John R. Bray was born in North Carolina in 1839, and is one of nine children born to the union of Matthew and Nancy (McDaniel) Bray. The father was born in North Carolina in 1806, was reared in his native State, and received a fair English education. He was married at the age of twenty-one, and in 1837 removed to Middle Tennessee; settled near Lewisburg, where he remained two years. He then came to Henderson County, and followed agricultural pursuits until the time of his death, which occurred in 1848. Mrs. Bray was born in North Carolina in 1812, and died about 1884 in Texas. Both father and mother were devout members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Our subject received a good practical education, and November 18, 1850, was married to Mary C. Bray, a native of North Carolina, born in 1833, and the daughter of Samuel and Mary Bray, both natives of North Carolina. Mr. Bray, our subject, has a fine farm of 379 acres, all under a good state of cultivation, and six miles northeast from Henderson. In 1863 he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-first Tennessee Cavalry, under Capt. W. H. Bray, and remained in service until the final surrender, being engaged in the quartermaster’s department. He returned home and resumed his farming, after an absence of over three years. Politically Mr. Bray is a life-long and ardent Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Franklin Pierce in 1853. He and wife are active members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Dr. B. H. Brown, physician and surgeon of Mifflin, is a son of David W. E. and Clarissa (Anthony) Brown, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1803, and reared in his native state, where he received but a limited education. He immigrated to Maury County with his father in the early settlement of that county, and was married there about 1823. He came to Henderson County in 1833 or 1834, and located about ten miles north of Lexington, where he cultivated the soil until 1866. He then removed to Mifflin, and in a few years after removed to Mississippi, where he died in 1874. The mother was born in North Carolina in 1805, and died in 1861. Her father, Philip Anthony, served as a soldier during the Revolutionary war. Our subject was born in Maury County, Tenn., in 1828, was reared at home and educated in the common schools of the county. At the age of eighteen he began the study of medicine, and in 1849 entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., where he graduated in 1850. He immediately began the practice of his profession at Pleasant Exchange, in Henderson County, and afterward at Red Mound, where he was located at the breaking out of the war. He organized a company of sharpshooters, of which he was made captain, and, at the organization of the Twenty-seventh Tennessee Regiment, was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel. After the battle of Shiloh he was promoted to the rank of colonel for gallantry. In the same engagement he was considered mortally wounded, and was discharged from the service. He did not sufficiently recover to again enter the ranks. Previous to the war in 1851 he married Miss Elizabeth A. Taylor, daughter of A. and F. Taylor, and to this union were born six children, four of whom are living: Cornelia S. (Mrs. C. F. Howard), Dr. Willis C., Andrew E. and Jessie E. (Mrs. R. C. Cooper). Mrs. Brown was born in North Carolina in 1827, and died in January 1874. In February 1875, he married Mrs. Sarah B. Cooper, daughter of Richard W. and Mary E. Hudson. She died in March 1883. In 1866 the Doctor located at Mifflin, where he has since continued his practices with his usual energy and success, being now one of the leading practitioners of the county. He is a man of good information, and has the confidence and esteem of all his acquaintances. He is a life-long Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for F. Pierce. He is also an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
T. J. Buttler, farmer of Mifflin, is a son of Obediah and Nancy (Williams) Butler, both natives of North Carolina, and both born in the year 1806. The father was married at the ago of twenty-one and soon after came to Madison County, Tenn., where he followed agricultural pursuits until his death in 1866. The mother died about 1852. They were both consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject was born in Madison County in 1830, and was one of seven children, four of whom are living. He received his education in the common schools of Madison County, and in 1861 enlisted in Company A., Thirty-first Tennessee Infantry (Confederate Army), and was in active service during the entire Rebellion. He was twice wounded, once at Murfreesboro, and again at Peach Tree Creek. He then returned home after four years of honorable service, and resumed his agricultural pursuits. In 1866 he married Catherine Swank, who was born in 1841, and who is the daughter of Wilburn and Mary C. Swank, of Madison County. To our subject and wife were born seven children: .L. H., John W., Thomas O., Mary E., Hattie P., David R. and Callie. Mr. Butler remained in Henderson County until 1877, when he came to Mifflin and is living there at the present time. He is the owner of about 1,800 acres of land in this and Henderson Counties, and is an extensive and enterprising farmer. He is a Democrat in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Franklin Pierce. Mrs. Butler is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Col. C. M. Cason, present register of Chester County, Tenn., was born near Henderson, Tenn., in 1827, and is one of a family of five children, four of whom are living, born to the union of William and Mary (McKnight) Cason. The father was born in South Carolina in 1804, and came to Middle Tennessee with his parents when but an infant. They located in Wilson County and remained there until 1826 when William came to West Tennessee, and located near Henderson, being one of its first settlers; he was a farmer by occupation and filled the position of constable for many years. He was also deputy sheriff, and is now a resident of Henderson. His wife was born in Wilson County about 1804, and died in February, 1885. Our subject was reared at home and received his education in the district schools. In 1850 he married Mary H. Barbam, a native of Hardin County, born in 1829, and a daughter of John Barbam. By their union they have eight children: W. T., circuit court clerk of this county; John B., hardware merchant and salesman; R. E., wife of Prof. J. B. Inman; Susie. J. R., B. P., D. K. and J. E. In 1848 Mr. Cason engaged in the mercantile business at Montezuma and continued at this until about 1871. He has also been engaged in business at Henderson since 1867. At the organization of the county he was elected register of the same and was re-elected at the last election. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1861 Mr. Cason enlisted in the Thirty-first Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Confederate Army), under Col. Bradford of Brownsville, Tenn., and was himself captain of the company. He remained in active duty for some time, but, on account of ill health was obliged to leave the service. He returned home in 1863.
Robert and H. D. Criner, liverymen at Henderson, established their business in 1885. They were born in Henderson County, the former in 1854 aud the latter in 1856. Their parents, John A. and Patsey Ann (Stanfield) Criner, are both natives of Tennessee, the father born in Lincoln County about 1817 and the mother in Henderson County about 1820. After marriage they located on the old farm in Henderson County where they reared a family of eleven children, six of whom are now living. Robert Criner began life as a public officer, serving several years as constable, afterward as deputy sheriff of his native county. He then served two years as clerk in a dry goods store at Center Point and also filled the same position in Henderson. In 1882 he was elected to the office of sheriff of Chester County, which position he filled with credit to himself and to the people. He then returned to his father’s farm where he remained until he entered the livery business. H. D. Criner remained on the farm until 1883 when he engaged with Robert in their present business. He was married in December, 1882, to Miss Belle Young, daughter of H. H. and Mary Young and a native of Henderson County, born in 1863. She and Mr. Criner are members of the Christian Church and are respected citizens. Both brothers are Democrats and cast their first presidential votes for S. J. Tilden. They are active business men and do a prosperous livery business, giving general satisfaction to their patrons.
John B. Edwards, a well known farmer of the Fifth District of Chester County, was born in Henderson County in 1840, the fourth child of a family of six children born to Samuel T. and Charlotte (Robertson) Edwards. The father was of Welsh descent; born in North Carolina in 1809, he came with his mother in 1830 to Henderson County, where he lived at the time of his marriage; he settled in the Third District, the portion now called Sixth District of Chester County. He lived there until the time of his death, which occurred in 1844. His wife was also of North Carolina, born in 1812, and died in 1870. The subject of this sketch received his education at the schools in Mifflin, Lexington, Bethel College and McLemoresville where he attended for four years; he remained at home with his mother until he was about sixteen years of age. In 1856 he accepted a position as salesman in a general store at Mifflin, where he worked over four years, or until hostilities broke out between the North and South. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate service, Company I, Thirteenth Regiment, Tennessee Infantry. He took active part in the engagements at Belmont, Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Franklin and Nashville, also in numerous skirmishes. At the battle of Belmont he was captured and held as prisoner of war, but only for a short length of time. He remained in service until the surrender, was with Gen. Forrest the last six weeks; he returned home April, 1865, after four years of duty. February, 1865, he married Miss C. A. Buckley, of Henderson County, born in 1844, a daughter of John Buckley. To their union six children have been born: Lizzie, Carl, Hubert, Annettie, Helen and an infant son. In 1866 Mr. Edwards established a general store at Princeton, Madison County. In 1868 he abandoned mercantile pursuits and returned to his native county and began farming. In 1875 he bought 222 acres of land in the Third District, now the Fifth District of Chester County, where he settled and now resides. For the past three years he has also owned an interest in a general store in Muffin, the company being known as Wheeler, Edwards & Co. Mr. Edwards is quite an extensive land holder, all the land being under fine cultivation and improved with buildings. He is a man of great energy, ability and honor; has met with unusual success, and has the respect of the entire community. He is a stanch Democrat, cast his first vote for Jefferson Davis in 1864.
H. D. Franklin, county court clerk of Chester County, Tenn., was born in North Carolina, January 12, 1848, and is one of a family of live children, two of whom are now living. His parents, David J. and Sarah B. (Browder) Franklin, are both natives of Halifax County, Va.; the former born about 1826 and the latter about 1818. The father came to this State about 1848 and located near Henderson. He is a Baptist minister by profession and is also engaged in the mercantile business at McNairy Station. He is an active business man, a zealous Christian worker, and one of the prominent citizens of the county. The mother died in October, 1883. Our subject was reared at home and received his education in the district schools. In 1869 he married A. B. Sherwood, a native of Clark County, Ala., born in 1851, and the daughter of Alonzo and Harriet Sherwood. By this union they have four children: Evie, Etna, Rubie and David. In 1867 Mr. Franklin was appointed postmaster and held that office for about thirteen years; at the same time he was engaged as salesman for a dry goods house, and express agent. He continued the mercantile business until 1882 when he was elected to his present office. He was re-elected and still fills the position. He is a Democrat in politics, a member of the Masonic fraternity, also a member of the A. O. U. W., and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church, of which he is a deacon.
J. A. Fry, farmer and lumberman of the Tenth District, Chester County, was born in East Tennessee in 1825 and is one of a family of five children, two of whom are now living. His parents, Joseph and Catherine Fry, are both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1794 and came to Madison County in 1825, being among the early settlers of that region; he was a farmer by occupation and died in 1846. The mother was born in 1798 and died in 1834. Our subject was raised and educated in Madison County. In 1857 Mr. Fry located where he now lives and built a steam saw-mill, which he has operated ever since in connection with farming. He is a Democrat in politics but was formerly an old line Whig, casting his first presidential vote for Henry Clay. He is a good citizen and has the respect of all his acquaintances.
C. O. Hardeman, present trustee of Chester County, was born in Giles County, Tenn., in 1840; son of Benjamin F. and Ellen (Sanders) Hardeman. The father was a native of Middle Tennessee, born in 1815. His educational advantages were very limited, but being a man of great observation and a lover of literature, he, through self study became a well informed man. He was married in Giles County about 1835 and in 1851 removed to Henderson County where be tilled the soil up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1858. He reared a family of ten children — eight sons and two daughters — who are still living. Five of’ his sons were in the Confederate Army all of whom returned without receiving any serious injury. He served as captain in the Mexican war and was a man of considerable influence. The mother was born about 1817 and is still living on the old homestead in Henderson County. Our subject received his education partly in the common schools and partly by observation and reading. January, 1862, he married Miss Amanda Stubblefield, a native of Wayne County, Tenn., born in 183S.and the daughter of Thomas and Sallie Stubblefield, natives of north Carolina and Virginia respectively. They are still living in Henderson County. To Mr. and Mrs. Hardeman were born nine children, six of whom are now living: Thomas B., Jasper G., Sarah Alice, Elizabeth, Cora and C. Maude. Our subject first located near Centre Point where he remained until 1884 engaged in farming; since then he has resided near Henderson and is the owner of 400 acres of land in the vicinity; he also owns land in Henderson County. He held the position of magistrate from 1872 till 1884 when he was elected to the office of trustee of Chester County and re-elected in 1886. He is an ardent and uncompromising Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Jeff Davis in 1861. He is a long-standing and prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and is also a consistent member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Hardeman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Hiram Johnson, an old resident and magistrate of the Sixth District, was born in Moore County, N. C., May 2, 1824, and is one of a family of twelve children, seven of whom are living. His parents, Joseph and Christina (McCollum) Johnson, were both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1774 and came to West Tennessee in 1823, locating in Madison County. He was a farmer by occupation, and was a magistrate in the First District of Madison County for some years. After living there twelve years he moved to McNairy County, where he died June 24, 1858. The mother was a few years younger than her husband, and died about 1830. Our subject received his education in the common schools, and August 15, 1855, he married Bettie McCleod, a native of Somerville, Tenn., born January 24, 1834, and a daughter of Dickson C. and Martha M. McCleod. To them were born four children: Joseph D., Hiram H., Maggie and Marvin. Mr. Johnson has always followed agricultural pursuits, and has lived on the farm that he now owns, with the exception of a few years, when he moved to town for the purpose of educating his children. In March, 1853, be was elected magistrate and has performed the duties of that office ever since; to the evident satisfaction of all. He is a Democrat in politics but cast his first presidential vote for Z. Taylor. He is a Mason, a member of the I. O. O. F, and he and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. A. Miller, citizen and farmer of the Third District of Chester County, Tenn., was born in McNairy County, Tenn., April, 1847, and is one of a family of ten children. He is a son of R. S. and Elizabeth (Willett) Miller and a grandson of Francis and Margaret (Skinner) Miller. R. S. Miller was born in South Carolina, in 1816, and came to McNairy County, Tenn., with his parents when a young man. He was a farmer by occupation, a tanner and a prominent citizen of the county. He died July 11, 1874. Elizabeth (Willett) Miller was born in McNairy County, in 1822, and is now living with her son, J. A. Her parents were Edward and Polly (Tedford) Willett, the former born in Virginia about 1790, and moved to Lincoln County when a young man. He was twice married, was a farmer by occupation and was in the "Jackson war" a short time. He died in 1862. His wife, Polly (Tedford) Willett, was born in East Tennessee about 1800, and died in 1836. Our subject was reared at home and received his education in the district schools and at Purdy in 1879. He was elected magistrate of the Eighth District, McNairy County, and the next year was chosen trustee of the county. He held this position until that part of the county was cut off to help form Chester County, and at the organization of, that county he was elected magistrate of his district (No. 8, Chester County), a position he continues to hold. He is engaged in farming and is operating the same cotton-gin that his father built in 1838. He is a Republican in politics and a member of the Grange order.
Caleb McKnight, a prominent citizen and farmer of the Sixth District of Chester County, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1820, and is one of a family of nine children, three of whom are living. His parents, William and Rhoda (Kissee) McKnight, are both natives of South Carolina. The father was born in September, 1773; was married in his native State and came to Wilson County. Tenn., a few years afterward, where he remained until 1823. He then moved to Madison County. He was a tiller of the soil and died in 1857. The mother was born in March, 1774, and died in 1854. Our subject received his education in the district schools near home, and December 29,1839, he married Elizabeth Hardage, a native of Middle Tennessee, born in 1818, and the daughter of Zachariah and Margaret Hardage, early settlers of Madison County. Seven children were the result of our subject's marriage, all of whom are deceased. In 1839 Mr. McKnight located where be now resides. He is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and Mrs. McKnight are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Thirty-first Tennessee Infantry, and was captain of the same, the colonel being R. H. Bradford. He remained out some time and was obliged to return home on account of ill health.
John A. Parrish, farmer and prominent citizen of District No. 4, is a son of Thomas A. and Martha (Stone) Parrish, and was born in Virginia in 1832. The parents were both natives of Virginia and died in 1867 and 1848 respectively. The mother was a worthy and consistent member of the Baptist Church. Our subject was reared at home and educated in the common schools. He came to Henderson County in 1830, and at the breaking out of the late war enlisted in Company I, Thirteenth Tennessee Infantry, and was in all the engagements in which his command participated. He was wounded at Franklin and rendered unfit for duty the rest of the war. He then returned home after an absence of three and a half years' service. In 1866 he settled on his present farm, which consists of 203 acres of good productive land under a high state of cultivation, all of which he accumulated by his industry and successful management, having started in life without a dollar. January 13, 1885, he married Mollie McGee, a native of this county, born about 1852, and the daughter of A. P. and P. McGee. Our subject is a Democrat in politics and cast his limit vote for Fillmore in 1856. Mrs. Parrish is a member of the Christian Church.
William Rush, Esq., a prominent farmer and citizen, of the Tenth District of Chester County, was born in Madison County February 22. 1827, and is the only child born to the union of William and Mary (Tidwell) Rush. The father was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Madison County about 1823. He died in 1827. The mother was born August 81, 1807, and is still living. Our subject received a good practical education at Jackson, and December 21, 1850, married Margaret E. Naylor, a native of North Carolina, born in 1829, and the daughter of George and Martha Naylor. By this union they have six children: John A., Mary E. (Mrs. O. T. Siler), William A., M. B., George T. and Sarah F In 1849 Mr. Rush located near where he now resides and has since been engaged in farming, He is also a carpenter by occupation, and ran a sawmill and cotton-gin for many years. In 1850 be was elected magistrate. and held that office until the war. When Chester County was organized he was chairman of the board at commissioners that formed the county, and was first chairman of the county court. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
C. R. Scarborough, present chairman of the county court at Chester County, and a prominent citizen of Mifflin, is the son of Edmund and W. (Tarbutton) Scarborough, both natives of North Carolina, the father born in 1800 and the mother in 1802. They were married in 1820 and three years later came to Henderson County, and afterward immigrated from there to Madison County where they were classed among the early settlers. The father has been magistrate of Madison County for a number of years, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal. Church, and is still living. The mother was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and died in 1884. Our, subject was born in Henderson County in 1823, and received his education in the common schools. He spent a portion of his early life in teaching, and February,1840, married Mary J. Hodges, a native of Tennessee, born in 1824, and the daughter of Josiah and Mary Hodges, of Henderson County. Nine children were born to this union, six of whom are living: Lorenzo, W. L., William H. of Arkansas, Samuel A., Mary E. (Mrs. J. H. Wheeler), Jessie F. and Fannie L. Mr. Scarborough has been a resident of his present farm since 1857, and is the owner at nearly400 acres of land. He began life with little or nothing, and has succeeded beyond his most sanguine expectations. In 1870 he was elected to the office of magistrate and has been three times re-elected to the same office holding that position at the present time. He has for four years been chairman of the county court, the first year in Henderson County, and since then in Chester County. In 1868 he was appointed postmaster of Mifflin, which position he continues to hold to the general satisfaction of all concerned, lie is a Democrat in politics and east his first presidential vote for Gen. Cass. Mr. Scarborough is a Mason and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South together with nearly all their living children.
Capt. B. M. Tillman, a prominent citizen and farmer residing in the Sixth District, Chester County, was born, in Marshall County, Tenn., October 21, 1840, and is one of nine children born to the union of John and Nancy (Edwards) Tillman. Eight of these children are living; one. T. H. died while in. the Confederate service. The parents were both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1817, came to Tennessee when a young man, located in Marshall County, where he remained until about 1841. He then settled in Henderson County, and was a farmer and mechanic by occupation. He was a prominent citizen and died in 1866. The mother was born in 1818 and died in 1880: Capt. B. M. received his education in the district schools near home and in the Montezuma Academy. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-second Tennessee Infantry, and occupied the position of orderly sergeant. After the consolidation of the Fifty-first and Fifty-second Regiments he was elected captain and took an active part in the battles of Shiloh, Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and many minor engagements. He received three slight wounds at Chickamauga, and was once captured and held a prisoner for about four months. In the spring of 1864 he was assigned a special department, and July 4, 1865, returned home. In 1866 he married Miss M. A. Newsom, a native of Marshall County. Ala., born in 1840, and the daughter of’ W. V. and Mahala Newsom. To our subject and wife were born two children: John V. and an infant. After the war Mr. Tillman located near where he now resides, and began farming, which occupation he has continued up to the present time. In 1872-73 he represented the people in the State Legislature, and was elected to the same position in 1876-77. In 1880 he was elected State senator of the Eighteenth Senatorial District, composed of five counties. Capt. Tillman is an active progressive man and one to take the lead in all public enterprises. A short time since he was admitted to the bar. Hie is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Grange order.
William C. Trice, farmer, was born in Henderson County, in 1833, and is one of four children, two now living: Mrs. F. Hamblett and our subject. Their parents, John C. and Elizabeth (Crook) Trice, are natives of North Carolina and Kentucky respectively, the father born in 1801 and the mother in 1806. John C. was reared in his native State and received but a limited education. He came to Henderson County about 1822 and in about 1828 was married, after which he settled near Jacks Crock where he still resides. He is one of the County’s prominent citizens and is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. The mother is still living. Harrison Trice, grandfather of our subject, was a native of North Carolina and came to Henderson County about 1827, where he died. The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools and November 19, 1850, he married Eliza E. Boren, a native of Henderson County, born in 1835, a member of the Christian Church, and the daughter of Elijah and Mary Boren. By this union they became the parents of seven children, six of whom arc living: Luke L., Callie R. (Mrs. J. B. Christopher), Lora A., Eva B. (Mrs. M. F. O’Neal), Mattie H. and Lessie. Since his marriage Mr. Trice has resided on his present farm which consists of 1,200 acres of land, the most of which is under a high state of cultivation. Ho is one of the most extensive land holders in the county and is a practical and ideal farmer. In 1865 he was appointed magistrate and has filled that office in a capable manner ever since. He was a Whig in politics before the war and is now a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
John H. Trice, farmer and citizen of District No. 4, was born in McNairy County, November 7, 1860, and is one of two children, only our subject now living, born to the union of John H. and Susan (Anderson) Trice. The father was born in Henderson County about 1832 and was of Scotch-English ancestry. He was married, in 1858, and settled in what is now Chester County, where he was engaged in farming. He was elected to the office of magistrate at the age of twenty-two and was holding this position at the time of his death, which occurred December 8, 1881. The mother was born in McNairy County about 1834, and is now living in Madison County. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. John C. Trice, grandfather of our subject, was a native of North Carolina, born in 1804. He came to Henderson County about 1822 and located near Jacks Creek, in 1824. He is still a resident of that county. John H., our subject, received his early education at Medon, afterward at Jackson College and finished at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He spent several years of his early life as clerk in a mercantile house and in January, 1883, he married Lessie Cawthorn, a native of Chester County, born in 1861,and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Her parents are John L. and Martha Cawthorn. Mr. Trice owns 800 acres of as fine land as is to be found in the county. He is one of the county’s most enterprising citizens and is a Democrat in politics having cast his first presidential vote for Grover Cleveland.
J. M Troutt, leading attorney of Henderson, Tenn., is a native Kentuckian, born in Marshall County, April 8, 1848; son of William and Isabella (Watkins) Troutt, both natives of Marshall County, Tenn. The father was born about 1804, and moved to Kentucky about 1840. He served for many years both as constable and deputy sheriff. He was also engaged in agricultural pursuits in which he was quite successful. He died about 1857. The mother was born about the same year as her husband and is now living with her son, Dr. J. R. Troutt, at Clear Springs, Ky. Our subject was educated at the McKenzie College, and also at Bethel Co1lege but subsequently attended Princeton College, Kentucky. In 1871 and 1872 Mr. Troutt read law under Judge McCampbell of Paris, and was admitted to the bar about 1874; after which he practiced at Dresden until 1880. He then came to Henderson where he has since remained. He is an able practitioner and has built up an extensive practice. He was one of the leaders in organizing Chester County. after the act was passed setting it aside as an independent county. In 1874 Mr. Troutt married Emma Travis, a native of Henry County, Tenn., born in 1850, and the daughter of Dr. Joseph Travis. She died in 1876. December, 1877, he married R. Province, a native of McKenzie, Tenn., born in 1852 and the daughter of Andrew and Mary Province. To this union was born one child, James McCord, Mr. Troutt is a Democrat in politics, an excellent citizen and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Troutt is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In 1804 he enlisted in Company G, Third Kentucky Mounted Infantry, Confederate Army, and participated in many important battles. He was captured at Selma, Ala,, paroled at Montgomery and returned home in 1865.
W. C. Tuckcr, M.D., farmer and citizen of District No. 5, is a son of W. C. and Mildred H. (Kilber) Tucker, both natives of Virginia, born in the years 1801 and 1802, respectively. The father was reared in his native State and married in 1826. He was a farmer and died in 1827, in the prime of life. The mother died in the year 1878, a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. W. C. was born in 1827, and was reared by his mother, his father having died when our subject was but an infant. He was educated at Cedar Forest, Va., and came to Henderson County in January,1832. He engaged in mercantile pursuits at Mifflin until 1856, when he began the study of medicine under Dr. Cochran of that place. In the fall of 1856 he entered the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, took one course, and immediately began practicing at Mifflin, but was soon compelled to abandon it on account of ill health. He once more engaged in the mercantile business at Juno, Henderson County, and continued till his business was destroyed during the late war. In 1860 he was elected to represent Henderson County in the State Legislature, and served a term of two years to the general satisfaction of the public. December, 1862, he married Lucy D. Buckley, daughter of John H. and Mary C. Buckley, natives of Virginia. To Dr. and Mrs. Tucker were born six children: Mary, Mildred A., Alice R., William F., Nathaniel A. and Lucy D. Mrs. Tucker was born in Henderson County in 1840, and died in 1870. The Doctor has since been a resident of his present farms being now the owner of about 600 acres of good productive land in two tracts, all well improved. In politics he was formerly a Whig, but is now a Democrat. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1854.
D. M. Tull, farmer of District No. 6, and the son of John and Jane A. (Busick) Tull, was born in what is now Chester County, in 1851. The father was born in North Carolina in 1806, and was of Irish extraction. He was reared at home, received a good English education, served in the Creek war, and came to this county with his parents, March, 1842. He was a mechanic and died in 1885. The mother was born in North Carolina, in 1815, and was of Anglo-Irish, Welsh and Italian extraction. She died in 1878. Both parents were worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Nicholas Tull, grandfather of our subject, was also a native of North Carolina. He removed to Davidson County, Tenn., at a very early day and from there to this county in 1823. He died in 1881. Our subject was born on the farm where he is now living, and received his education at the common schools and at the Henderson and Mifflin Academies. January 18, 1877, he married Mrs. Mattie Crook, a native of McNairy County, Tenn., born in 1853, and the daughter of Thomas Robinson. To our subject and wife were born five children: Ernest, Alice, Thomas, Inez and Guy. Mr. Tull owns 130 acres of good land in the home place, 100 acres in another tract and also has property in Henderson. He is an ardent Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for H. Greeley. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
F. H. Weir, an enterprising farmer of the Sixth District of Chester County, was born in Madison County, August 20, 1834, and is one of a family of eight children. His parents, S. L. and Mary Weir, were both born in Blount County, Tenn., the father in 1793 and the mother in 1800. They came to Madison County in 1830, where he was engaged in farming until his death, in 1854. The mother died in 1834. Our subject was reared at home and received his education at the district schools and at Bethel College. In 1858 he married Rittie Cain, a native of Madison County, born in 1834, and the daughter of Andrew and Sarah Cain. They have an interesting family of children. Mr. Weir is an active energetic man and has followed agricultural pursuits the principal part of his life. In 1888 he was elected deputy sheriff, and filled that office with credit. occupying that position for about six years, to the satisfaction of all concerned. He was also elected magistrate when Chester County was organized. In the fall of 1881 he entered the Confederate Army, joining an independent company of scouts under Gen. Forrest. He served through the principal part of the war and was a brave and gallant soldier.
Table of Contents Page
Chester County TNGenWeb Home Page
This page last updated on Friday, October 10, 2003