb Project
The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
Biographical Sketches, Warren County

~ H ~

        J. S. Harrison, M. D., a well known physician of McMinnville, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., May 8, 1831, the second of five children born to Edmond R. and Rebecca M. (Hawkins) Harrison. The father was born March 1, 1807, was a successful farmer, and died in 1881. The grandparents were natives of Virginia, and were of English ancestry. The mother was born May 1, 1805, in Virginia, but immigrated to Tennessee at an early day, and is still living. J. S. was reared on a farm, and his early education was obtained in the common schools, and he finished his literary course at Alpine College, Overton County, after which he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. L. Thompson, of Smith County. In the fall of 1854 he entered the old medical college of Nashville, from which he graduated in the spring of 1856. He then began the practice of his profession at Liberty, DeKalb County, and continued there until the breaking out of the war, when he entered the Confederate service, enlisting in Company C, Second Tennessee Cavalry. He was appointed sergeant in 1862, and later elected lieutenant. He was wounded in the right arm at the battle of Harrisburg, and was disabled for service for five weeks. At the close of the war Dr. Harrison returned home, and engaged in the practice of his profession at Smithville, DeKalb Co., Tenn., and continued there until November 1, 1883, when he moved to McMinnville, where he has built up a good practice. December 23, 1856, Dr. Harrison married Julia E., daughter of John and Mary West. She was born February 1, 1834. Dr. Harrison is a self-made man, and by economy and judicious management has accumulated a fair competency.


        J. W. Hash, a wide-awake farmer of Warren County, Tenn., was born November 24, 1818, near Rock Island, Warren County, and is the son of William and Elizabeth (Baldwin) Hash, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in Ash County in 1783, was married about 1808, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1810. He was an old line Whig in politics, and he and wife were firm believers in the Christian religion. He died October 1, 1851, and the mother died about 1872. Our subject was the fifth of eight children born to his parents, and remained at home until twenty-four years of age, when he began for himself. October 13, 1842, he married Nancy Franks, a native of Tennessee, born in 1822 in White County, and the fruits of this union were eleven children eight of whom are living: Elizabeth, born May 6, 1843, and died May 25, 1862; Mary, born January 18, 1845, and died June 24, 1867; James H., born August 3, 1851, and died November 5, 1866. Those living are William H., Margaret L., Lean, Tabitha, John W., Jefferson D. and George W. Henry. They have also one grandson named Monroe G., son of Mary. Our subject and wife are members of the Separate Baptist Church. Mr. Hash now owns 200 acres of good land, the principal part of which is under cultivation. Before the war he was an old line Whig, but since that event has been a decided Democrat.


        Hon. George H. Hash, a prominent and enterprising farmer of Warren County is a resident of the Third District. He was born December 16, 1839, and is the son of Thomas and Drucilla (Howell) Hash. Thomas Hash is a native of Virginia, having been born there April 2, 1792. He came to Warren County, Tenn., about the year 1810, settling where the subject of this sketch now lives. He married Miss Drucilla Howell who was born in Grayson County, Va., about 1794. About the year 1815 Thomas Hash was an enterprising and successful man. The subject of this sketch lived with his parents until the spring of 1861, when he enlisted in Company C, Twenty-fifth Tennessee (Confederate) Infantry, under Col. S. S. Stanton, and remained in the service until the surrender of Gen. Lee, having been engaged in numerous heavy battles and having received several severe wounds. Previous to his discharge from the army he was promoted to the captaincy of his company, in which capacity he was serving when he surrendered with the rest of the army at Appomattox C. H. He then returned to Warren County and engaged in teaching school about eight years, being at the same time engaged also in farming, the latter occupation having ever since occupied his time. In January, 1887, he became interested in a broom manufactory at Rock Island. In 1880 he was elected as a Democrat to, represent his county in the Legislature. He has always been an ardent and devoted member of that party. In early life he acquired a good education, being a member of the senior class at Burritt College, at the breaking out of the war. He was married September 5, 1866, to Miss Sophia Mauzy, who was born in February, 1843, in Bledsoe County, Tenn. She is a daughter of Dr. Thomas and Jane (Floyd) Mauzy, is a graduate of Burritt College, a lady of refinement and a member of the Christian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Hash have four children: Victor H., Charles M., Jane L. and Ella D.


        Hon. H. L. W. Hill, one of the most prominent and enterprising citizens of Warren County, now living in the Sixth District, was born March 1, 1810; son of Henry J. A. and Susannah (Swales) Hill. The father was of English-Irish descent, born in Edgecomb County, N. C., February 7, 1774, and died in Warren County, Tenn., August 1, 1825, from the result of an amputation of a limb that was injured in childhood. He moved to Georgia in 1800, and two years later came to what was then White County. A few years later he was a member of the Legislature and voted for the act separating Warren County from White County. While living in Georgia he was a member of the Baptist Church, but after moving to Tennessee he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. The mother of our subject was born in St. Mary County, Md., December 31, 1767. She was also a member of the Baptist Church while in Georgia, but joined the Methodist Episcopal Church after coming to Tennessee. Her marriage resulted in the birth of seven children, of whom our subject is the youngest. He was born and has lived ever since where he now resides. After his father's death he continued to still live with his widowed mother till her death in 1846. He received his rudimentary education in the schools of the neighborhood, afterward taking a thorough course under Dr. F. H. Gordon and James B. Moore, at Porter's Hill, Tenn. After that he studied under Dr. Lawrence, at Carroll Academy, McMinnville, and then at Cumberland College, Nashville, of which Dr. Phillip Lindsley was president. After leaving Nashville he returned to McMinnville and taught school at Carroll Academy five months; then returned home and began farming and cultivating fine fruits, and distilling fine fruit brandies for medicinal purposes, which pursuits he continues to the present time. He began life with very little, but now owns considerable property. He has some very good farm lands in the valleys of Collins River and Hills Creek, some of which and some rich north mountain sides are in orchards, mainly apple. He also owns a considerable tract of mountain land, valuable for its deposits of iron ore, stone coal, timber and wild meadow and grazing grasses. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1837, and re-elected in 1839 and 1841. He was elected to the Lower House of the XXX Congress in 1847, and represented the people in the State Constitutional Convention, in 1870. May 14, 1840, he married Miss Virginia A. Dearing, who was born July 3, 1823, and who is the daughter of Col. W. L S. and Mary T. Dearing. This union resulted in the birth of ten children. Those living are Bertha born June 18, 1842; Virgil, born March 2, 1851; Susan, born April 19, 1853; Franklin, born July 20, 1855; Eliza, born January 23, 1858; Athelia, born December 29, 1859; Octa, born March 7, 1862; Mary D., born September 28, 1866. Two children, Dearing and Livingston, are dead. Col. Hill is a Democrat; has constantly maintained a first-rate character as a moral and most excellent citizen. He has never professed religion, been a member of any church or secret society. He firmly believes in the existence of and omnipotent, eternal living God and he hopes for immortality.


        Franklin Hill, farmer and stock raiser of Warren County, and now a resident of the Sixth Civil District, was born near his present home July 20, 1855, and is the son of Col. H. L. W. and Virginia (Dearing) Hill. The father was born in the Sixth Civil District of Warren County, Tenn., March 1, 1810, and is of English descent. His principal occupation has been that of a farmer, fruit raiser and distiller. In 1837 he was elected to represent Warren County in the Legislature, and was re-elected in 1839 and 1841. He was elected to the XXX Congress in 1847, and represented the people in the Constitutional Convention which met at Nashville in 1870. He has been a close student all his life, and is one of the influential citizens of the county. He is a Democrat and a Master Mason. The mother was born July 3, 1823. Our subject is the sixth of ten children. He lived with his parents up to the time of his marriage, which occurred June 24, 1875, and then moved to his present location. His wife, Leanora Myers, is a daughter of J. N. and N. Myers. She is well educated and a member of the Christian Church. To their union were born five children: Oscar, H. L. W., Virginia, Beatrice and Walter, who was born July 11, 1876, and died July 24, 1876. Our subject has a good education, which he secured at Water's & Walling's College, McMinnville, Tenn. He began life for himself by purchasing 400 acres of land of his father, which by hard work and good management has increased greatly in value.

        I. P. Hill, farmer and stock raiser, was born near Irving College, Tennessee, January 19, 1825, the son of Isaac and Eliza Hill. The father was of English origin and born on Tar River, North Carolina, December 20, 1797, and came to Tennessee in 1800 with his parents and settled at Hill Creek, Warren County. He was a Democrat. His death occurred October 6, 1872. The mother, born February 4, 1800, in Jasper County, Ga., died in Warren County, Tenn., November 8, 1859. She was of English descent, and married August 20, 1818. Our subject lived at home until September 19, 1850, when he married Catherine, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Daniels, and born in Fairfax County, Va., October 10, 1830. She is of English descent and well educated. Five of their seven children are living: Isaac, Adia G., Ella M., E. Elizabeth and Andrew P. Melchisedec, born July 12, 1857, died December 16, 1857; Lillian L., born January 1, 1865, died April 2, 1882. Our subject was educated at Irving College, Tennessee, and is an active and enterprising man. When he began for himself his father gave him 300 acres of land, which he has increased to double its former value. He is a decided Democrat in politics.

Isaiah T. Hillis, an enterprising and well known farmer of the Fourth Civil District, Warren County, was born in the county October 23, 1839, and is the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Drake) Hillis. Isaac Hillis is of Irish descent, and was born in Warren County, Tenn., in 1806. He had a good education and was a successful man, and died in 1877. His father was a native of North Carolina, and went from that State to Kentucky with Daniel Boone, but came to Tennessee and settled on Rocky River in 1804, thus being one of the first settlers of Warren County. The mother of Isaac T. Hillis was born in Carter County in 1808, and was of English descent. She was a well educated woman, and died in 1878. The subject of this sketch lived with his parents until the breaking out of the civil war, when he enlisted in Company I, Sixteenth Tennessee (Confederate) Infantry, and was in active service four years and seven days. He was at the battles of Chickamauga, Murfreesboro, Corinth, and numerous smaller battles and skirmishes. During the first two years he was in feeble health, and in different hospitals - Huntersville, Va., Rockbridge, Va., and Columbus, Miss. After his return from the war he lived with his parents until December 23, 1869, when he was married to Miss Maranda J. Moore, of White County, Tenn., a most worthy and well educated woman. She is the daughter of Alexander and Mary Moore, and is herself the mother of five children, all living: Charles M., Mary M., Ransom M., Isaac H. and Maranda J. When married, Mr. Hillis moved to his present location. In his youth he secured A collegiate education at Burritt College, situated at Spencer, Van Buren Co., Tenn. He is a very active and decided man, and a Democrat dyed in the wool. He has been elected by that party to the office of justice of the peace and other offices.


        William Houchin, one of the proprietors of firm of Houchin & Biles' livery stable, is a native of McMinnville, born January 21, 1843, and by his own efforts secured a good education. He has nearly all his life been engaged in the livery business. Early in the year 1805 Mr. Houchin went to Nashville and for six months worked at the mechanic's trade but in July of the same year returned to McMinnville and in partnership with G. W. Hoodenpyl opened a livery stable, which they continued until 1869. In the meantime they had admitted another partner, J. D. Marshall. In January, 1869, N. W. Griswald entered the firm by purchasing the interest of Mr. Hoodenpyl. Mr. Houchin and Mr. Griswald then bought out J. D. Marshall and the firm was changed from G. W. Hoodenpyl & CO. to Griswald & Houchin. In September, 1878, Mr. Griswald died and Mr. Houchin closed out the property at public sale. The following November he opened another stable, having for a partner Mr. William Biles, and since then the firm has been very prosperous. They deal quite extensively in mules shipping from Warren and adjoining counties to the Southern States. January 18, 1886, they suffered a heavy loss by thirty-six mules being burned at Selma, Ala. Mr. Houchin is one of the rising business men of McMinnville and has a fair competency of this world's goods. He is an Independent in politics and although not a member of any church is a firm believer in Christianity.


        W. D. Hughes, farmer and distiller, was born near Irving College, Warren County, Tenn., November 7, 1858. He is the son of J. C. and Elizabeth Hughes. The father, of Irish descent, was born near the same place in 1831. He has been a farmer all his life, but for the past twenty years has been connected with a brandy distillery. He is a Democrat and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The mother was also a member of this church, and was of English descent. She was born in North Carolina in 1827 and died August 1, 1877. Our subject, the fourth of nine children, began life for himself when twenty-one years of age, by becoming a partner of his father in the farming and distilling business. After four years he purchased his father's interest and continued the business in his own name. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the I. O. O. F. order. Politically he is a Democrat and was educated at Burritt College, Spencer, Tenn.

Biographies
B - C E - F - G H J - K M N - O P - R S - T W - Y


Table of Contents Page

Warren County TNGenWeb Home Page

This page last updated on Wednesday, August 12, 2015