TNGenWeb Project
The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887


Biographical Sketches, DeKalb County
Part I

(Also See, Part II, DeKalb County Biographical Sketches)

        Hon. James M. Allen, one of the prominent citizens of the county, was born September 25, 1822, at Allen’s Ferry on Caney Fork, seven miles from Smithville, the county seat of Dekalb County, Tenn. He is the youngest of eleven children born to Jesse and Nancy (Walker) Allen, both of whom were natives of Virginia. The father settled in what is now Dekalb County in 1801, being one of the oldest settlers. He died in 1857, and the mother in 1840. Both were members of the Baptist Church. Our subject was reared on the farm and became interested in agriculture. His education was acquired in the country schools and at the Fulton Academy in Smithville, his present home. He studied law, and in 1876 was licensed to practice. His public services began as a constable in the Ninth District of his native county, which position he held for twelve years. He was justice of the peace for twenty-two years, was engaged in the mercantile business in Smithville for five years, and also served as deputy sheriff. In 1884 he was elected to the State Legislature. The term was so satisfactory to his constituents that he was re-elected in 1886. October 22, 1846, he wedded Elizabeth M., daughter of Spencer and Araminta (Eddings) Talley, of Statesville, Wilson Co., Tenn., who was born January 2, 1830. To this union ten children were born, two of whom died in infancy. The others: Emma (born in August, 1850, Married A. T. Phillips, and died in April, 1878), Ada (born in 1853, married J. A. Marks, and died in August, 1878), Nancy W. (born in 1856, Married W. D. Carnes, and now resides in Texas), Elizabeth J. (born in 1858, is the Wife of W. B. Carnes, a resident of Trousdale County, Tenn.), James M. (born in 1862 and died in 1881), Jesse T. (born in 1865), William G. (born in 1868), John S. (born in 1872). The mother was a consistent member of the Christian Church, and died in September, 1886. Our subject is also connected with the same church, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is a Democrat, and one of the county’s most enterprising and worthy citizens.

       Alvin Avant, Attorney at Law, of Smithville, was born in Dekalb County in 1856, a son of William C. and Nancy (Williams) Avant. The father is of French descent, Born in 1822 in Dekalb County. His father, Benjamin Avant, was a native of Virginia, who immigrated to Dekalb County at an early date. William C. married and settled in the Twelfth District of his native county, where he is a prosperous and respected farmer and possessor of 300 acres of valuable land. His wife was also born in Dekalb County, of English descent. She is now sixty-two years of age. Of their eleven children, Alvin is the fifth. His early education was received at Fulton Academy in Smithville. At the age of eighteen he commenced the study of medicine under the care of Dr. J. S. Harrison. In 1873 he entered the medical department of the university at Louisville, Ky., graduating in March of the next year as M. D. For one year he practiced in Smithville, at the expiration of which time he abandoned medicine and took up the study of law. His preceptor was M. D. Smallman, now judge of the Sixth Circuit of Tennessee. Mr. Avant was admitted to the bar in 1879. The same year he was elected county attorney, serving two years. January, 1881, he became superintendent of public instruction, holding the office four years, declining another re-election. Since that time he has given his attention to his profession. In 1881 he entered into partnership with Hon. B. M. Webb and Judge J. S. Gribble, the latter withdrawing in 1883, The firm being known as Webb & Avant. Our subject is a talented, able lawyer, enjoying a good practice. He is a gentleman in the full sense of the word, and highly esteemed by a large circle of friends. He is a member of the Christian Church, and a Democrat. His parents belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

       J. M. Baker, a well known farmer of the Fourteenth District, was born March 31, 1830, in White County, Tenn. His parents were William H. and Lucinda (Erwin) Baker. The father was born about 1800 in Virginia, of English descent, a son of James and Mary (Holmes) Baker. The father was a brave soldier in the war of 1812. He died at Norfolk. His widow immigrated to Tennessee with her children, five daughters and one son. They located in White County, where she died in 1856. William H. died November 14, 1872. His wife was of Irish origin, a daughter of William and Jane (Dildine) Erwin. His Maternal grandfather held a prominent position in the Revolutionary war. The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm, and educated at the Union Institute, Dekalb County, in which county he engaged in farming when about twenty-three years of age. Shortly afterward he moved to White County, where, about 1870, he was elected magistrate, and served two terms. In 1883 he returned to Dekalb County, and in 1885 was elected magistrate. He was married, in March, 1854, to Barbary, daughter of William and Zelpha Robinson. This Union resulted in the birth of Mary Viola (the widow of S. Simrell),Elizabeth C., William R., Susan M. (the wife of M. Davis), James M., Sarah Lena, Emma Florence, Barbary L. and Charles R. Mr. Baker is a worthy citizen and self-made man. He has accumulated his possessions by economy and judicious management. He has been an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church since 1883. He is a member of the Masonic order and K. of H., and a stanch Democrat.

       Col. J. H. Blackburn, attorney at law and solicitor of claims, was born in 1842 near Liberty, Tenn. He is the third of eight living children of William and Ann (Hayes) Blackburn, the former born in 1808 in South Carolina, and the latter in 1820 in Wilson County, Tenn. The father, when a during man, located near the present college home, Wilson County, where he afterward married. In 1846 he came to Liberty, and continued farming on his farm lately bought, and since 1885 he has lived in Dowelltown, in feeble age. For fourteen years before the war he was constable at Liberty and mail contractor for six years. The mother is also living. Our subject was educated at Liberty, and in 1861 enlisted in the Federal Army, Company A, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, and, though but eighteen, immediately elected captain. In November, 1864, he resigned his captaincy, and by order of Gov. Johnson raised a regiment at Liberty, known as the Fourth Tennessee Mounted Infantry, and served as colonel of the same until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged in August, 1865. He was in several battles, the most important of which were Nashville, Chattanooga, Snow Hill and Milton, where he defeated Morgan. He also cleared of guerrillas the counties of White, Putnam, Dekalb and Jackson by capturing Camp Ferguson, after which even rebel sympathizers felt more secure. He is said to have been in 217 engagements, in all of which he was successful. He was wounded at Liberty in a charge by a rifle ball in the left shoulder, and ruptured at Big Harbor. From the former effects he receives $10 a month pension. Since the war he has practiced some at Dowelltown, and now owns 500 acres of land in Dekalb County, and a house and lot at Dowelltown, and lost $12,000 in real estate on securities. In 1861 he married Jennie, daughter of Samuel and Cynthia (David) Barger, and born in 1844 in Dekalb County. Their two children are Caledonia (wife of R. Griffith) and Ulysses (a civil officer at Dowelltown). He is a Republican, and is adjutant of the G. A. R. at Dowelltown. His children are both members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he and wife are professors though members of no church.

       Prof. J. L. Boon was born two and a half miles north of Alexandria, in Smithville County, in 1855. He is the fifth of nine children of Jas. N. and Sarah (Barry) Boon. The father was of English descent, one of the same family as the Kentucky pioneer, Daniel Boone. Jas. N. was born in Wilson County in 1817. He was raised and educated mostly in Smith County. By close application to study, he was enabled to enter the teacher’s profession, which he followed in connection with farming. He was one of the most efficient and successful educators of that day. He married about his twenty-seventh year. The latter portion of his life was entirely devoted to agricultural pursuits. He accumulated considerable property and means, although he began a poor man. He died in 1886. His wife was born in Smith County about 1826. Both were consistent and esteemed members of the Christian Church. Five of the children are living, all members of the same church, one of them a minister in the Christian Church at Joplin, Mo. Prof. James L. received his early education at Alexandria. After teaching several years, attended two years at the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, graduating in 1879, in the literary and business courses. In 1880 he began teaching at Alexandria, where he has since been. He is an intelligent, cultivated and thorough instructor, and is universally popular with both patrons and pupils. May 29, 1885, He married Miss Mattie, daughter of Lun and Jales Wood, who was born in 1865, and educated at Alexandria, completing a musical course at Cincinnati, and now teaches music in the Masonic Normal School. The Professor is a Democrat. He and his wife are active and influential members of the Christian Church.

       Hon. J. W. Botts, Attorney at law, is the son of Aron and Sarah (English) Botts, and born on Smith Fork, Dekalb County, in 1830, one of eight children, five of whom are living. The father, of English ancestry, was born in North Carolina, and died in 1860 about sixty years of age. Left an orphan when a child, he was reared and married in his native State, and soon after removed to Kingston, Tenn., and afterward to Dekalb County, as it is known know. He settled at the mouth of Helton Creek where he resumed his business of hatter, until about 1831, since when he lived in Alexandria until his death. He was a tax collector one term and twice defeated as candidate for sheriff by only five and seven votes respectively. The mother, a native of North Carolina, died in Nashville about 1865. Our subject was educated at Alexandria, and at Gainesboro under Hon. William DeWitt, now of Chattanooga. In August, 1850, he married Cynthia, daughter of Dr. Thomas J. and Nancy Sneed, of Alexandria, where Mrs. Botts was born. Seven of their thirteen children are living: Robert A., undertaker at Alexandria; Lizzie, wife of Andrew Kersey; Sarah, wife of John Argo(deceased), of Nashville; John E., with the St. Louis Railway; Norman and Earnest, both at Dixon Springs, and Charley. Mrs. Botts died in August, 1883. February 23, 1884, he married Nora, Daughter of Louis W. and Sarah Manning, of Smith County. They have one child, Lena. A carpenter and cabinetmaker during his earlier years, our subject was for the fifteen years preceding the war, magistrate and mayor of Alexandria.

       W. G. Bratten, Farmer, was born in 1823, in Smith County (now Dekalb), the oldest of two sons of Henry and Nancy (Givan) Bratton, The former of Irish origin, born in Maryland about 1798, and the latter of Scotch origin, born in the same State about the same year. The mother’s parents came when she was a year old to Nashville by boat after reaching the Ohio River, and where three weeks in cutting a road to Liberty, which was named by her father in honor of their old home in Maryland, as he was something of a leader in the forty families which came there. The father’s people were among the number, and about 1820 they were married, and in 1823 the father died. Joel Bratton, an ancestor, was one of the Mayflower Pilgrims. The mother afterward married Osburn Munlacks. Their three children were Mary, Sarah and Joseph. She died about 1831 near Liberty. Our subject, reared by his uncle, and with little education, married when twenty-two, Caroline, daughter of James and Lucretia Groom, of North Carolina, and began farming in Cannon County. After eight years he sold and bought his present farm near Liberty. Mrs. Bratton was born in 1826 on our subject’s present farm and died in 1859. But one of their eight children is living, Thomas G., our subject married Martha, daughter of James and Nance (Branch) Young, in Wilson County, where she was born in 1832. Their four children are Annie, Nettie, Herschal A., (who has considerable artistic genius), Geneva and Minnie. Beginning life with but a horse, saddle and bridle, our subject now owns a fine residence on his two equally fine farms of 300 acres, and is in vigorous life even at sixty-four years of age. Formerly a Whig he is now a Democrat; has been a Mason since twenty-two years of age. His whole family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

       N. M. Brown, of Brown & Donnell, Millers, was born in Dekalb County in 1856, the youngest son of six children of Isaiah and Rachel A. (Wood) Brown, both natives of Virginia. The father, of Dutch origin, was born in 1818 and died in 1885. He was the son of John brown, a tanner. Isaiah was reared and married in his native State, and in 1854 removed to Dekalb County, Tenn., Where he worked at his trade as cooper. The mother, born in 1823, is still living with our subject and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject was educated at Alexandria, and at the early age of thirteen began life as an engineer, to which he has since devoted most of his time. He has had a varied practice under different persons and is a skillful engineer. During 1881 he was a merchant, but since then he has been in charge of the Alexandria mills, in which he has an interest and which are doing a profitable business. He and his brother are also owners of a saw mill in Warren County. June 18, 1885, he was married to Julia, a daughter of John and Julia Rollings, of Alexandria, where Mrs. Brown was born in 1861. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have one child, Maud. Mr. Brown is a Republican, casting his first vote for Gen. Garfield.
        J. L. Colvert, retired merchant, was born in 1828 in Culpeper County, Va., the son of William I. and Harriett (Weedon) Colvert. The father, born in the same county in 1791, was a farmer and a soldier in the war of 1812, on duty in his native State. In 1828 he came to Warren County, Tenn., Thence to Alabama for a few years, and about 1840 returned to Cannon County, Tenn. He finally settled in Dekalb County in 1848 and bought a home of 150 acres, where he lived the greater part of his life. He died in Nashville in 1859. The mother, born in 1801 in Fairfax County, Va., is still living, receiving a pension for her husband’s services in 1812. Our subject, one of seven children, came to Tennessee when an infant, and was reared and educated in Cannon County. At the age of sixteen he served a year’s apprenticeship in a tannery, then farmed a year, and in 1848 sunk a tannery in Dekalb County with his brother as partner. In April, 1846, he Married Johanna Matthews, born in Cannon County in 1830. Their two children are Mary E., wife of S. D. Blankenship, and Harriett. In 1852 he engaged in farming and merchandising besides tanning. In 1854 he sold his tanyard and store and established a store in Smith County. After six months here he bought 500 acres in District No. 14 and farmed for three years. He then moved to Nashville, where he ran a lumber and woodyard and as contractor built Carroll and Wharf Avenues, rebuilt Market Front and built a sewer from the river to the Maxwell House. He also owned a third interest in a wholesale and retail grocery on Market Street. In 1862 he returned to Dekalb County and in 1864 settled in Smithville, where the next year he began merchandising at which he was engaged until January, 1886. He then sold to his son-in-law, Blankenship. Mrs. Colvert died in 1855, and in Janurary 1858, he married Martha M. Tysee, born in Dekalb County in 1839. Mr. Colvert is the oldest continuous merchant in Smithville business, he was in the grocery business in Nashville. In politics he is a Democrat, first voting for Fillmore. He is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, while his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.

       J. R. Corley, a well known farmer and stock raiser of the Fourth District, was born in Dekalb County in 1848. He is one of seven children of John and Elizabeth (Upton) Corley. The father was born in Virginia in 1802, and immigrated to Dekalb County when a young man. He was a farmer. His death occurred in 1875. His wife was born in Smith County in 1816 and died in 1880. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Dekalb and white Counties, and attended the Cumberland Institute. At the age of nineteen he began clerking in the dry goods store at Temperance Hall, where he remained five months. The next four years were spent in Putnam County in same business. He then returned to his native county and gave his attention to farming. He has been very successful, and owns 185 acres of highly cultivated and improved land. He is a stanch Democrat; cast his first presidential vote for Horace Greeley. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and respected, worthy citizen. In 1869 he married Sarah F., Daughter of James A. and Eliza Scruggs. Mrs Corley was born in Smith County in 1846. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To their union have been born George S., James R. (deceased), Carrie L., William M., and John R.

       Maj. W. G. Crowley, An ex-judge and attorney at law of Smithville, was born in Smith (now Dekalb) County in 1830. His parents, John J. and Elizabeth Crowley, were both natives of Virginia. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent, a farmer by occupation. He married in his native State and in 1830 came to Tennessee by way of the Cumberland River. He died in Smith County in May of the same year, when but twenty-two years of age. His wife was born in 1810. Her second marriage was with Mr. Peter Adams,, who is also dead. Mrs. Adamsdied in 1866. Our subject was the only child, and but one month old when his father died. When a mere lad he was ambitious to gain information, as his step-father was poor, and there being but little benefit derived from public schools, his advantages were indeed limited. He labored and saved a few dollars which enabled him to enter school. At the age of sixteen he began teaching in the neighborhood. He attended school at Alexandria as well as other schools at different places, and in this way he was in debt $500 and taught school and paid it. In 1850 he commenced reading law under guidance of Col. S. H. Colms of Smithville. In March, 1851, he was admitted to the bar, and immediately entered the profession, buying his law books on a year’s credit. He first formed a partnership with Samuel Turney in Dekalb County business, and at the same time a partnership with Col. S. H. Colms in the Cannon County practice. He soon had a lucrative practice. July 4, 1853, he married Rebecca, daughter of Martin and Polly Foutch, who was born in 1837 in Dekalb County. Their union resulted in the birth of ten children: Mary E., wife of Judge W. W. Wade; Martha E.; Martin A.,who is clerk and master of the chancery court of Dekalb County; John B., a farmer and miller; Jessie Frances, Wife of John B. Tubb, a lawyer of Smithville; William L., a farmer; Kate, wife of W. B. Foster, a merchant of Smithville; Pleasant C.; Prudence and Leslie(deceased). In June, 1861, Mr. Crowley enlisted in the Twenty-third Tennessee Infantry (Confederate Army), and at the organization of the regiment he was appointed Sergeant major. He was in the battle of Shiloh, which he was severely wounded April 6, 1862, by a canister-shot, just above the left knee. He was taken to Corinth and afterward to Jackson, Miss., in a helpless condition. September 7, 1862, he reached home, greatly to the surprise of his family, who believed him to have been killed at Shilo. In 1863 he moved to the western portion of Dekalb County and taught a subscription school until hostilities ceased. In 1866 he returned to Smithville and resumed his practice in partnership with Col. John H. Savage, afterward with Joseph Clark and M. D. Smallman, now circuit judge. In 1872 our subject was elected chancellor of the Fifth Division of Tennessee, Col. Colms being one of his competitors. In 1878 he was re-elected. Judge Crowley is now engaged in the law practice and has many friends. He is also one of the county’s eldest native citizens. He has been unusually prosperous in life, considering his opportunities and will do well in his profession. His residence is a half mile east of Smithville on the Sligo Ferry Turnpike. He has been a member of the Christian church since 1860. Pervious to the war he was a Whig, voting the first time for Fillmore in 1852. He is now a Democrat.

       Dr. Thos. P. Davis, one of Alexandria’s most respected citizens, was born in Smith County, August 31, 1858. He is the youngest of ten children of Benjamin and Kittie (Whorley) Davis. The father was born in North Carolina about 1817, and moved to Tennessee when a young man; afterward married and settled in Smith County. He was one of the most substantial, enterprising and industrious farmers in the section. His death occurred about the close of the late war. His wife was a native of virginia and came to Tennessee with her parents; she died when the Doctor was an infant. Of her children eight are living. Her mother lived to the unusual age of one hundred and two. Her father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Mr. and Mrs. Davis were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject was raised by the elder members of the family, receiving his literary education at the country schools and Alexandria. In 1876 and 1877 he read medicine with Dr. E. Tubb, and entered the medical department of the Vanderbilt University, graduating in 1879. He immediately returned to Alexandria and began to practice. He has received an extensive and liberal patronage, and is now recognized as one of the leading physicians of the county.

       D. W. Dinges, a notary public, and a leading business man of Alexandria, was born in 1836, in Warren County, Va., the youngest of five children of Wm. M. and Clara P. E. (Lincoln) Dinges, both natives of Virginia. The father was born about 1810, of Scotch- Dutch descent, a son of Mortica Dinges. He was a blacksmith, and spent his entire life in his native State, where he died in 1837. His wife was born about 1814, and is living in White County. She moved to Tennessee soon after her husband’s death. She has been three times married; is a consistent member of the Christian Church. Our subject received rather limited educational advantages at Sparta. He taught school about three years. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Sixteenth Tennessee Infantry, serving principally in Tennessee, West Virginia and South Carolina. In 1862 he took part in the battle of Perryville, and was captured near Barbersville, Ky.; in a few hours was paroled, returned home and about three months later joined the Eighth Tennessee Cavalry under Gen. Dibrell. He participated in the battle at Sparta, was again captured and paroled, and returned home after serving his country gallantly, for three and a half years. In 1865 he moved to Alexandria and began merchandising, in partnership with W. H. Lincoln, the firm being known as Dinges & Lincoln. They did a flourishing business. In 1872 he purchased Mr. Lincoln’s interest, and in 1881 R. B. Floy became a partner. They discontinued their business about three years later. In 1885 he established the firm of D. W. Dinges & Co., which has an extensive trade. It is one of the best general merchandise houses in this place, carrying a stock valued at about $5,000. During his commercial career he sold as high as $40,000 worth of goods in a year. In 1883 he erected the first livery stable in the town; it is large, well stocked and prosperous. He began life with little or no capital, but by industry and good management has accumulated a considerable amount of this world’s goods, being one of the wealthiest citizens of the county. He owns 450 acres besides other valuable property. He is a firm Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for John C. Breckinridge. In 1884 he represented the Fourth District, in the Democratic Convention at Chicago. He is one of the directors of the Bon-Air Coal, Lumber & Land Company; was formerly a member of the I. O. O. F. and is a strong advocate of general education. March, 1873, he married Miss Norah, daughter of John and Bettie Crutchfield, formerly of Wilson County. Mrs. Dinges is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

       James A. Donnell,United States commissioner of internal revenue for the middle district of Tennessee, and an influential citizen of Alexandria, was born August 13, 1834, in Wilson County. He is the eldest of two children of Allan and Casandria H. (Britton) Donnell. The father was a native of Gifford County, N. C., born in 1806, of Irish ancestry, a son of Adlia Donnell, a native of North Carolina, whose father came from Ireland. Allan came to Tennessee about 1832, and a year later married and located in Lebanon, where for some time he taught school, afterward engaging in the mercantile business at the same place, then at Center Hill and finally at Commerce, where he died in 1838. He was a man of ability and influence, successful in all his undertakings. His wife was a daughter of Lanie Britton, a native of East Tennessee, and an early settler of Smith County. Mrs. Donnell was born in 1813 and died in 1876. Both were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, highly respected by the entire community. The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools in Wilson County. At the age of twenty he went to Missouri, where for two years he engaged in farming and stock raising. He returned to Wilson County. At the outbreak of the civil war, he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Tennessee Infantry, was in Virginia and all the great battles. He was captured at Gettysburg, Penn., July, 1863, and taken to Baltimore, then to Point Lookout. After seven months’ imprisonment he was exchanged and joined the army in the Southwest. In the spring of 1864 he was sent to Tennessee to look after some absentees of the original command; he was again captured and took the oath of allegiance. In February, 1866, he married Mrs. Nannie M. Ward, a native of Alabama, by whom he had one child, Robert G. Mrs. Donnell died in 1867. The same year he wedded Miss M. E., daughter of William and Mary Swann, who was born in Wilson County in 1844. Four children were born to this union: Jane Annette, Minnie C., Mary E. and Ann Lou. After living in Smith County Mr. Connell returned to Wilson County in 1872, and resumed his farming. In 1878 he removed to Alexandria and purchased a half interest in flouring-mills, now owned by Brown & Donnell, and since that time has been engaged in his present business. For one year he served as constable of the Twelfth District of Wilson County, and in October, 1886, was appointed by Judge Howell E. Jackson to his present office. He is a strong advocate of general education, and is trustee of the Masonic Normal College. Previous to the war he was a Whig, casting his first presidential vote for Fillmore, in 1856. He is now of the Democrat party. For nearly twenty years he has been a Mason. He and his wife are esteemed and earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
        E. J. Evans, commercial traveler for Weel, Connell & Riddle, dry goods, shoes, clothing, etc., Nashville, was born in 1850 in the District of Columbia, and now resident of Smithville. He is the son of John G. and Lucinda (Vick) Evans. The father, born in 1819, in Dekalb County, Tenn., is the son of Joseph Evans, a native of Maryland, who, when a boy, came to Tennessee and settled where Liberty, Dekalb County, is located, among the very earliest white settlers. John G. had learned the carpenter trade under his father, and after his marriage in 1844, he settled in Liberty. In 1861 he moved to Dry Creek, and in 1881 to Smithville, where he was elected to his present position of register in 1866. His wife, born in 1822, in Dekalb County, is still living. Our subject, educated in Liberty, began reading law in 1872 under Hon. J. B. Robinson, and was admitted in 1873. The following year he was elected county clerk of Dekalb County, and served one term. In 1879 he established a dry goods store in Smithville, and after two years sold out and became traveling salesman for Settle & Kinnard, and two years later for Pigg, Manier & Co., then twelve months after for Tracy & Co., with whom he remained until he was employed by his present firm. In August, 1875, he married Virginia, daughter of Watson and Sarah webb, and born in Warren County. Their children are Sherrell J., Herschel, and Sarah. Mr. Evans has two residences, three store buildings and a livery stable in Smithville. He is a fine salesman and business man. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the K. of H. order. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church.

       Capt. J. T. Exum, merchant, was born December 4, 1842, in Smith County, Tenn. He is the son of Kinchen D. and Elizabeth (Allen) Exum, the former born in 1821, in Smith County, and the latter in 1821, in Wilson County. His grandfather, William a native of North Carolina, was one of the earliest pioneers of Smith County, where he died. Reared on a farm, our subject was educated at Cumberland Institute, in White County, and soon enlisted in the Federal Army as private, then corporal, then second lieutenant and recruiting officer for the Fifth Tennessee Volunteer Cavalry. He was soon promoted to first lieutenant, and in 1862 was made captain at Nashville. In March, 1865, he resigned his commission and for about two years was engaged in merchandising at Laurell Hill, Tenn. Then after about seven years in Buffalo Valley, Putnam County, in the same business, he was made United States storekeeper and gauger for the Fifth Internal Revenue District. In 1881 he was deputy United States marshal, under Marshal Tillman, and a year later was appointed United States commissioner for the middle district of Tennessee, but resigned in 1883. For four years previous to 1884 he was chairman of the Republican Executive Committee of the Fourth congressional District. After a year’s travel in the West he returned to Dekalb in 1886 and engaged in merchandising for a short time. In 1868 he married M. S. Maddox,who died in 1876, in which year their two children, James R. and John D. died also. In 1882 he married Alice McDonald, who lived but about seven months after. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Exum is a Republican and a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge.

       T. W. Fitts, a farmer and stock dealer of the Tenth District, was born March 4, 1832, in Smith County. He is the youngest of six children of Wootson and Tabitha (Winfrey) Fitts. The father was born in 1787, near Halifax, Va. He was lieutenant of a company in the war of 1812, was under command of Gen. Jackson at New Orleans; he came to Tennessee about 1822, and died near Eddyville, Ky., about 1850. The mother was born about 1787 near Petersburg, Va., and came to Tennessee after her marriage. Our subject had but limited educational advantages, but is a man of good practical understanding and business qualifications. In 1840 he married Miss Isabell Foster, who was born about 1812. She is still active and robust. To this union eight children were born of whom six are still living: Sanford(deceased); Jasper Newton; Durinda, now Mrs Taylor; Golden; Nancy, afterward Mrs Winfrey(deceased); Delia now Mrs. Williams; Sarah, now Mrs. Hayes, and Martin. Mr. Fitts and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The first year after marriage Mr. Fitts rented; he then bought an old Soldier’s right to 640 acres; the following year he purchased 200 more, and finally became owner of 1,300 acres of excellent land. Besides what he has given his family, he still has 1,000 acres, cultivated and improved, located in Cove Hollow, on the Smithville and Temperance Hall road, three miles east of the latter place. He has always been a successful farmer and stock raiser, and made money rapidly, but has had security debts to settle, amounting to about $10,000. He has traveled quite extensively through thirteen States of the Union. He met with a severe accident before the war, which prevented him from entering the service. While riding a race horse, the animal fell, dashing Mr. Fitts’ head against a rock. Thirteen pieces of bone were taken from his forehead by Dr. Gray of Nashville, who received $1,000 for the operation. Although Mr. Fitts is not a church member, no man in the community has contributed more liberally to religious institutions and charity. He built and donated on church, and has given two building sites for others. During the war he supported seven families besides his own. He lost considerable stock and $8,000 in Confederate money. He has owned some of the most famous horses inn the country. He raised “Dock Alvin,” “Tom Hal,” “Elizabeth Hill,” and partially raised “Queen Ariel.” He paid $1,000 for “Elizabeth Johnson” in Utah. When only two years old she won a famous race in Mississippi.

       Hon. J. J. Ford, attorney at law, was born in Dekalb (then Smith) County November 22, 1822. He is one of ten children of Daniel and Mary (Fite) Ford, the former of Irish origin. The father, born about 1794 in South Carolina, was the son of Daniel Ford, Sr., of Virginia, who became one of the earliest settlers of Tennessee, when Daniel, Jr., was but a small boy. He settled in Smith County near what is now Temperance Hall, where he remained until his death. With ordinary education in his youth, Daniel, Jr., married about 1818 and spent his life in Smith and Dekalb Counties. He was an able man and served as magistrate and constable several years. He died in 1864. The mother, a native of tennessee and of Dutch descent, died in 1836. She was a daughter of Rev. J. Fite, an early Tennessee settler from New Jersey, who spent the early years of his settlement in a cane tent on Smith Fork, and who with his brother cut a road through the cane to Nashville. He made some money by dealing in the skin and flesh of bears. He was a Baptist minister for nearly sixty years and a historic character of early Tennessee. With no educational advantages our subject began the blacksmith trade when fifteen years old, and, when of age, purchased the property of his overseer and continued until 1859, having in the meantime served as magistrate six years. He was elected to the memorable General Assembly of 1859-60, in which he so distinguished himself that Judge R. Caruthers and other able jurists persuaded him to enter his present profession, in which he has since so well succeeded. He is the oldest practitioner in Alexandria. He again represented Dekalb County and in 1877-78 Dekalb, Wilson and Trousdale Counties, making in all seven sessions. He is one of the foremost criminal lawyers with a practice second to none, extending into all the adjacent counties, Nashville, Tuscumbia, Alabama and Cincinnati, Ohio. For eight years he was an equal partner with Judge Cottrell, of Lebanon, and is an able and honorable man. In March, 1846, he married Mary E., daughter of Aaron and Sarah M. Botts, natives of North Carolina and among the earliest settlers of Tennessee. Mr. Ford, although sixty-five years of age, has the vigor of his earlier life, a fact which he attributes to his care of himself and abstinence from liquor and tobacco. Always an active Democrat, his first vote was for Clay. Of considerable wealth, he owns 500 acres, 100 of which are in Wilson County. Mrs. Ford is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

       H. D. Foust, of Foust & Jones, carriage manufacturers at Alexandria, was born in Wilson County in 1845, a son of William E. and Betsey (Luster) Foust. The father, born in Wilson County about 1818, was the son of William Foust, a native of Germany. William E. was married in 1844, and was all his life a blacksmith and carriage manufacturer in his native county. He was sheriff of the county four terms. The mother was born in the same county about 1829, and both were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Educated at Lebanon, our subject at fifteen entered Company A, in the Forty-fifth Tennessee Infantry, and operated in the extreme South for about eighteen months, when, under the conscription act, he was rejected on account of age. He then returned home, and soon after joined Gen Forrest’s command, and afterward Gen. Morgan’s on his Indiana and Ohio raid, but was captured on reaching the Ohio River. He was soon recaptured, and went home and south to join Gen. Wheeler at Dalton, Ga., with whom he remained until his surrender at Raleigh, N. C., and then returned home. In December , 1865, he married Catherine, daughter of W. A. Robinson of Lebanon, where she was born in 1844. Their six children are living: William E., Jr., Bettie, Henry D., Malinda, John L. and Etta. Mrs. Foust, died in 1880, and in 1881 he married Mary J. Lannon. They have one child, Lillian. Mr. Foust was a blacksmith and carriage-maker at Lebanon for several years, when after some time in Shop-Springs he removed to Alexandria and entered the present firm, which is the only large enterprise of the kind in the county. For seven years M. Foust was marshal of Lebanon. He is a firm Democrat, first voting for Seymour . He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. His first wife and two children were members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

       Hon. John A. Fuson, an eminent practicing physician and surgeon of the Fourth District, was born in 1815, in Champaign County, Ohio. He is the third of seven children (three living) of James and Martha (Sneed) Fuson, both of whom were natives of Patrick County, Va. The father was of English descent, born in 1792. Two years after marriage he moved to Champaign County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming, occasionally preaching. He died in 1863. The mother was of French origin, born about 1795, and died in 1885. The subject of this sketch received a limited education in the common schools of his native county, remaining with his parents until he was twenty-two, when he came to Tennessee, and settled at Alexandria, Dekalb County, where for three years he studied medicine under direction of Dr. Thomas J. Sneed, at the expiration of which time he began practicing at Liberty, in 1842. In 1847 he married Martha L., Daughter of John W. and Lucy W. (Flowers) Allen, near Rome, Smith County. Mrs Fuson was born in White County, in 1826, and became mother of eleven children. The eight surviving ones are James; Lucy Jane,Wife of Chas. McCaverty of West Virginia; John A.; Elizabeth, Wife of Isaac N. Fite; George M.; Wm. Francis; Josephine, Wife of Chas. Williams, and Joseph Benjamin. In 1856 the Doctor purchased a farm in the Fourth District of Dekalb County, and moved his family there. He has always had an extensive patronage; is one of the most skillful and popular practitioners in the section. He has accumulated considerable property and wealth, but has lost heavily by security debts. He owns 300 acres of well cultivated and improved land. His son, William Francis, is now taking a large portion of practice off the Doctor’s hands, and has been successful and prosperous. In 1854 the Doctor was elected to represent Dekalb County in the General Assembly of 1855-56. He was elected in 1865, for 1865-66. He was senator for Dekalb and Wilson Counties one term. His official career was satisfactory and highly creditable. He was the author of the Small Offense law. Previous to the war he was a Whig, casting his first presidential vote for Wm. H. Harrison in 1840. He was a stanch Union man, and now a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and the five eldest children are Methodists.

       Pat Geraty, a merchant of Dowelltown, was born in 1832 at Castle Bar, County Mio, Ireland. He is one of six surviving children of a family of nine born to John and Catherine (Conway) Geraghty. The father was born in 1795, same place where Pat first saw the light. Early in life he was a carpenter, afterward a farmer. He died about 1880, in the vicinity in which he had always lived. The mother was born about 1798, in the same county, at Clare, and died in 1883. Our subject was educated in the common schools of his childhood’s home. After attaining his majority he came to America, landing in New York, where for six or eight months he lived in the suburbs. He then went to Canada; for six months he was engaged in farming. He move to Rock Island, Ill., in 1857, and became a United States soldier, serving as such eight years. In the late civil war he was in Company G, Fourth United States Cavalry. He took part in the famous battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, Lookout Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta and in numerous skirmishes. He was honorably discharged at Gravely Springs, Ala., March 13, 1865, from the army in which he had so bravely fought for the preservation of the stars and stripes. He was very much enfeebled in health, from the hardships and exposures common to a soldier’s life, and remained delicate several years. Immediately after the restoration of peace, he established himself in the mercantile business in Clear Forks, Cannon County, Tenn., where he remained fourteen years, when he sold out and moved to Dowelltown, again embarking in the same business. About 1870 he married Sally Melissa, daughter of John and Julia (Knights) Hale, of Cannon County. Mr. Geraty is a selfmade Man; he landed in New York without a penny, but a stout heart and firm determination. He now owns a valuable farm of sixty acres at Dowelltown, and his store has a first-class stock, valued at about $3,500. He is a worthy citizen, and much respected. He is a Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for A. Lincoln, in 1864. He is a member of the G. A. R., Floyd Post, No. 16. He is a Roman Catholic, and his wife a Missionary Baptist.

       Prof. H. L. W. Gross, Principal of the Masonic Normal School, Alexandria, and the associate principal, Prof. James L. Boon, are well and favorably known throughout the country. Prof. Gross is the son of Milton and Clara P. C. (Lincoln) Gross , and a native of White County. The father was of German descent, Born in Sullivan County, Tenn., and a son of Jacob Gross, a native of North Carolina and pioneer settler of Sullivan County, where he was engaged in farming and gunsmithing. He died about 1880. His widow, who is ninety-five years of age, enjoys the best of health, is robust and vigorous as a young woman, and never had a serious illness in her life. Milton went to Sparta when about eighteen years of age, and engaged in the saddler’s trade. He married about 1838, and died about 1854. His wife was born in Hardy County (now West),Va., in 1815, is still living at Sparta, where he received his early education. After attending Buritt College at Spencer, lacking only a term of five months, finishing the course, and two years’ teaching in Alexandria , he entered the Vanderbilt University course in English. He returned to Alexandria and entered upon the duties of his present position, which he has discharged to the satisfaction of all, winning the confidence and esteem of the community. In 1886 he made an extended tour through the North for mental improvement. He attended the two weeks’ session of the eminent Dr. Parker’s, and visited the Cincinnati schools. He is a Democrat, and for fourteen years has been a faithful member of the Christian Church.
        William T. Hale. This gentleman is a merchant, Lawyer and litterateur of Liberty; was born in 1857 at Liberty, Dekalb Co., Tenn., and is one of three boys of C. W. L. and Malissa (Overall) Hale. He received his education at the Masonic Academy, at Liberty, and has been a close student at home. At the age of seventeen he began business life as a partner with his father in the mercantile firm of Hale & son, and has continued in the same business, in connection with his profession, which he entered in 1884, having at the same time found leisure enough to indulge his literary tastes. In 1876 he married Lula Lewis, who was born in 1860, and who was the daughter of G. W. and Sophie (Allen) Lewis, of Lebanon, Tenn. He has two children: Charles and Herbert. Since finishing his studies under James A. Nesmith he has built up a flattering practice in Dekalb and adjoining counties. He is best known as an author, being the author of “Vernon Wild,” a novelette, which had a considerable local reputation, and of the two poetical volumes, “Violets,” and “Swallow Flights”; while his ephemeral pennings for the press would fill volumes. His poems are dainty, finished and full of feeling, and have been praised by Joaquin Miller and Gerald Massey. Below are given a few quotations, taken at random from his poems:

    “I think this thing as proper quite
         As anything e’er writ or spoken--
    No golden calf should loom unbroken,
         When overshadowing prostrate Right!

    “And I think the prettiest thought God had
         When he made all of earth but the human,
    Was that which led him to brighten the world
         With woman, beautiful woman.”

    “Am I not one who know’s Love’s worth?
         Lo! My hands are empty, although my days
    Were spent in search of the joys that seemed
         Far in the front and hidden from gaze.

    “While smiles of Luna from realms aloft--
         Gleams they seemed from the land of bliss--
    Settled down over the scene as soft
         As mouth over mouth in a kiss.”
       In 1886 Wm. Hale was a candidate to represent his county in the General Assembly, but was defeated on account of his prohibition principles. He is a Democrat politically, and cast his first vote for W. S. Hancock for President.

       D. T. Harrison, druggist, was born in 1856 in Dekalb County, the son of John and Mary (Kelley) Harrison. The father, born in Ireland, came to America with his parents when eight years old, and when eleven left home and in some way settled in White County, Ill. He married in White County and learned the tanner’s trade. He was in the late war about one year, and in 1865 came to Smithville and bought a tanyard of W. H. Magness, at which he continued until 1880, when he was elected register. He served four years and in 1886 moved to his present residence near Temperance Hall. His wife was born in White County, and died in 1881. Their six children were James B., in Harrison, Ark.,a merchant; our subject, Cora, John H. (deceased), Robert S., and William (deceased). Our subject was educated in Fulton Academy and Pure Fountain College, Smithville. In 1879 he and his brother, J. B., established a tobacco factory at Smithville, and since 1882 when his brother withdrew, he has been running it independently. He manufactures about 15,000 pounds annually. In March, 1886, he bought a drug store of his brother and has since carried on both lines of business, and is a promising young business man. Politically he is a Democrat and is a member of the I. O. O. F., Pure Fountain Lodge, No. 217, Smithville, and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

       Isaac Hayes, An enterprising farmer of the Fifteenth District, was born November 3, 1810. In Georgia, and brought when an infant to Dekalb County by his father. He is the third of nine Children born to John and Martha (Young) Hayes. The father was born in South Carolina. He was for some time a resident of Georgia, then Alabama, and finally came to Tennessee, locating where Dekalb County now is. He died when Isaac was a mere boy. Our subject was educated in the subscription schools of the county. He remained with his widowed mother until his marriage. In 1832 he wedded Miss. Elizabeth McGinniss, who bore him seven children: Mary, Lucinda, Richard, Elizabeth, Isaac, and twins, all of whom are dead. The mother departed this life Janurary 29, 1852. He married Miss. Eliza Helen Robinson, December 23, 1852. This Union resulted in the birth of eight children, of whom are living John R., Richard, Kizzie, Rebecca, Mary, Isaac, and Eliza. After farming on rented land for some time, Mr. Hayes purchased fifty acres on Holmes Creek, and now owns 500 acres of valuable land, well cultivated, located on the Lancaster and Smithville road, eleven miles from the latter place. His property was greatly damaged by the late War, almost ruined, but he now has it in fine condition, and is one of the healthiest localities in the county. Mr. Hayes is a stanch Democrat, and a worthy, respected citizen. He is interested in the advancement of educational affairs, and a generous contributor to all charitable and beneficial enterprises.

       R. F. Jones, merchant, was born in 1857, in Alexandria, Dekalb County, Tenn., one of three children of Jas. and Martha P. (West) Jones, the former, probably of English origin, and born near Alexandria about 1825, and the latter of like ancestry, and born in the same vicinity about 1835. The father was engaged in merchandising the most of his married life at Alexandria. At the battle of Chickamauga he received a shot from which he died in a few hours. The mother died near Alexandria in 1884. Educated at Alexandria and Liberty, our subject began clerking in 1874 for William Vick, at Liberty. After nine years here, he established himself in his present business at Dowelltown in which he has been most successful. In 1878 he married Eliza, daughter of Isaac and Nancy Whaley, of Liberty, where she was born in 1857. Their two children are Mattie and Frank. Our subject is a Democrat, first voting for Hancock. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

       Prof. T. B. Kelly, A. M., LL. B., president of Pure Fountain College, Smithville, was born in Columbia, Maury Co., Tenn., in 1852. His parents were Thomas J. and Elizabeth (Hardwicke) Kelly. The father was of Irish descent, born March 9, 1810, in Dickson County, Tenn., where his father, Thomas Kelly located after emigrating from Ireland, about 1800. Thomas J. married in 1838, and about 1844 moved to Columbia, where he established a queensware store which he managed successfully until the year of his death, 1861. His first wife was of French extraction, born in 1817, in Buckingham County, Va. She died in January, 1854. There were eleven children, only two of whom are living: George M., a farmer of Maury County, and our subject. Prof. Kelly received his early education in his native county, at Jones’ Academy. In 1837 he entered the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, remaining five months. In the winter of 1873 he began the study of law at Nashville, his preceptor being Hon. F. C. Dannington. He also assisted in the office of the clerk of the supreme court. In the fall of 1874 he entered the law department of Cumberland University at Lebanon, graduating the following June. He located in his native town. In September, 1876, he commenced teaching in the Lewisburg Institute. For fifteen months he was assistant principal, at the end of which time he entered upon the practice of his profession in Lewisburg. Later he became principal of the institute. In 1881 he was called to serve in same capacity in the high school at Columbia, remaining two years. In 1883 he took charge of the college of which he is now president. The attendance is an average of 150 a year. In June, 1886, Cumberland University conferred upon him the degree of A. M. He is one of the most thorough, intelligent and respected instructors in the county. He is highly esteemed by both patrons and pupils. January 4, 1876, he married Miss Ella Steele, daughter of Prof. P. W. Dodson, the efficient teacher at Dover, Stewart County. Mrs. Kelly was born in 1855 in Williamson County, Tenn., and is the mother of three living children: Pauline, Thomas B. and Inez. Prof. Kelly is a K. of H. and an F. & A. M. He and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His wife is a lady of superior culture and in considered one of the best pianists in the South.

       Rev. Ira W. King, pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a prominent citizen of Alexandria, was born December 3, 1819, in North Carolina. He is the fourth of eight children born to Prof. Tho. H. and Ann (Harris) King. The father was a native of Virginia, born about 1790, of Scotch-Irish descent, a son of Henry King, also a native of Virginia. Tho. H. was reared and liberally educated in his native State. He went to Rockingham County, N. C., when a young man, where he married about 1810. In 1820 he moved to Williamson County, Tenn., and in 1832 located in Smith County. A few years prior to his death he went to Jackson County. He died in 1865. Many years of his early life were spent as a school teacher in North Carolina and Tennessee. He served as deputy sheriff and captain of militia for several years. The latter portion of his life was devoted to agricultural pursuits. His wife was born in North Carolina about the same year of his birth and died in 1873, a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Our subject was mostly educated at Castalian Springs, Sumner County, and at Lebanon, where he married in June, 1843, Miss Deborah, daughter of Jackson N. and Elizabeth (Whitson) Brown. Of the ten children born to this union, four are living: Dr. Robt. W., of Gordonsville, Smith County; James D., A merchant of Wilson County; Emily C. (wife of John A. Gwaltney, of Smith County), and Mary J. (wife of A. J. Sullivan, a merchant and farmer, of Wilson County). Mrs. King was born in Wilson County in 1819 and died in 1874. February 16, 1876, our subject married Miss Tobitha L. Roundtree, who was born and reared in Rome, Smith County. Mr. King first settled in Wilson County as a teacher, two years later moved to Granville, Jackson County, where he taught about three years, after which he began farming. In 1850 he located at Gordonsville, Smith County. He spent two years in traveling for the American Tract Society, and since that time has been engaged in ministerial work and looking after his farm. In 1856 he was elected trustee of Smith, serving with so much satisfaction, that he was twice re-elected, making six years in all, and though strongly solicited to continue, declined. In 1866 he became superintendent of public instruction, which office he held two years. From 1856 to 1864 he had charge of Ebeneezer and Union Hill Churches. In 1864 he was appointed by Gov. Johnson as sheriff of Smith County to reorganize civil government. Judge McCleain appointed him clerk of circuit court but he declined to serve. All of his political positions were filled with credit and distinction. In 1875 he sold his farm and moved to Wilson County, purchasing property in the Fourth District. In 1884 he sold out and located at Alexandria. December, 1885, he assumed the pastorate of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and still holds it. For many years he has worked faithfully in this noble cause. He is greatly beloved by his entire flock. For thirteen years he had charge of a congregation in Wilson County. Since August, 1886, he has been connected with the drug business, in partnership with his nephew, Ira W. King, the firm being known as Ira W. King & Co. He owns a commodious dwelling in Alexandria, with pleasant surroundings. He is a total prohibitionist, an old and prominent member of the Masonic order, and a strong advocate of general education. His wife and three children are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

       James H. Kitching, a prosperous farmer and stock dealer of Alexandria, was born May 28, 1840, in Smith County. He is the fourth of fourteen children of Thomas and Mary (Davis) Kitching. The father was born in Smith County in 1809, a son of James Kitchen who was a native of North Carolina. He immigrated to Tennessee at an early date stopping first at the top of Bledsoe’s Lick, Sumner County, afterward located in Smith County, near the head of Kitching Creek which was named for him. He was one of the first settlers in that section where his life was passed. Thomas was reared in his native county, where he married about 1831. He is a substantial farmer, well and favorably known. His wife was born in North Carolina about five years later than her husband. Both are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They raised a large and intelligent family; all lived to maturity. There are now three sons and four daughters. The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools. In September, 1862, he enlisted in the United States Army, in Company B, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry. He took part in the battle of Stone River and many skirmishes. In August, 1863, he was discharged on account of disability, but in the fall of 1864 enlisted in Company G, Fourth Tennessee Mounted Infantry, as a private, but soon became second Lieutenant and was detailed to take command of a force to restore order and enforce civil law in Smith County, in which capacity he served until the close of the war, when he resumed farming. February, 1870, he married Mattie E., daughter of Robert and L. D. Dowell, of Alexandria. Of their seven children, two sons and three daughters are living: Robert D., Jesse, Ella, Hallie, and Edith. Mr. Kitching remained in Smith County until 1879, when he moved to Alexandria. Farming and trading has always been his occupation. He owns a farm, and a comfortable house in town. For some time he has been trustee of the Masonic Normal School. He is a Republican; rather conservative. He cast his first presidential vote for A. Lincoln in 1864. Since 1868 he has been connected with the Masonic fraternity, and a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since his seventeenth year, of which church Mrs. Kitching is also a member.




Goodspeed’s DeKalb History Page

Goodspeed’s Home Page

DeKalb County TNGenWeb Genealogy Page

This page last updated on Wednesday, August 12, 2015