C.F. Boyer, clerk of the
circuit court, was born in 1846 in Cocke County, where he has since resided.
He enlisted in August, 1863 in Company A, Third Tennessee Mounted Infantry.
He was appointed sergeant but declined the appointment. He served until
December, 1864 when he was mustered out at Knoxville. He then attended
school two years at Parisville, when he engaged in farming and merchandising
until 1876 when he was elected sheriff of Cocke County, and was twice re-elected
to same office--serving in all six years. He was then elected Circuit Court
Clerk and was re-elected August, 1886. He was elected justice of the peace
in 1869, and served about three years, being elected to fill an unexpired
term. He was married in 1872 to Miss Florence McNabb, a daughter
of Alexander McNabb, a native of Monroe County, although he has
lived in Cocke County most of his life. Seven children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Boyer: Hester E., Henry S., Horace
C. Jettie, George R., Creed Mc, and Franklin A. Mr.
Boyer is a Republican in politics, and he is a Master Mason. He was
the fourteenth of fifteen children of Isaac and Elizabeth (Simms) Boyer,
a native of Virginia, who settled in Cocke County about 1817 with his family.
Mr. Isaac Boyer was a farmer and tanner by occupation. Mr. C.F.
Boyer began life in very moderate circumstances and the most he is
now worth is the fruit of his own business ability. He owns a fine farm
of 300 acres, which was formerly owned by his grandfather, Padgett.
While sheriff Mr. C.F. Boyer hung two men--noted desperadoes, the
only men ever hung in Cocke County by law, and otherwise rendered valuable
service as a sheriff.
J.J. Burnett, a farmer
in the First District, was born February 7, 1824, in North Carolina, near
Ashville, and December, 1835, he moved to his present location. He began
life for himself when of age as a farmer. He attended school at Holston
College, Jefferson County, TN. He began with about $1,200, and what he
is now worth is the fruit of his own industry and good management. He owns
about 400 acres of land where he lives. He was married February 10, 1853,
to Miss Mary E. Huff, daughter of Stephen Huff, who was a
son of John Huff, who was a native of Virginia. Six children blessed
the union: Jehu J., Stephen F., Jesse A., Frances E.C., Sissie
Elizabeth J., Cynthia A. Mrs. Burnett died about 1863. He was
married a second time October 10, 1867, to Miss Esther A. Lea, a
daughter of Alfred Lea, a native of Jefferson County, or near the
Jefferson and Knox County line. Five children blessed this union: Evalina,
Henrietta M., Harriet C., Joseph J. and Swan A. Mr. Burnett
is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and is a Democrat in politics.
He was elected justice of the peace, and served six years. He cast his
first presidential ticket for Gen. Taylor. He was eleventh of thirteen
children of Swan R. and Frances (Bell) Burnett, natives of Virginia
and North Carolina, respectively; Mr. Burnett coming to North Carolina
when a boy. He began life for himself a poor man, and by his very successful
farm management became quiet comfortably fixed. He was a son of Thomas
Burnett, a native of Virginia. He was killed by a Tory, about the time
of the battle of Kings Mountain, in which battle his brother Joseph was
killed while fighting for his country. Mr. and Mrs. Swan Burnett
were of English and Irish descent respectively. Mr. J.J. Burnett
and possibly a sister in Missouri are the only children now living of thirteen.
J.J. Denton, a farmer
near Newport, was born May 16, 1851, in Cocke County, where he has since
resided. When nineteen years old he engaged in the grocery business, eight
years, when he then engaged in farming, at which he has since continued.
He began life a poor man, and what he is now worth is the fruit of his
own industry and good management. He owns 270 acres of fine land. He was
married in 1876 to Miss Lizzie Lloyd, a daughter of G.W. Lloyd,
a native of Cocke county, now residing in Texas, and who is a tanner by
trade. to this union four children have been born: George Lawrence,
James Clarence, Dixie and Lloyd. Mrs Denton is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church. and Mr. Denton is a Republican in politics.
He is the sixth of seven children born to Jefferson and Charity (Huff)
Denton, natives of Cocke County. He was for many years justice of the
peace of his district, and commanded a company in Longstreets command
during the late war. His son, T.H. Denton, was in the Second Tennessee
Cavalry and accumulated considerable property, but owing to his paying
security debts, was twice broken up, but each time regained his feet. He
is a son of Thomas Denton, a native of England, and a a very early date
immigrated to America, and settled at the mouth of Crosby Creek, being
one of the earliest settlers, having previously resided at the present
site of St. Louis, Mo.
L.W. Hooper, M.D. was
born February 4, 1939, in North Carolina, and when twenty years of age
came to Dandridge, Tenn. He received a good academical education, and read
medicine with Dr. J.C. Cawood, of Dandridge. He then graduated from
Bellevue Medical College, of New York, and began his present successful
career as a physician at Newport. Dr. Hooper, it should be mentioned,
has earned the money to educate himself by his own efforts. He is the oldest
settler on the site of Newport. On April 21, 1870 he married Sarah E.
a daughter of William Norton, a native of North Carolina. Both are
members of the Missionary Baptist Church, in which he has been deacon since
the church at Newport was organized. He is a Republican, and a Master Mason,
and is the youngest of fourteen children born to John and Margaret (Ledbetter)
Hooper, natives of Georgia and South Carolina respectively, and of
German-English and English origin. Absalom Hooper, the next ancestor,
was a blacksmith, highly respected among the Indians, who gave him the
name, Steke Santone i.e. Little Keg
referring, to his small stature.
He was seven years in the Revolution, part of the time as cannoneer at
Charleston. S. C. Margaret Hoopers father was also a soldier of the war
for Independence. Our subjects grandfather, Absalom hooper, received
two wounds in the Revolution, one in the knee which made him a cripple
for life. His Grandfathers were the first settlers of Western North Carolina,
and were only permitted to stay among the Cherokees by their being blacksmiths.
His Grandfather Hooper made several hairbreadth escapes.
Capt. A.C. Huff was born in 1819, in Cocke County, where he has since
resided. He is a son of Stephen
and Elizabeth (Carson) Huff, his mother being a daughter of Andrew
Carson, who was one of the early settlers, and an exemplary man. Capt.
Huffs Great-grandfather, John Corder, and grandfather, John
Huff (both of Virginia), were the pioneer settlers of Greene, now Cocke
County. They built a fort for the protection of the settlement from the
Indians, who were quite hostile in those early days. In this fort Stephen
Huff was born in 1796. He was of German and English descent, a substantial
citizen and a man of fine judgement. The fort was afterward converted into
a comfortable dwelling, in which Stephen died, at the age of seventy-three.
Capt. A.C. Huff married, at the age of twenty, Narcissa,
a daughter of Swan P. Burnett. To them were born twelve children:
Stephen (deceased), Swan B., James T. (deceased), Frances
J., John J. (deceased), Robert Jesse (deceased), Andrew F.,
Eliza C., William D. (deceased), Mary N., Flora G. (deceased),
and Eva S. His wife, Narcissa, died in 1880. Capt. Huff,
in 1863, commanded Company B, Second North Carolina Infantry (Federal)
and was mustered out March, 1865. In 1883 he married Mrs. J.R. Shackleford,
of Lexington, GA, a daughter of William and Elizabeth A. Latimer.
Capt. Huff cast his first vote for Gen. Harrison, for president.
He served as a justice for two terms; once by election, and once appointed
by Gov. Brownlow. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He was
a strong Union man, opposed secession, and has always voted with the Republicans.
Col. William Jack, a farmer
and stock dealer, was born in 1817, in the Irish Bottoms, opposite the
mouth of the Chucky river, on French Broad River. Since about 1825 he
has lived on his present farm. In 1842 he married Elizabeth, a daughter
of Richard De Witt, of South Carolina, who was under Gen. Jackson,
in the Indian Wars. Their children are Samuel W., Harriet E. (now
Mrs. Capt. George Stewart), Rowena (now Mrs. S.W. Cromer),
Marcus D., Julia (a widow of the late John Young),
Willliam and Charles. His wife died May 14, 1864. He is a
democrat, a Master Mason, and in doctrine, a Presbyterian. He is the fourth
of seven children of Samuel and Nancy (Rogers) Jack, the latter,
a daughter of Alexander Rogers, a native of Ireland, and a pioneer
of the Irish Bottoms where she was born. Samuel Jack, a native
of Pennsylvania, of English Stock, was the next ancestor. Our subject has
succeeded, by his executive and managing ability, in acquiring 550 acres
of fine land.
O.M. Kelley, farmer, was
born in 1846, in Greene County, where he lived until 1875, since which
date he has lived at his present home. His first independent work was in
farming and milling, at which he continued until January, 1887, when he
abandoned the latter. In 1866, E.C. Susong, a daughter of John
Susong, a native of Greene County, became his wife. Their children
are Effie J., Willard E., Carrie R., Lee H., Jennie E., George S.,
Essie V. and an infant (deceased).
He and his wife are Presbyterians, in which church he has been ruling elder
for sixteen years. He is a Democrat, and first voted for Greeley. His fine
farm of 150 acres lies near Parrottsville. He is the fifth of seven children
of Wylie and Eliza (Kelley) Kelley, natives of Kentucky and Greene
County, respectively, the former serving as justice many years both in
Greene and Cocke Counties, and both of English-Irish stock. The father,
a miller, and farmer was worth about $20,000, and excepting a year in Missourri
and one year in Indiana, he always lived in the two counties mentioned
above, in which he served as justice. He died in 1877, aged seventy years.
The grandfathers were John Kelley and Andrew Kelley, the
latter the paternal one. John Kelley, Sr., the grandfather, came
from Ireland at his majority, in 1771, and on account of the captains
pretense of having lost his bearings, but probably was because he had an
eye on the slave trade, their vessel drifted so far south that the heat
was intense, and they were thirteen weeks in reaching their destination,
and then only because, after fourteen days in such heat that the ships
chains would sizzle as they touched water, they persuaded the captain with
the rather forcible argument that they would throw him overboard if he
didnt change his course. He landed on the North Carolina coast, taught
school, and finally married Anna Hunter, by whom he became the father
of three children: John, Joseph, and Andrew. He crossed the mountains
at Kelleys Gap, and settled in Greene County, where some of his descendents
still live, and hold as a relic his old chest brought from his native land.
W.W. Langhorne, attorney
at law at Newport, was born January 23, 1841, in Smithfield, Va. He received
a good academical and collegiate education. He studied law under Robert
Whitfield, of Smithfield, and under Taswell Taylor, of Norfolk,
and was admitted to the bar in 1866, at Lynchburg. He enlisted, April 19,
1861, in company F, Sixth Virginia Infantry, and served until May, 1864,
when he was disabled. After recovering, he served in different capacities
until his capture at the fall of Richmond, when he was carried to Point
Lookout, where he was retained until June 22, 1865. After his release he
came to Newport and taught the first school ever held there. He is a stanch
Democrat. He is a Master Mason. He was married October 8, 1868, to Julia
R. Smith, a daughter of A.E. Smith, a native of Cocke County.
Five children have blessed their union: Morris A., Willie D., Louisa
(deceased), Julia e., and Lillian R. He is the eldest of nine children
born to Maurice and Louisa (Drew) Langhorne, natives of Virginia,
of Portsmouth and Smithfield, respectively. He was a minister of the gospel
in the Protestant Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Langhorne were
of English descent.
J.C. La Rue, merchant
and farmer, was born October 3, 1824, in Knox county, and came to Cocke
County, when twelve years old. Up to his twenty-eighth year he was the
main support of his father. In 1861, he married Margaret J. Parrott,
a daughter of Samuel Parrott, a son of George Parrott, in
whose honor the village was named. Our subjects children were Samuel
B., Selma A., Frank D., Fannie K. (deceased), James H., Charles
W., Horace L., Hugh F., and an infant (deceased). The third and fourth,
and seventh and eighth were twins. His wife is a Methodist Episcopalian,
and he is a Master Mason, and a Republican, and first voted for Taylor
for President. He was a constable four years, and county clerk for a similar
time. He owns a fine farm of about 450 acres near Parrottsville, besides
another tract of 498 acres, and a saw and grist-mill two and a half miles
southeast of Parrottsville. He was the third of seven children of Francis
and Nancy A. (Young) La Rue, natives of Knox County. The father was
a soldier in the war of 1812, and was in politics an old line Whig. He
was a Christian man, and devoted to agricultural pursuits. The La Rues
were of French and the Youngs of English origin. George La Rue,
a native of Knox county, was the next ancestor.
W.J. McSween, attorney
at law at Newport, was born May 3, 1848, in Cocke county, where he has
since resided. He attended school at Emory and Henry college, during 1866-68
and then graduated in 1871 in the law department at Cumberland University,
and began immediately the practice of law at Newport, Tenn. He practices
in courts of adjoining counties, and in the supreme court. He was married
in November, 1876, to Miss Florence Kidwell, a niece of Judge
William McFarland and a daughter of William Kidwell, a native
of North Carolina, and who when ten years old (1820) came with his father
to Cocke County, Tenn. three children have blessed their union: William
K., Mabel and Lillian. Mr. and Mrs. McSween are members
of the Presbyterian Church, and his is a stanch Democrat. He represented
Cocke county in the legislature of 1885 and 1886, being elected in a Republican
county. He is a Master Mason. He is the youngest of five children of William
and Catherine (Allen) McSween, natives of North Carolina and Cocke
County respectively. Mr. McSween came to Cocke county in 1820, when
ten years old. He was clerk of the county court and was circuit court clerk
of Cocke County for twenty years, and was clerk and master of the chancery
court for about ten years and represented Cocke County in the Legislature
of 1840 and 1841. He was a son of Murdock McSween, a native of North
Carolina. His father was a native of Scotland, who after the battle of
Colloden, came to America under the protection of Flora McDonald.
W.F. Morris was born October
15, 1825, in Cocke County, where he has since resided. He began for himself
when about twenty-one years old, and has acquired a reasonable competency.
He lives on the old homestead of 307 acres, and has other landed interest
in the county, part of which is timber and mineral land in the mountains.
In 1866, he married Elizabeth Josephine Montgomery, of Greeneville,
SC, a daughter of Chevis C. Montgomery who died in 1882. Their children
are M. Bertie, Maggie A., Lillie Pauline, Katie
Maudine. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church;
in politics a Democrat, and first voted for Taylor and Fillmore, in 1849.
In 1853-54 he represented Cocke County in the Legislature; in 1860 was
census taker for the county. He is a Master Mason. He is the eldest of
five children of William and Mildred (Driskell) Morris. His father
came from North Carolina, his mother was born and raised in Cocke County,
Tenn. James and Martha Morris, his grandparents, were natives of
North Carolina. The Morrises were of Welsh origin, the Driskells
were of Irish origin.
Darius Neas, M.D., was
born January 5, 1849, in Greene County, Tenn. He graduated at Mosheim College,
Greene and then taught in the high school at Parrottsville and at Caney
Branch, also reading medicine at the same time. In 1877, he graduated from
medical department of Vanderbilt University, and in 1878 from the University
of Nashville, and has since had an excellent practice at Parrottsville.
April 7, 1881, he married Ida M., a daughter of Dr. B.F. Bell,
of Greene County, now of Cocke County. Their children are Vernie E.,
U. Roy, and Brent. He and his wife are Lutherans, and his
is politically a Republican. He is tenth of eleven children of Phillip
and Elizabeth (Bowers) Neas, natives of Greene, and of German descent;
the former died March 2, 1873, and the latter in April, 1880. The grandfather,
John Neas, Jr., a native of Greene County, was a farmer, and the
son of John Neas, Sr.
Hon. J.H. Randolph, lawyer,
was born October 19, 1825, in Jefferson County, Tenn. When two years old
his father died, and his mother then moved to Grainger County, where he
received his boyhoods education. His mother then moved to New Market,
Tenn., and there he and his only brother entered Holston College and through
the energy of his mother and his own industry, they obtained their education.
Shortly after this he read law by himself, and was admitted to the bar,
after being examined by Judge Robert M. Anderson and Chancellor
Thomas L. Williams, and began the practice at Newport, Tenn. He was
elected to the Legislature in 1857-61 and to the State Senate in 1865-66.
He bitterly opposed the secession of the State. He was elected circuit
judge in 1870, over James M. Meek, and Walter R. Evans, and
re-elected in 1872 over J.P. Swan, resigning at the end of seven
years to become a Republican candidate for Congress, to which he was elected,
and that is a Democratic district. He was identified with the remonetization
of the silver dollar, making greenbacks equal to gold, repeal of the bankrupt
law, and the repeal of laws unfavorable to the widows of soldiers, and
making laws favoring them. In 1848 he married M.J. Robinson, a daughter
of Maj. William Robinson, formerly a resident of Kentucky. Their
children are William H.M.(deceased), Rolfe M. and Townsella.
James M., his father, a native of Jefferson County, died early in
life, the son of Henry, of Roanoke Va., who was a pioneer of Jefferson
County, Tenn. Welsh, German and Indian blood flows in the Randolph veins.
A.W. Rhea, M.D. a prominent
citizen of Newport, Tenn., was born in 1838, in Blountville, Sullivan County,
Tenn. When small he was taken by his parents to Wautauga Bend, in Washington
County. He attended the academy at Jonesboro, and also attended Washington
College for some time. He studied medicine with Dr. Carson, of Jonesboro,
and received his medical education at the University of Virginia. He began
shortly afterward the practice of medicine at Newport, where he has since
been when permanently located. He was surgeon during the late war for the
Sixty-second Tennessee Confederate States Army serving during the war.
He has an extensive practice and ranks with the best physicians of the
country. He was married in 1861 to Miss Mary E., daughter of Gen.
A.E. Smith, natives of Tennessee, two children have been born: Lucia
M. and Archie W. Mr. Rhea is a Democrat in politics.
He is the eldest of four children of Joseph S. and Sarah F.J.
(Williams) Rhea, natives of Sullivan and Carter Counties, respectively.
He was a son of Samuel and Nancy (Braiden) Rhea, natives of Scotland.
Mrs. Sarah Rhea was a daughter of Archibald Williams, a native
of Carter County, Tenn.
Charles Stokely, Sr.,
farmer and stock dealer, was born June 19, 1821, on the farm where he has
since resided. Since he began for himself at his majority he has acquired
a fine farm of 175 acres, his home, besides other tracts. About 1850 he
married Sarah, a daughter of John Black, of South Carolina.
Their children are Mary J., Sarah E. (deceased), Thomas
(deceased), Rhoda E., Susan C., Royal J., Nancy
A., (deceased), Steven D., John B.(deceased), James
(deceased), Jesse, W.D., Cora B., Lilla (deceased).
He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which
he has been a deacon for five years. He began with Henry Clay in his presidential
voting, but is a Democrat. He is the seventh of ten children of Royal
and Jane (Huff) Stokely, both of English and English-Dutch descent
respectively. The father was a justice for twenty-one years, and the mother,
a native of Virginia, when eighteen months old, came to Cocke County, where
she died. The grandfather, Jehu, a native of England, was a sailor
for seven years, and in 1747 settled in Charleston, S.C., and afterward
lived in North Carolina and in Cocke County. the maternal grandfather,
John Huff, a native of Roanoke County, VA, came to Cocke County
about 1785. He was a soldier in the Revolution, and was a financial success
as a hunter and trapper.
A.M. Stokely, a farmer
in First District, was born in 1850 on the farm where he has since resided.
He owns a fine farm of 450 acres. He was married, in 1881, to Miss Katie
(Jackson) Murray, a daughter of J.C. Murray, a native of Greene
County, but for the past thirty years has resided in Cocke County. To
Mr. and Mrs. Stokely three children have been born: Jessie May,
Hattie Evaline, Marvel Murray Jones. Mr. and Mrs. Stokely
are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Stokely is a Democrat
in politics, and cast his first presidential ticket for Horace Greeley.
He was elected trustee of Cocke County in 1878, and was re-elected again
in 1850. He is the sixth of thirteen children of Nathan Huff and Evaline
(Jones) Stokely, natives of Cocke County. The father was justice of
the peace for several years of his district, and was trustee of Cocke County
several years. He followed farming very successfully. He was the son of
Royal and Jane (Huff) Stokely.
George W. Susong, farmer
and stock dealer, was born February 2, 1835, in Greene County, Tenn., and
in 1867 settled in the Fork of Pigeon, but since 1870 he has been at
his present home. A horse, saddle and bridle was the outfit his father
gave him to begin his journey through life, and he now owns a fine farm
of 1,700 acres in the Dutch Bottoms, and known as the Carter farm. In
1868 he married Susan, a daughter of Jehu Stokely and wife (nee
Burnett), natives of Cocke County. The former died February 26,
1885, and was a son of John Stokely, Sr., who, with two brothers,
were among the earlist settlers of Cocke County. the children of our subject
are Jacob A., Mary J., Addie, Georgianna, John
B.S., Susan E., Louisa K. and Hester C. His wife
is a Baptist, and in politics he is a Democrat, and is also a Master Mason.
He was the ninth of thirteen children of Andrew and Susan (Ball) Susong,
natives of Lee County, VA, the former an old resident of Washington County,
Va., and a soldier of the war of 1812, and the latter a daughter of William
Ball. Nicholas Susong, the next direct ancestor, with his brothers
Jacob and Andrew, came to America with Gen. Lafayette during the
Revolution, and fought with that great General. The brothers first settled
in Virginia, and afterward near Bristol, where they reared their families.
W.R. Swagerty, farmer
and stock dealer at Newport, was born August 3, 1842, on the farm where
he has since resided. He began life for himself when twenty-two years old
and excepting some property received from his father, what he is now worth
is mostly the fruit of his own industry and good management. He owns a
fine farm of 396 acres near Newport. He was married in December, 1866,
to Miss Lydia Allen, a daughter of James Allen, a native
of Cocke County. He was a farmer, and served in the Mexican War. to Mr.
and Mrs. Swagerty the following children have been born: Lora Anna,
Fannie Dale, James M. (dead), Nannie Laura, Hattie
Murray and Eunice. Mr. and Mrs. Swagertys oldest and
third daughters are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and Mr.
Swagerty is a Democrat in politics, and cast his first presidential
vote for Horatio Seymour. He was elected justice of the peace in 1882,
and his is a Master Mason. He is the sixth of ten children of James
and Nancy (Clark) Swagerty, natives of Cocke County. He was for many
years, justice of the peace, and was High Constable of the county for
many years, and was a very successful farmer. He began life for himself
a poor man, and before the Negroes were freed he was worth about $200,000,
the fruit of his own industry and good management. Mr. and Mrs. Swagerty
were of German descent. He was a son of James Swagerty, a native
of Virginia, and was among the earliest settlers of Cocke County. He was
for many years, justice of the peace. His first wifes name was Delilah,
who died March 22, 1844, aged about seventy-one years. He was married again
November 22, 1844, to Nancy H. Johnson. He was born in 1773 and
died about 1868. Mr. James Swagerty, Jr. was born in 1800 and died
1885. Mr. W.R. Swagerty enlisted June 1861, in company C, Second
Tennessee Infantry, Confederate States Army, and Served until 1864, when
after the battle of Mission ridge, he was captured and kept as a prisoner
of was at Sevierville Jail until the close of the war. He was wounded at
the battles of Murfreesboro and Chattanooga.
Table of Contents Page
Cocke County TNGenWeb Home Page
This page last updated
on Wednesday, August 12, 2015