TNGenWeb Project
The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
Pages 1081-1088

Biographical Sketches
Loudon County

Transcribed by Mitzi Freeman

       The Blair Family has, since the very earliest settlement of East Tennessee, been prominent in its history, and still has many representatives in Loudon and the surrounding counties. These are all descendants of John Blair, a soldier at King’s Mountain, and a pioneer from South Carolina to Washington County, Tenn., where he died in 1819. His family of six sons and four daughters -- Hugh, John, James, William, Thomas, Samuel, Jane, Mary, Martha and Rachel -- came from Washington County to the present site of Loudon about 1790, and soon after, what was long known as Blair’s Ferry was established. Hugh, the eldest of this family, was a cripple, who never married, and always made his home with his brother James. But little is known of the four daughters and of the second and sixth named sons. James was born in 1777, and married Jane Carmichael, a member of another pioneer East Tennessee family. They remained in the vicinity of Blair’s Ferry, where they accumulated considerable poperty (sic) and many slaves. They raised five sons and two daughters, and had two infant daughters, deceased. William, the fourth mentioned above, married Sarah Simmons, who died in 1849, six years after his own death. Four sons and six daughters were reared by them. The fifth named above Thomas, remained in Blair’s Ferry a short time, and went to Indiana. John, the eldest of James Blair’s family, was born July 19, 1800, and married Elizabeth Johnston in 1827. He then located on the farm now owned by his son, Dr. J. L. Blair. He was an officer in the State militia, and was for many years a justice of the peace. His death occurred January 18, 1858, his wife having preceeded him November 14, 1845. Dr. J. L. Blair is the eldest of five sons and five daughters, and of three survivors of these, himself, Dr. Hugh A., of Wilson County, and Martha A., now Mrs. George W. St. John, of Washington County. Dr. J. L. was born in 1828, and 1853 married Margaret L. Barkley, a native of Jonesboro. Of their two sons and three daughters, two of the latter are deceased, as is the mother also, who died January 5, 1871. In 1872 the Doctor married Mrs. Lucy A. Osborn (nee George), a native of Blount County, to whom two sons and four daughters have been born. The Doctor was educated chiefly at Hiwassee College, and in 1852 attended the Union Medical College, of New York, since which time he has practiced in this locality. Returning now to the James Blair family, we will mention Wiley, who was born in Loudon in 1813, and married Mary M. Johnston, rearing a family of three sons and two daughters, one of whom, Rachel E. C., is now deceased. The other daughter, Laura J., is the wife of William R. Blair, of this county. James M., W. W. and H. E. F. are the sons, the first of whom, James M. was born in 1844, since which time he has lived in this vicinity. W. W. was born in 1851 and married Frankie M. Browder; they have three daughters. H. E. F. was born in 1854 and married Martha K. Eldridge. They have two sons and two daughters. William, the fourth named son of John Blair, had four sons and six daughters; the first of these, John, was born in Loudon (then Roane) County, in 1808, and married Mary C. Edwards, a native of Virginia, to whom one son, William R. (a prominent farmer of Loudon County) and one daughter, Sarah J. (now the wife John Hall, of Loudon County,) were born. John Blair and wife died in 1875 and 1880, respectively. Of the other children of William Blair, Vincent and Hugh reside in Texas, and Elizabeth, now a widow of Andrew Allen, resides in Loudon County. The rest are deceased.

       C. T. P. Davis, a farmer, was born October 14, 1811, in Greene County, Tenn., and when eleven years old his father moved to a farm, where he has since resided. He is the youngest of five children of Jonathan and Sarah (Crosby) Davis, born and reared in Virginia, but married in Greene County. Nathan Davis, the grandfather, commanded a company during the Revolution, and about 1781 became one of the leading farmers of Greene County. Uriah Crosby, the maternal grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and a prominent farmer of Greene County. Their ancestors are of Welsh-English stock. The father was an active, old line Whig, and when the Legislature met at Murfreesboro, was appointed justice, serving for many years, and eventually assisting in establishing the boundary of Monroe County. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He made his home with his father until the latter’s death, in 1854, when his sister kept house for him until his marriage. July 22, 1873, he married Amanda E., daughter of James and Mary (Scott) Griffiths, natives of Blount County, and residents of the same until the former’s death, June 2, 1870, since when the latter has lived with her daughter, Mrs. Davis. Our subject’s children are Charlie H. and Sarah N. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church forty-five years, while his wife is a Presbyterian. Our subject is a Master Mason, and Republican, first voting for the Whig candidate, in 1836. From March, 1848, he served as justice for eighteen years, and was the first to advocate and aid in establishing the Monroe County Infirmary. After Loudon County was established, he served most successfully as chairman of the county court for one year, and also assisted in establishing an infirmary in this county, and in clearing the county of debt. He began with twenty acres , but now owns 2,200 acres of fine land, on which are deposits of iron and silver ore. His grandfather, Nathan, was a brother of the grandfather of Jefferson Davis. Mrs. Davis is a third cousin of Samuel Houston. Our subject is an able man, and a most efficient officer.

       Dr. R. P. Eaton, a prominent farmer and successful practitioner, was born in 1835, in Jefferson County, where he was reared and educated. About 1856 he began the study of medicine, moving in 1858 within the present limits of Loudon County, and in 1865 to his present home, where he has enjoyed a lucrative practice. He began, a poor man, with $4 and little property, but has, by care and application, acquired his present home of 600 fine acres. He represented Knox and Roane Counties in the State Senate, in 1967-68, and at present is one of the board of trustees of the State University. November 13, 1859, he married his present wife. They have had two sons and five daughters. The Eaton family is of Scotch-Irish origin, and came to this State from Pennsylvania. The paternal grandfather, Robert D., was a captain, under Jackson, in the war of 1812. He and his wife died in Anderson County. Andrew C., the father, was born in Grainger County, in 1804, and married Susan M. Donaldson, of Jefferson County. Their decease occurred in 1878 and 1880 respectively. Our subject and Ellen C., now Mrs. Boyd (a widow), of this county, are their only children.

       J. P. Freeman, a farmer in the Eleventh District, was born in March, 1844, in Roane County, addition to Loudon County. He is the youngest of six children of James and Achsa (Pouder) Freeman. The father was born and raised in Roane County. He commanded Company D, Fourth Tennessee Infantry, in the Mexican war. He was a son of John and Susan (Davis) Freeman. Mr. and Mrs. John Freeman were born and raised in Virginia, and Mrs. Freeman came with her parents to Tennessee in 1812, and Mr. Freeman came to Tennessee some time before that. He served Roane County for many years as County Judge. James Freeman died shortly after he came out of the Mexican war, from a disease contacted while he was in the service. Mrs. Freeman is making her home with her son, J. P. Freeman. J. P. Freemen received his education in the common schools of Roane County. When seventeen years old he enlisted in Company I, First Tennessee Infantry of the Federal Army, and served until the fall of 1864. He was sergeant of his company. He was offered the captaincy of his company, and also of a cavalry company, but on account of ill health would not accept. He was thrown upon his own resources when seventeen years old, a poor man, and what he is now worth, was accumulated by his own industry and good management. He now owns 370 acres of land on the Tennessee River, two and one-half miles north of Loudon. He was married in 1868, to Alice E. Malloy. By this union one child was born -- Alice, now Mrs. Kollock. Mrs. Freeman died in 1869. He was married in 1872 to Mrs. Littleton, nee Miss Harvey. By this union seven children have been born: James H., Emerson J., Joseph W., Achsa, Robert S., Frances and Hester. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman are members of the Missionary Baptish Church. Mr. Freeman is assistant clerk. He is independent in politics and cast his first presidential vote for Samuel J. Tilden. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

       G. W. Hardin, a farmer, was born in 1833, in Knox County, where he continued to live until the fall of 1858. He then traveled through several of the Western States, and located near Springfield, Mo. He returned to Knox County, in March, 1860, and, in 1862, enlisted in Company F, Twenty-sixth Tennessee Infantry (Confederate), and served until he surrendered with Johnston’s army. He had an arm shot off at Atlanta, and, with the exception of the time he lay in the hospital because of wounds, engaged in all the actions in which his company took part. Farming has been his occupation. July 30, 1861, he married Julia C. Winton, a daughter of John W. and Eliza (Browder) Winton, natives of what is now Loudon County. Their children were Oscar J. and Lula B. (deceased). Mrs. Hardin is a Methodist of the Southern Branch. Our subject is a Democrat and first voted for Buchanan. He is the third of eight children, of Joseph and A. (Calloway) Hardin, the former spending his whole life in Knox County, and the latter a native of Ashe County, N. C., and form her sixteenth year a resident of Knox County. The father was a colonel of militia. Our subject now owns a fine farm of 700 acres, well cultivated, and located on the Union railroad, four miles east of Lenoirs.

       C. M. Hotchkiss was born in 1802, in what is now Loudon County. He is the third of six children of Jared and Betsey (Knight) Hotchkiss. Jared Hotchkiss was born and raised in New Haven, Connecticut, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1801. He was a tailor by trade, and during the Revolutionary war assisted in making clothing for the soldiers. He was widely known, and a highly respected citizen. He kept tavern for many years on the Knoxville & Kingston Road. Mr. and Mrs. Jared Hotchkiss were of English descent. Mrs. Hotchkiss was born and raised in New Glasgow, Va. where she married. After his father’s death, in 1838, C. M. Hotchkiss was married in 1838 to Sallie Ann Wyly, a daughter of Harris and Artemus (Taylor) Wyly. Mr. and Mrs. Wyly were born and raised in Virginia, and at a very early day moved to Alabama, where Mrs. Hotchkiss was born in 1811. Mr. Wyly moved his family to Blount County, in 1829. He followed merchandising from the time he became twenty years old until his death in 1841. He served his district as justice of the peace for many years, giving entire satisfaction. Mr. Wyly was of Irish and Mrs. Wyly of English descent. To Mr. and Mrs. Hotchkiss six children have been born: Louisa, now Mrs. Lauderdale; Isabella, who first married John Anderson, and after his death she married John Hill; Salle, now Mrs. Johnson; Betsey, deceased; Artemus, deceased; Claiborne, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Hotchkiss are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Hotchkiss has been a deacon in the church since 1832. He is a Democrat in politics and cast his first presidential ticket for a Democratic candidate in 1824. He is a very enthusiastic Christian worker, and a very successful farm manager.

       W. E. Huff, a farmer and citizen of Loudon County, was born October 14, 1842, and is a grandson of John Huff, who was a native of Virginia, and married Mary Yates, a member of a prominent Virginia family. They reared most of their family of three sons and six daughters, in Virginia, then located near the mouth of the Sweetwater, within the present limits of Loudon County. He was agent for the King Salt Works, of Virginia, many years, and died in 1830; his widow afterward lived with the children till her death in this vicinity about 1850. Some of the children moved to Texas, some to Missouri, and others to Kentucky; James H., now of Whitfield County, Ga., near the Tennessee State line, being the only survivor. William Yates Huff, one of the sons of John and Mary Huff, and the father of our subject, was born in Virginia in 1809, and in youth came with his parents to this vicinity, and remained at home till the age of maturity, then married Keziah Tunnell, and located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits as his general occupation the balance of his life. He served as a Roane County official fourteen years and at the time of his death in 1870 was chairman of the Loudon County Court. His wife (our subject’s mother) was a great-granddaughter of William Tunnell, of Spottsylvania County, Va., whose youngest son, Stephen, (grandfather of our subject’s mother), was born in 1754 or 1755, near Fredericksburg, Va., and married Keziah Money in 1776, and later located near Jonesboro, Tenn., from where he moved to Sequatchie Valley in 1804, thence to Monroe County, Ky., in 1808, and died there in 1828. William Tunnel (father of subject’s mother and grandfather of our subject) was born in 1780, and was the second of eleven children born to Stephen and Keziah Tunnell. He was among the first settlers of the Hiwassee Purchase, and entered the land now owned by Loudon’s old citizen, T. J. Mason, where he lived, and died in 1846. He (William Tunnell) reared a large family, our subject’s mother, Keziah, being the eldest. Her death occurred in 1866. Two sons and six daughters formed the family of William Yates Huff, our subject being the youngest son and fifth child. In 1876 our subject married Rachel A. Johnston, who was born and reared on the farm where they now reside, which contains 325 acres. Mr. Huff also owns another tract in the county. To the above marriage six children have been born, three now deceased.

       J. B. Jackson, a farmer, was born in Roane County, Tenn., in 1830. The grandfather left Virginia and became a permanent resident of Washington County, Tenn. Josiah J. Jackson, the father, was born in that county, Christmas day, 1800, and grew to manhood on the farm, living with his mother and step-father. He married Mary Browder, a native of North Carolina, who had come in childhood to Tennessee, where they located at the site of Lenoir’s, Loudon County. Josiah continued farming in Roane County after his marriage, then for seven years lived in Monroe County, and finally moved to Blount County, where he died January 17, 1877, and his wife November 5, 1886, at eighty-eight years of age. Our subject remained with his parents until thirty years old, and then married Sarah Keen, a native of Loudon, formerly a part of Blount County. He then followed farming, Their children were Susanna Frances (deceased), Adria R., Lee, William Keen and Jose H.

       Capt. James Lackey (deceased) was a prominent citizen of Roane (now Loudon) County, and was born in Virginia, from which State he came to Blount County when a young man, and afterward located where his parents died. He married Jane Matlock, also of Virginia. He served in the war of 1812, and for many years was deputy sheriff of Roane County. He died in 1875, in his eighty-nine year. His widow still resides on the old farm. Of five sons and one daughter reared to maturity, three sons are still living: Samuel, Jackson, and James. One son, William, was captain of the Nineteenth Tennessee (Confederate), and fell at Chickamauga. Samuel was on post duty in the same regiment until the close of the war; and Jackson served as private throughout the war. James enlisted, but was discharged on account of disabilities. Capt. James Lackey was an active Whig prior to the war. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and became wealthy before his death.

       B. B. Lenoir, M. D., of Lenoir’s Station, was born March 5, 1821, in his present locality. He graduated as B. A. from East Tennessee University (now the University of Tennessee) in 1842. He took a course of medical lectures at Charleston, S. C., and completed his course at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he graduated in 1846. He has since practiced medicine in his present location, and with eminent success. November 27, 1855 he married Henrietta R., daughter of Dr. J. G. M. Ramsey, author of the “Annals of Tennessee.” Their children were James R. (deceased), William B., Charles B. (deceased) and Henry R. She died May 25, 1864. Mary 14, 1872, he married Margaret V., daughter of John Siler, of Macon County, N. C. Their children were an, infant daughter (deceased), John S., Mary E., Benjamin B., Louisa C. and Mira F. Our subject is the tenth of twelve children of William B. and Elizabeth (Avery) Lenoir, natives of Wilkes and Burke Counties, N. C. In 1810, after their marriage, the parents moved to the present location of Lenoir’s Station. William, the grandfather, was born in Brunswick County, Va., and when a child went to North Carolina. He was in several expeditions against the Indians. He was first lieutenant under Col. Cleveland, and volunteered as a private in a forced march to overtake Ferguson at King’s Mountain. After the Revolution he was a general of militia, and by the first convention which passed the constitution of North Carolina, he was appointed justice of the peace, and also by the first General Assembly convened under that constitution. He served many years in both branches of the Legislature, being president of the Senate during his last term. He was clerk of the county court two years, and the first president of the trustees of the University of North Carolina. William B., the father , was a justice of the peace for several years, and farmer. In 1877 the Lenoir Manufacturing Company was chartered by the Legislature of Tennessee. The company owns 3,000 acres of land, of which about 1,000 are in cultivation; a flouring-mill of 150 barrels capacity, using the roller process; a cotton factory, making cotton yarns and batting, and a large general store. Dr. Lenoir is president of the company, etc.

       Thomas Jefferson Mason, an old pioneer citizen of Loudon, was born in Roane County, December 1, 1806. Daniel Mason, the father, came to a fort within the present limits of Roane County when a lad, from the Potomac River, in either Virginia or Maryland. He became the second husband of Mary GillardneeBrashear. They followed agricultural pursuits within the present limits of Roane County till their death. He was in the war of 1812, and died in 1840. His first wife, the mother of our subject, died in 1819, and our subject’s father, afterward married Patsey Hicks, who outlived him, and was the mother of ten children. Our subject is the only survivor of a family of six children, he being the youngest of three sons. The immediate subject of this sketch remained at home till about eighteen years of age, then began flat-boating on the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers, which he continued for twenty-five years, part of the time for himself and part as a hired hand of other parties. During this time he spent twenty months in the United States service as second-lieutenant, assisting in the removal of the Cherokee Indians. In 1845 he married Eliza S. Kerr, a native of Sullivan County, and after quitting the river trade, in 1851, purchased and located, in 1852, upon the farm where he has since resided. He was elected to the Legislature in 1865, serving until 1869, being in the session at the time of President Lincoln’s assassination. In 1876 he was elected Loudon County trustee, and served about a year and then resigned. He received a commission from Gov. Hawkins to serve as railroad tax assessor for the eastern division of Tennessee, serving in that capacity two years. Mrs. Mason is a lady ten years younger than our subject, and has become the mother of three sons and four daughters -- one son and three daughters still living. Thomas Jefferson, the surviving son, graduated at the University of Tennessee, (he was born in August, 1863) Mary, the eldest surviving daughter, is a graduate of the Athens University (Grant Memorial University), and is now teaching in Chattanooga. Elizabeth Eliza, second surviving daughter, is a graduate of Mary Sharp’s College at Winchester, Tenn., and is the wife of E. P. McQueen, a prominent attorney of Loudon. Martha Ellen, the youngest surviving daughter, is also a graduate of Mary Sharp’s College. Mr. Mason and family are members of church, part belonging to the Cumberland Presbyterian, and part to the Methodist Church.

       John W. Robinson, a prominent citizen of Loudon County, was born in the same locality, January 17, 1829, and is a son of Thomas Robinson, born near the James River, Virginia, May 10, 1789, of Irish stock. He moved to Hawkins County, Tenn., about the time of the war of 1812, in which he participated. Here he married Sarah King, July 28, 1811, and with his brothers, John W. and James, located in the vicinity where Loudon now stands, about 1822, there following agricultural pursuits until his death, July 22, 1864. His wife was a native of Kentucky, born December 28, 1788, and a daughter of Robert King, an officer of the United States service, who built the block house near where Kingston now stands. Her death occurred on May 7, 1865. Three sons and six daughters constitute the family of Thomas Robinson, namely: James R., who married a Miss Sarah Smith, and now resides in Loudon County; Fanny, who married Samuel Lane, and now resides in Missouri; Elizabeth (deceased in 1858); Susan, afterward Mrs. Mayo, and after her husband’s death, became Mrs. Lewis, but deceased in 1886; Nancy, (deceased in 1865), wife of James C. Haskins; Mary, now Mrs. E. D. Robinson, of Loudon County; Minerva, now Mrs. W. Robinson, of Monroe County; John W., our subject, and Robert King (deceased in 1879), he served three years in the Rebellion, in the First Tennessee Regiment, United States army. John W., is a millwright and carpenter, and has always lived in the vicinity of Loudon. He also owns a farm on the Tennessee River, and one of the best custom flouring mills in the county. In 1853 he married Mary M. Smith, a native of Roane County, born in 1834, and a sister of the wife of James R. They have seven sons and three daughters. Our subject is a school commissioner, and after six years service as justice, in Roane County, was appointed by the Legislature one of the commissioners to lay out and organize the county of Loudon. The county was first named Christianna. He has served in the same capacity, in this county, twelve years. He is a Mason. The family are members of the church.

       Judge S. A. Rodgers, of the circuit court, was born March 5, 1830, in Knox County, Tenn. Joseph R., the grandfather, was born in Ireland, and, before the Revolution, came in his youth to America, and afterward located in Knox County, Tenn. He married Elizabeth Donaldson, a native of Jefferson County, and they spent their lives in Knox County. She was a native of Scotland. The father, William, spent his whole life in Knox County, and died January 29, 1866, aged about seventy-two years. He was a farmer and lumber dealer. His wife, Mahala (Low), a native of Knox County, died January 8, 1873, aged seventy-four. She was of Dutch-English ancestry, and was reared near a fort at Low’s Ferry, Knox County. Our subject, the sixth of six sons and one daughter, a brother only being deceased, was reared on a farm in Knox County, and received free school advantages, until eighteen years of age, then, after, three years in Ewing and Jefferson College, Blount County, he went to California about the winter of 1851-52, and for two years engaged in mining, to secure funds to complete his education. He then returned to Knox County, and remained on the farm, teaching and studying, until 1855, when he entered the Cumberland University, remaining until 1858, when he graduated. He then remained at home studying law, under Judge Baxter and Hon. O. P. Temple, of Knoxville, and was admitted November 12, 1859, his papers being signed by Judges Brown and Van Dyke. He remained in Knoxville as a partner of O. P. Temple, till the court was closed by war. He took no part in the struggles of the times. He afterward practiced with Judge Temple, in Knoxville, until 1867, then went to California, an account of his wife’s health; July 4, 1869, he returned and located at Loudon, in the practice of law, where he has since resided. In 1878 he was elected circuit judge, and re-elected in August, 1886. May 10, 1863, he married Sarah E. Rhea, a native of Roane County, and of a Scotch family that settled in Sullivan County. The Rhea family are all earnest Presbyterians. Their two sons and five daughters are all living. Our subject has three brothers residing in California, and one in Knox County. The deceased brother died in Mexico. The sister is the wife of S. L. Russell, of Concord. The Judge is a self-made man in every respect, and received a classical education, where literary acquisitions were considered secondary objects in life.

       A. W. Ward, of Loudon, Tenn., is engaged in the nursery and machine business. The parents, William Ward and Lucinda (Custead) Ward, are natives of Canada. After their marriage, in 1838, they moved, in 1866, to Delaware, and in a short time came to Cumberland County, Tenn. In 1869 they moved to Fremont County, Iowa, where they now reside as farmers. The father, while in Canada, was interested in large flouring mill and farming interests near Toronto; he was also a colonel of militia for many years. The Ward family were originally from Ireland, the grandfather coming to Canada about 1817, and the father being born on the ship en route. The Custeads originally came from England, and the maternal grandfather was in the nursery business on the present site of Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, about 1838 to 1860, where both died. A brother of the maternal grandmother was the father of the famous “Buffalo Bill” (William Cody). Our subject, the eldest of nine sons and three daughters, of whom six of the former and the three latter are living, was born in 1844 and remained at home until maturity. From 1867 he was six years in Monroe County, Tenn., engaged in the nursery business -- the Tennessee Nurseries. Since then he has been in the same business in Loudon County. He has about forty acres in general nursery stock, and usually has from two or three to a dozen salesmen on the road, selling in Tennessee and the Southern States. In 1871 he married Anna Pearce, a native of Pennsylvania, and reared in Monroe County. They are Presbyterians. Our subject is a Mason.

       J. H. Williams, a farmer, was born June 27, 1836, on his present farm. He is the eldest of three children of Samuel C. and Emily (Hubble) Williams, both born and reared in Smyth County, VA., and married in 1835, but very soon after were residents of Blount (now Loudon) County, Tenn., where the father died April 19, 1868. He was elected justice in 1865 and held the office until his death. He was the second of ten children of Richard Williams, whose wife’s maiden name was Cole. Richard was born and reared in eastern Virginia, and after his marriage, about 1780, moved to Withnoir, W. Va. The ancestry is Welsh-English. An uncle, James Sampson, and an aunt, Mrs. Mary Keene, came to Blount County where they died. An aunt, Mrs. Urie Cress, moved to Johnson County, and there died. Two other aunts, Sallie and Mrs. Shupe, are still living in West Virginia. The Williams were all Baptists, and Samuel C. in politics was a Democrat, and a highly respected man. The mother died June 21, 1840, aged about twenty-four years. About 1855 the father married Martha Martin, who died in February, 1879. Our subject was thrown upon his own resources when about twenty years old, with but little education. He received $3,000 from his father, but now owns about 1,100 acres, most of which is under cultivation. October 18, 1886, he married Nancy J., daughter of William H. and Mary Smith, the former of Irish stock, and the latter of English-Irish origin. Our subject’s two children, Viola H. and Mary B., are both deceased. He and his wife are members of the Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterian churches, respectively. He is a Republican and first voted for Breckinridge. For four years after he was thrown upon his own resources he attended and taught school and traveled. He farmed then until he enlisted in the Thirteenth Tennessee Cavalry (Federal), and was discharged in January 1865, on account of disabilities. Before enlistment he was a recruiting officer, and was elected first lieutenant and regimental commissary, afterward assistant commissary. Two years after the war he engaged in merchandising and farming, and two years still later changed to saw-milling with farming, following that until 1878, when he became trustee of Loudon County, serving eight years, and then refusing re-nomination. Besides his fine farm, he has paid and lost as security about $8,000. He was indorsed by his county for the State Senate just after his trusteeship expired. Lilburn R., a brother, was captured at Resaca, and died in Andersonville prison, and another brother, Levi J., is a farmer in this county. Loss and danger did not prevent our subject from taking a firm stand during the late war. He is a man of ability, and highly respected.

       J. L. Willson, farmer and stock dealer, was born in 1837, in McMinn County, Tenn. From his childhood until 1866, the family lived in Monroe County. In September they moved to where he has since resided. He began life for himself at eighteen years of age with a good, common-school education, and with the exception of one year of very successful merchandising during the war, he has followed agricultural pursuits, in both of which capacities he has proved himself remarkably successful. He now owns 1,063 acres of fine land, well improved and stocked, located on the Pond Creek Road, ten miles from Loudon. He is the third of ten children of W. P. and Julia (Henry) Willson, very successful farmers. In 1862 our subject married Mary J., a daughter of Washington and Sallie (Pursley) Ballard. Their children were Sallie B., Julia, Willie, Hattie, Jennie, Ida (deceased), Maud, James L. (deceased), Callie and Frank (deceased). The mother died April 3, 1886, since which time the daughter have had charge. Our subject is a Master Mason, and in politics he is a Democrat. On his farm are some of the finest deposits of marble, and also of lead ore. He is a most successful man, and a highly respected citizen.


Goodspeed’s Loudon County History Page

Goodspeed’s Table of Contents Page

Loudon County TNGenWeb Genealogy Home Page

This page last updated on Wednesday, August 12, 2015