TNGenWeb Project
The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
Pages 1194-1199

Biographical Sketches
Campbell County

Transcribed by Mitzi Freeman

       J. H. Agee M. D., is one of the prominent citizens of Jacksboro, Tenn., and was born in Campbell County, February 14, 1827, and is the son of James and Elizabeth (Tudor) Agee. The father was a native of Virginia and was born in 1789. He served in the war of 1812 under Gen. Cocke and his widow received a land warrant in recognition of his services in that war. He was the son of Isaac Agee one of the pioneers of Tennessee. His mother was born in Virginia, in 1792, the daughter of Harris Tudor. The father died in 1844, and the mother in 1865. Both were members of the Baptist Church. Our subject was reared on the farm, and acquired his education in the neighboring schools and in Union County, finishing his education at Clinton. He began life at the age of sixteen years, working on the farm. He followed farming as a vocation, reading medicine at the same time, up to the breaking out of the late Rebellion. He began practicing medicine in about 1853. At the breaking out of the war, he removed his family to Pike County, Ind., where he farmed and taught school until January, 1865, joining Company I, One Hundred and Forty Third Regiment of Indiana Infantry, of which he was orderly sergeant, and served guard duty on the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway, and at Fort Donelson, Tenn. At the close of the war he returned to his home in Indiana, and in the latter part of 1865 returned to Campbell County, Tenn., where he followed farming until 1867. He entered politics in 1867; became the Republican candidate for the Legislature to represent Campbell County, and was elected. He was re- elected in 1869, serving through the years of 1867-70. He then retired from office, but continued in active politics. In 1880 he was elected to represent the counties of Campbell, Scott and Union in the Legislature, and in 1881 was elected to represent the counties of Campbell, Claiborne, Grainger, Scott and Union in the State Senate. At the close of his term in the Senate he was appointed to the office of clerk and master of the chancery court of Campbell County, which position he holds at the present. His official life has been characterized by ability, integrity and justice, and gave satisfaction to the public in general. He has, to a great extent, retired from the practice of medicine. He is a member of Milton L. Phillips Post, G. A. R. He was married November 22, 1848, to Mary Comer who was born in Campbell County, Tenn. To this union eleven children have been born, ten of whom are living. Both parents and two daughters are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

       William Allen circuit clerk, was born in New York January 13, 1844, entered the Federal Army, and served in the scouting force of the Department of the Ohio until the close of the war. He was captured several times, held as prisoner, and also slightly wounded. He then followed farming a year or more in this county, and since April, 1868, has held his present office by re-election, and excellent indication of his fitness for the position. He is now commander of Milton L. Phillips Post, No. 27, G. A. R., of which he became a member since December 23, 1884.

       James F. Archer a farmer in the Tenth Civil District, of Campbell County, Tenn., and a native of this county, was born April 24, 1847. He is the son of James and Nancy (Stanfill) Archer. The father and the mother were both natives of Kentucky. The father was a farmer and merchant, and one of the well respected citizens of Campbell County. He died at the age of fifty-two years, in July of 1862. The mother was the mother of a family of four sons and nine daughters; of these children there live twelve. Our subject is the second son, was reared on the farm, and has devoted most of his life to farming. He commenced the occupation for himself at marriage, which time was 1869. He was united in marriage with Jane Perkins daughter of William Perkins of Campbell County. Five sons and four daughters have blessed the marriage. Mr. Archer had been a successful business man and farmer. He now owns and cultivates a farm of 250 acres, and is a well respected citizen. In 1885 he was appointed postmaster for Jellico, Campbell County, and had managed the office skillfully. He is engaged in merchandising in Jellico, and is a member of the Baptist Church.

       Jesse Baird farmer, was born in Whitley County, Ky., November 24, 1826, the son of Lewis M. and Elizabeth (Woosley) Baird. The father, a native of North Carolina, was of Irish origin, and left fatherless when a child. He was born August 22, 1795, and farmed nearly all his life, coming to Kentucky soon after his father’s death. In 1862 the Confederate soldiers took him from his home, in Tennessee, and tried, in vain, to make him take the oath of allegiance, and consequently imprisoned him, and he died in a North Carolina prison, in May, 1864. The mother of our subject was a Virginian, born of English parents December 28, 1797. She bore eleven sons and three daughters. Our subject, the sixth child, was reared on a farm in Kentucky, and since twelve years of age has been in Campbell County, Tenn. His country school education enabled him to teach, when of age, for two terms, and then after some employment in a distillery, he began his career as a farmer, in Campbell County, on his present homestead, in Elk Valley. In 1853 he married Louisa a daughter of John Smith. She was born in Whitley County, Ky,, (sic) November 9, 1836. Nine sons and four daughters have been born to them, but one of the former deceased. Our subject has been successful in life, and is a member of the United Baptist Church.

       S. C. Baird county clerk, was born November 16, 1841, in Campbell County, the son of William and Nancy (Barron) Baird; the former born in Whitley County, Ky. October 19, 1819, and deceased in April, 1886. He was a farmer, and Lewis his father, was a native of North Carolina. The mother, born in 1821, in Campbell County, was the daughter of Joseph Barron a Virginian, who removed to Tennessee, and finally to Texas. She died in December, 1861. Both parents are Baptists,(sic) Our subject grew up with country school advantages, and when nineteen years of age went to Williamsburg, Ky., where, August 2, 1861, he joined Company A, First Tennessee Infantry (Federal), and served with that regiment, until mustered out at Nashville, September 29, 1864. For two or three years he farmed, and in March, 1868, he became trustee of Campbell County, and in 1870 was re-elected. He then farmed, at the expiration of that term, and dealt in stock until 1878, since which time he has held his present office with characteristic efficiency. He is a member of the G. A. R., Milton L. Phillips Post, No. 27, of which he is Senior Vice-Commander. December 17, 1865, Sarah Bowman became his wife. She was born January 9, 1844, in Campbell County, the daughter of Elias Bowman. They had six children: Synthia E., Winston, Calaway, H. Maynard, Annie J. and Jimmie N.

       Lewis Bowman trustee of Campbell County, and a farmer, was born in that county January 16, 1855, the son of Elias and Nancy (Douglass) Bowman. The father was born in Virginia, in August, 1814, the son of Sherrod Bowman who was killed Elias was a child. He came to Tennessee about 1824, and settled in Union and afterward in Campbell County, where he has farmed up to the present time, and for some time served as deputy sheriff. The mother was born in the county in 1812, the daughter of William Douglass a native of Tennessee. She was a member of the Baptist Church, and died March 9, 1877. Our subject was educated in the Jacksboro schools, and afterward taught about ten years, devoting his vacations to clerking. He was elected trustee of Campbell County August 5, 1886, and is the youngest of the county officials, and one of the most efficient. December 15, 1878, Martha Smith became his wife. She was born in Campbell County, December 11, 1858, and died September 26, 1879. They had an infant, Martha deceased March 25, 1880. February 22, 1883, he married Susie Stanfill born in Campbell County July 25, 1865. She is a member of the Baptist Church. He mother died when she was three years old. Elias Bowman is now and has been a citizen of Campbell County since about 1830. He has been partly blind for six years, caused be detached retina of the eye. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman have two children.

       G. W. Crawford was born in Carroll County, Ohio, January 26, 1858, and is the son of Nicolas and Catharine (Marshall) Crawford. The father is a native of Ohio, and is now a resident farmer of Columbiana County, Ohio. The mother is also a native of Carroll County, Ohio, and of German descent. Our subject was reared and worked on the farm until twenty-one years of age. He was educated in the common schools of his native county, and attended for two terms the Augusta Normal School. When he reached his majority he went to Indiana, and remained for a short time, when he returned to his parental home and here remained for less than one year; then went to Indiana a second time, in which State he was united in marriage with Miss Zaidee Shutts September 5, 1880, at Noblesville. In 1881 he returned to Ohio, and there remained about one year, working in the machine shops of the Buckeye & Sharps Engine Manufacturing Company. Again he went to Indiana, and here was born to him, November 28, 1882, Elsie May who died July 20, 1883. At the death of this child our subject and wife removed to Elk Valley, Tenn., where he remained about one year, engineering, and then returned to Noblesville, Ind., engaging in farming for one season; then finally came to Tennessee, where he has been ever since. He is now engaged in the hotel and livery business at Careyville, Campbell Co., Tenn. August 28, 1886, was born his second child, Goldie Newman. Our subject is an enterprising young man, and has a bright prospect before him. He is an ardent worker in the Republican party.

       Alfred Dossett was born in Campbell County January 18, 1813, and is the son of Robert and Elizabeth (Willoughby) Dossett. The father was born in North Carolina in 1787, and was the son of William Dossett a native of North Carolina, who immigrated to Tennessee in 1804, and settled in Powell’s Valley, Campbell County, at a time when the Indians were in full force. At that time the county was a vast cane brake and forest, and the life of the hardy pioneers was full of trials and tribulations. Robert the father, followed in the footsteps of his sire, and was a farmer. He served in the war of 1812, under Gen. Jackson. He was an honest upright citizen, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was highly esteemed and respected by his neighbors. He died May 12, 1879, in his one hundred and first year. The mother was the daughter of John Willoughby of Campbell County. She was a pious Christian lady, and died June 19, 1836. Our subject was reared on the farm, and acquired his education in the neighboring schools. His education was limited, as the schools of his boyhood were poor, and the opportunities for attending them very poor. He has a good practical education. He was chosen lieutenant of a company organized for the Florida war in 1836, and also of a company organized for the war with Mexico in 1847, neither of which was accepted. He has made a success of life. He was elected justice of the peace in 1882, and holds that office at present. He was united in marriage, February 1, 1838, to Julia A. W. Elliot who was born April 10, 1819. To this union ten children were born, eight of whom are living. The wife was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died May 1, 1867. He was married a second time, July 2, 1878, to Martha J. Smith who was born in Campbell County, September 13, 1835, and died March 18, 1875. He was again married, November 17, 1878 to Rhoda Bowls nee Kitchen. Our subject and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

       John Jones, M. D. probably the oldest physician in East Tennessee, was born in Wilkesboro, N. C., August 9, 1803, the son of Thomas Jones a poor but honest man, who was unable to give his children the school advantages then destined only for those with larger purses. A short time after our subject’s birth his father came to what is now Unicoi County, Tenn., then Carter County, and to Greasey Cove, but about his tenth year his father returned to Buncombe (now Yancy) County, N. C. Four years later, however, they returned to Greasy Cove, and there remained until after our subject had married and moved to Embreeville. In 1822 our subject’s residence burned, and in it perished a six year old sister of his wife, and a young man -- William Wood. Then until about 1825 he worked for Mark Reaves & Sons, at his trade of iron maker, and then went to Roane Creek, Carter (now Johnson) County. Since 1827 he has lived in Campbell County. In 1850-52 he studied medicine, and for twenty years followed its practice in Campbell County. In the year 1861 he was elected as a Union delegate to represent the counties of Campbell and Anderson in a constitutional convention, but as the convention was voted down by the people, he could not serve, In 1868 he became county clerk, and continued so for ten years, and for six years served as justice, making such an excellent record that there was never an appeal from his decisions. Elizabeth a daughter of Benjamin Mosly of Virginia, was his faithful wife for thirty years, who died in 1851, and of their four daughters and two sons, all have died. Some of the daughter’s children are now living in Campbell County. Although Dr. Jones has long been retired from active practice, no physician is more widely and favorably known in his region, both for his excellencies as a man and a doctor, and though his advantages were limited, he has, since he learned to read in his tenth year, been a close and faithful student, so that he is now not only one of the leaders in his profession, but in general culture has reached broad ground, and his experience has led him to be one of the most earnest and aggressive champions of popular education supported by public funds. He is an advocate and friend of active progressive Christianity, and in his personal relations he is a rare man, kind and generous to the weak and erring, yet ever point them to the pure and noble. His long and useful life is now nearing its end, to leave a record of well done when it is closed. He has published a valuable professional book, “The Midwife,” which has a very high standing, and embodies his professional view and learning.

       J. S. Lindsay one of the oldest citizens and most extensive farmers of the Fourth District, was born in Carter County, September 28, 1823, the son of William Lindsay a native of Virginia, and who was born July 4, 1762, a son of Matthew Lindsay of Scotland. April 12, 1824, William removed to Campbell County, and engaged in farming and building iron forges, of which he erected fourteen during his life. He was a major of militia in the early days, and died in 1848, a highly respected man. The mother, Mary a daughter of Cornelius and Nancy (Hall) Storm was born in 1772, in Virginia. Her parents came to Carter County at an early day, and afterward moved to Kentucky. They both lived to be over ninety-five years of age. The mother died in 1863, a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject was educated, chiefly, in the Jacksboro schools, and for several years after leaving school he worked at his father’s trade, and rebuilt Lindsay Forge. He also built a forge for Laban Sharp, at Big Creek Gap. After his marriage he began his present career as a farmer, in which has so well succeeded. In 1851 he became a justice, and, in a new district formed, was re-elected. Since 1852 he has been a trustee of Jacksboro Academy, and in 1870 he became clerk and master of chancery, and held the office twelve years. In 1884 he was elected justice, without an effort on his part, and his official, as well as his private life, has been marked by the highest characteristics. October 3, 1850, he married Catherine Keeney born in Anderson County, April 12, 1827, the daughter of Michael Keeney. Eight of their twelve children are living. Both our subject and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He has served on the building committee of the academy, jail and courthouse, of which latter he was superintendent. He owns a farm of 500 acres. In 1863 he was ordained, and now is, pastor of the Jacksboro Baptist Church, and has also filled the office of deacon for many years.

       W. R. Mars was born in Campbell County, March 26, 1832, the only son of James J. and Maria L. (Maupin) Mars. The father was born in Virginia, in 1803, and was the only son of an only son, who was born in England. He came to Tennessee, in 1828, and settled in Sequatchie Valley, where he remained for two years, and then removed to Campbell County, where he settled permanently, and followed farming as a vocation. He was a public-spirited and enterprising man, and served as a justice of the peace of his county for over eighteen years. He was a brick mason by trade, and erected a large number of brick residences in Powell’s Valley. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and died August 8, 1886. The mother was born in Albemarle County, Va., in 1800, the daughter of John Maupin. She was also a member of the Methodist Church, and died July 25, 1882. Our subject was reared on the farm, and acquired his education at the Fincastle schools. He began life as a farmer, and has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He now owns a fine farm near Fincastle. Though frequently solicited to seek office, he never aspired to the same, and consequently has lived a retired and quiet life. He was married September 25, 1860 to Jane Owens who was born in Campbell County, Tenn., in 1841, the daughter of Daniel Owens. To this union five children were born, as follows: William B. born September 17, 1861; James J. born August 14, 1864; Elizabeth Y. born March 16, 1879; Daniel E. born April 14, 1867 (deceased May 2, 1868), and Franklin born July 19, 1872. The mother was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died July 26, 1872. Mr. Mars was married, the second time, March 17, 1875, to Emma Myers who was born September 6, 1849, daughter of Jacob Myers of Greene County, Tenn. To this union six children have been born as follows: Jacob T. born January 8, 1876; Florence B. born October 12, 1878; Charles W. born January 25, 1880; Leslie M. born October 8, 1881; Mary L. born May 1, 1884, and Samuel E. born June 2, 1886. Both our subject and wife are members of the Methodist Church, he of the Methodist Episcopal, and she of the Methodist Episcopal South.

       W. J. McGee superintendent of public instruction of Campbell County, Tenn., and one of the leading farmers and citizens of the Seventh Civil District, was born in Middle Tennessee, April 5, 1829, and is the son of George W. and Rebecca (Young) McGee. The father was born in Anderson County, Tenn., November 11, 1800, and was the son of James McGee a native of Ireland. The father was a farmer, and died in 1870. The mother was the daughter of Joshua Young a native of Tennessee, and was born in Roane County, October 13, 1808. She died January 7, 1877. The parents were Christians, the father being a member of the Baptist and the mother of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject was reared from his sixth year on the farm in Campbell County, and acquired his early education in the old field schools, and later finished his education at the Jacksboro Academy. After finishing his education he returned to the farm and began the life of a farmer, and has followed that life up to the present, making a decided success, and now owns and cultivates a fine valley farm of 160 acres. He has always taken a decided stand for education and progress, and in 1885 was elected superintendent of public instruction of Campbell County, by the county court. So well did he discharge the responsible duties of that office that he was indorsed by re-election in 1877, and is now the incumbent of that office. He is a man of progressive ideas, and under his superintendency the schools of the county have made great headway and progress. He was married in 1860 to Susan Richardson who is the daughter of Daniel Richardson and was born in Campbell County January 30, 1837. To this union eleven children have been born, ten of whom are living as follows: Mary J. born October 11, 1861; Annie born October 13, 1863; W. H. born December 24, 1864; D. P. born November 14, 1866; died April 12, 1868; Sarah E. born October 20, 1868; James A. born September 24, 1870; J. F. born September 12, 1872, L. C. born July 6, 1874; R. T. born August 19, 1876; H. H. born September 14, 1878; and C. B. born August 6, 1882. W. H. is a farmer of Knoxville, and graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1883. Our subject, wife and children are members of the Methodist Church.

       John Myers was born in Campbell County, Tenn., August 17, 1829, and is the son of Isaac and Margaret (Lindsay) Myers. The father was born in Grainger County, Tenn., August 31, 1801, and is the son of John Myers a native of Virginia. The grandfather immigrated to Grainger County in about 1790, and removed to Campbell County in about 1826. He was a soldier in the war of 1812 under Gen. Cocke. The father is a farmer by vocation, and is one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Campbell County. The mother was born in Carter County, Tenn., and is the daughter of William Lindsay and a sister to Jonathan Lindsay of Campbell County. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject was reared on the farm, and attended the schools of his neighborhood, and of Jacksboro. He began life as a farmer, and has continued up to the present, and is now one of the most prominent farmers of his district. During the militia days he was an officer, and for twenty-four years was justice of the peace of Anderson County, two years of which time he served as chairman of the county court, and discharged the duties of that responsible office with credit to himself and the county. He is now and has been since 1867 one of the trustees of Franklin Academy, at Jacksboro, and is an advocate of education. He is energetic and enterprising, and is highly esteemed by his fellow citizens. He was married in 1853 to Martha Miller who was born in Campbell County, in about 1833, and was the daughter of John Miller. To this union one child was born. The wife died September 11, 1854, and in October, 1857, our subject married Sarah J. Delapp who was born in 1842, and is the daughter of George Delapp (deceased) one of the wealthiest and largest land holders of the county. To this union eight children have been born, seven of whom are living.

       Capt. A. Myers is a native of Campbell County, Tenn., born April 30, 1837, and is the son of Isaac and Margaret (Lindsay) Myers. The father was born in Grainger County, Tenn., in 1801, and is the son of John Myers a native of Virginia. The father removed to Campbell County when about twenty-two years of age, where he began farming, and has continued up to the present, and now lives in the Fifth Civil District. The mother was born in Carter County, Tenn., and is the daughter of William Lindsay and a sister to Jonathan Lindsay of Campbell County. She is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Our subject was reared on the farm of his parents, and attended school at Big Creek and Fincastle. He worked on the farm until the breaking out of the late war. In 1862, fired by patriotism and loyalty, he organized a company of soldiers, of which he was elected captain, and, March 10, 1862, he enlisted in the Federal Army. His company was assigned a position as Company F, in the Sixth Regiment of Federal Tennessee Infantry. He served throughout the war, and was in the battles of Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Strawberry Plains, Resaca, Lookout Mountain, Pumpkin Vine, Stone River, and was in thirty-three heavy engagements in the Georgia campaign, during part of which time he commanded a regiment, and distinguished himself for ability and bravery. He was but slightly wounded, and never captured, meeting with almost phenomenal success. From the Georgia campaign he returned with his command to Tennessee, and on December 15 and 16, 1864, was in the battle of Nashville. From that place he went to Washington, and at Alexandria, Va., embarked on the iron clad “Matansus,” and conveyed to Wilmington, N. C., the trip occupying four days and nights. He was in the successful engagement at that place, and was then sent back to Nashville, where, March 24, 1865, he was mustered out and honorably discharged from the service. He returned to farm in Campbell County after the war, and in 1867 was elected revenue collector for Campbell County, with no opposition, and was re-elected in 1869, this time against opposition, which he overcame by a majority of twelve to one. Retiring from the office in 1871, he resumed his farming, and has since followed agricultural pursuits. He is Post Commander of Meador Post, No. 19, G. A. R., of Fincastle, and always attends the district encampments. He was married November 22, 1867, to Nannie E. Cross who was born in Anderson County, Tenn., in about 1849, and was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Cross both deceased. To this union seven children were born, five of whom are living. The wife was a Christian and worthy lady, a devoted wife and fond mother, and died June 16, 1883, being a member of the Missionary Baptist Church at the time of her death. In 1885 he married Ollie Irwin who was born in Campbell County in about 1858, and was the daughter of James P. Irwin of Campbell County. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died March 10, 1886. Our subject is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

       A. T. Newman, M. D. The subject of this sketch is a practicing physician at Newcomb, Campbell Co., Tenn., and was born at Dandridge, Jefferson Co., Tenn., March 30, 1854. He is the son of W. H. Newman and Malinda Aley. The father was a native of South Carolina, and was of Scotch descent. The mother was a native of Tennessee, and was of German parentage. Our subject was reared on the farm, and received a high school education at Dandridge, and up to the age of sixteen he was on the farm with his father. Somewhat later he, at the age of eighteen, engaged in the mercantile business at Dandridge, and followed it up to 1880, when he suspended merchandising and began the study of medicine at Dandridge, under the instructions of Dr. J. C. Cawood. In 1882 he entered the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, graduated in 1883, and went back to his native town, where he practiced for a short time, and later located at Newcomb, his present location. Here he has established a large practice, and is the physician and surgeon for the Standard Coal Company. September 8, 1886, he married Miss Anna Pearnil Little, daughter of Rev. J. B. Little, of Well Spring. Mr. Newman has never had the advantages that wealth can give, and has had many obstacles to contend with. He has been successful in business, and is a self-made man. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is a well respect citizen.

       J. Henderson Reid, of Jacksboro, Tenn., is a native of Botetourt County, Va., born September 21, 1853, and is the son of Andrew and Eliza (Reid) Reid. The father was born in Rockbridge County, Va., in 1799, and was the son of Pennsylvanian parents. He was a farmer, and died in 1882. The mother was born in Botetourt County, Va., in 1808, and was the daughter of Jacob Reid, a native of Bedford County, Va.; she died in 1885. She was a member of the Methodist Church, while the father leaned to the faith of the Presbyterians. Our subject was reared on the farm of his parents in Virginia, and acquired his early education in the neighboring schools. Later he attended the Presbyterian and Olin Institute at Blacksburgh, Va., and finished his education at King’s College, Bristol, Tenn. He began reading law at Bristol in 1874, and was admitted to the bar and licensed, in 1875, by Judges E. E. Gillenwaters and Hamilton C. Smith. He then spent a year in the West, and in August 1876, located in Jacksboro, Tenn., and began the practice of his profession, and has resided here up to the present, having built up a splendid practice and a fine professional name. He was married in 1878 to Mary J. Lindsay. Who was born in 1854, and is a daughter of J. S. Lindsay, one of the prominent citizens of Campbell County, Tenn. To this union three children have been born. Our subject is a member of Jacksboro Lodge No. 322, F. & A M., and his wife is a member of the Baptist Church.

       T. H. Rhodeheaver, was born at Morgansville, Va., January 7, 1841, the son of George and Lurena (Jenkins) Rhodeheaver, the former a native of Virginia, and both of German stock. Our subject grew up amid the scenes of rural home and school life, and was hardly of age, when he enlisted in Company H, Third Virginia Infantry, and served for a time as a non- commissioned officer. Among the severe actions in which he was engaged were Cedar Mountain, on the Rappahanock and the second Manassas, where he received a wound in the right leg. He was engaged in the oil trade in his native State for two years after the war, and in 1865 went to Ohio and married Fannie C. Armstrong, a native of W. Virginia. Their children are Isaiah (deceased), Yumbert P., Joseph N. and Homer. He then engaged in farming and stock raising in Ohio, and since 1879 has been in the lumber business. In 1882 he went to Scott County, Tenn., and since 1883 has been in Newcomb, Campbell County, where he is dealing in all kinds of lumber, and operating, saw and plaining mill, beside being engaged in merchandising. He now controls considerable capital, all gained from a beginning of nothing at all. He is a zealous Methodist, and a genial, respected man.

       Dr. William B. Russell, was born in Lee County, Va., February 22, 1831, the son of Alexander and Sallie (Hardy) Russell. The father, born in Virginia, December 25, 1800, came to Tennessee in 1846 and settled in Union County. He was a farmer, and died in 1864. The mother, born in Virginia in 1802, died in 1876, a member of the Presbyterian Church, while the father was a Methodist. Our subject grew up on the farm, and attended Walnut Grove Academy, Knox County, and in 1857 began the study of medicine under Dr. C. D. Russell, of Union County, and in 1869 began practice in Union County. He has been practicing in Jacksboro since 1874, and with the best of success professionally and financially. In 1872 Sarah A. Goforth, a native of Claiborne County, born in 1846, became his wife. Two children have been born to them. She is a Methodist. In 1857 he visited Kansas and Nebraska, and in 1862 again made a western tour. He has attended over 800 births during his practice.

       W. H. Smith, farmer, was born near Cumberland Gap, Claiborne County, February 6, 1825, the son of Jordan and Eliza P. (Wheeler) Smith. Robert, the grandfather, was a native of North Carolina, and came to Tennessee before 1800, and settled near the Claiborne and Campbell County Line, when Powell’s Valley was a cane-brake. Jordan was born in North Carolina in 1797, and was a practical and extensive farmer and land owner. During the late war he sold a portion of fine Powell’s Valley land, near Jacksboro, for Confederate money, which of course, was worthless. He served in the Indian removal from the Hiwassee Purchase, under Gen. Nathaniel Smith, but did not serve in any wars. He died February 25, 1881, mourned by all who knew him. The mother, a daughter of Thomas Wheeler, a prominent citizen of this county, was born in 1807, below Jacksboro, and died January 13, 1887, a woman of unusual excellence, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject was educated chiefly at Jacksboro, where he attended in the fall and winter; and although he has been engaged in other duties he has been successful in his career as a farmer, declining all solicitations for office. Among the many trusts he has held is the administratorship of the estate of the late John Kincaid. He is a stockholder of the Powell Valley High School, at Fincastle, and has also been director for several years. October 25, 1849, he married Elizabeth, a daughter of John Kincaid, and born at the homestead April 4, 1831. Their three children were Lossie A., born July 28, 1850, died June 26, 1884; Florence, born January 19, 1855, and William W., born February 20, 1861. Our subject and wife are Methodists, of the Southern Branch.

       Rev. T. M. Smith, farmer and merchant, and minister, was born in Whitley County, Ky., November 22, 1827, the son of James and Nancy (Meadows) Smith, the former born in that county March 16, 1805; the latter, a native of Kentucky, died at the age of seventy-five. The father was a farmer and stock dealer, and came to Campbell County about 1858. He was an able business man, and acquired great wealth, and died September 10, 1882, a member of the Baptist Church, and a man of such genial nature that he left many friends to mourn his loss. He had seven sons and three daughters. Our subject, the third child, has farmed and dealt in stock much of his life, and for several years has been a successful merchant at Jellico. He owns about $15,000 in real estate in this county and in Kentucky. February 16, 1848, Charlotte, a daughter of Stephen Candell, became his wife. She was born in Georgia, December 21, 1829, and died August 6, 1862. She had six sons and three daughters, and but one son deceased. On January 16, 1863, he married Delphia, a daughter of Aaron Hackler, of Campbell County, where she was born in 1834. They have four sons and four daughters. Our subject was three months in Burnside’s Brigade, in the late war. A zealous Baptist from a very early age, our subject was ordained in November, 1867, as a minister, in which capacity he has married about a thousand couples. He has also been a justice, and is a success as a business man.

       A. J. Smith was born in Campbell County, Tenn., February 16, 1832, and is the son of James and Nancy (Meadows) Smith, whose life is mentioned more at length in the sketch of Rev. T. M. Smith. Our subject is the fifth child, and had the advantages of country schools. In 1854 he became the husband of Rachel, a daughter of Ambrose and Lucinda Parks. They have had, besides three sons and three daughters deceased, the following children: Nancy H., Ezriciah, Rachel, Lewis Alvine, Sarah Elizabeth, James Martin, Thomas Jesse, Emma Maria, Lucy, Flora and Hattie. Mr. Smith is one of those who have gathered strength from fighting obstacles, in his business career as a farmer, and part of his life as a merchant also, and has come out successful in the end. He is now located in the Tenth District, one of its most respected citizens, and a member of the Baptist Church.

       A. W. Smith, a farmer, was born in Whitley County, Ky., February 3, 1841, and moved to Campbell County, Tenn., in 1858. He is the son of James and Nancy (Meadors) Smith, who are mentioned more at length in the sketch of Rev. R. M. Smith. Our subject, the ninth of eleven children, was reared on the farm, and educated in the country schools, and has since been a successful farmer and merchant. He is now devoting his attention exclusively to agriculture. In 1860 he married Cyntha, a daughter of William Perkins. They have had, besides a son and daughter deceased, the following children: William, J. S., W. F., H. E., A. F., Scott, Susan, Nannie, Emma and Martha. Our subject now owns about 700 acres. His mercantile life lasted seventeen years, and was attended with marked success. He is now the postmaster at Newcomb, and is a member of the Baptist Church.

       L. J. Stanfill was born in Campbell County, August 22, 1832. He is the son of Samson and Rhoda (Ellison) Stanfill. The father is a native of North Carolina, and was born January 1, 1800. He is a very old and well respected citizen of Campbell County, and has served the county as one of its officials. His wife was a native of North Carolina, and was the mother of a family of nine children, seven sons and two daughters. Our subject is the fifth son, and was reared on the farm and educated in the country schools. He has devoted nearly all his life to farming, and recently suspended farming, and engaged in merchandising at Jellico. However he has been in the mercantile business for a number of years. November 19, 1860, he married Ellen Falkner. The marriage has been blessed by two sons and two daughters; their names are Nannie, William C., Mary Susan and Joshua F. August 18, 1868, the mother of these children died, and left the children to the care of the father, who has been a worthy father, a successful business man and an useful citizen. He commenced with capital and has been a financial success.

       W. M. Stokes, farmer, was born in North Carolina May 31, 1829, the son of Thomas J. and Louisa (Donnelly) Stokes. The father was born in North Carolina in 1799, the son of Montford Stokes, who was for two terms the governor of North Carolina. The latter was a soldier of the Revolution, and was appointed Indian agent by President Jackson. M. S., his son, was a major in the Mexican war, and a colonel in the Confederate Army, and fell before Richmond, Va. Thomas, the father, came to Carter County about 1830, came by Lee County, Va., on his way to Campbell, and remained a year, and then came to Campbell County. At Jacksboro he kept a hotel, taught school, and served in various county offices as deputy. The mother, born in Wilkes County, N. C., in 1809, is the daughter of Richard Donnelly, who came to Carter County about 1800. She lives with her son. Our subject is a lineal descendant of Col. Hugh Montgomery, one of first settlers of Campbell County, and who donated the site of Jacksboro, for the city. After his early farm and school life, our subject began his long career of thirty-five years as a teacher, in 1848, and has now taught more schools than any man in the county, and in the list of his pupils are the father, son and grandson in a certain family. In October, 1863, he enlisted in Company B, Eighty-second, E. M. M. of Missouri, as first lieutenant. He served two years as county school examiner, and, in 1878, was elected superintendent of public instruction for a similar time. June 13, 1858, L. P. Jacks, of Platte County, Mo., became his wife. Her four children are E. Montford Stokes, born June 4, 1861; Mary Louisa Stokes, born July 18, 1868; Leanner Bella Stokes, born August 15, 1866; Rachel Adelaide Stokes, born September 17, 1868. The latter two died in infancy. E. M. and Mary Louisa survives, and are now engaged in teaching. Mr. Stokes is now editor of the Valley Sentinel, published at Jacksboro, Tenn. Our subject taught school the greater part of fourteen years in Platte County, Mo.

       M. D. Wheeler, farmer, was born in Campbell County April 6, 1837, the son of R. D. and Charlotte (Bridgeman) Wheeler, who are mentioned in the sketch of R. D. Wheeler, Jr. Our subject grew up accustomed to the advantages and disadvantages of rural life, and served as a Federal soldier throughout the war. He then returned to his native place, and married Sarah Hunter of Campbell County. James D. and Anna B. are their only children. His wife died July 29, 1868, and September 23, 1875, he married Emma J. Hoss, a daughter of Landon C. Hoss, of Knox County. Robert L., J. H. and Richard R. have been born to them. Mr. Wheeler now owns and cultivates 360 acres, and is also engaged in stock dealing. He is a gauger and store-keeper for the Government at Distillery No. 337, owned by F. Wilson. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, a Master mason and K. of H.

       E. F. Wheeler was born at Caryville, Tenn., April 21, 1840, and is the son of R. D. and Charlotte (Bridgeman) Wheeler. The father was born April 1, 1801, in Virginia, and was the son of Benjamin C. Wheeler, who removed to Knox County when the son was about six years of age. He removed to Campbell County and settled near Caryville in about 1812, being one of the first settlers of the county. Our subject’s father was a farmer, and an influential citizen. He represented his county in the State Legislature a number of years, and died in March, 1875. The mother was born in Virginia in about 1805, and is the daughter of William Bridgeman. Our subject was reared on the farm, and acquired his education in the neighboring school and at Jacksboro. He followed farming until the breaking out of the late war, and in 1862 enlisted in Company A, First Federal Regiment Tennessee Infantry, commanded by Col. Robert Bird. He served throughout the war, and was mustered out of service at Nashville in 1865. He then returned to Campbell County, and has since followed farming, and is one of the largest farmers of the Fourth Civil District, owning and cultivating a farm of over 300 acres one mile east of Jacksboro. He was married in October, 1876 to Anna J. Sharp, who was born in Campbell County, Tenn., in November, 1854, and is the daughter of Henry Sharp. To this union two children have been born, one of whom -- Ada -- is living. She was born September 4, 1884. Our subject’s wife is a member of the Methodist Church South.

       R. D. Wheeler, Jr., was born in Campbell County, Tenn., August 30, 1846, and he is the son of R. D. and Charlotte (Bridgeman) Wheeler. The father was a native of Virginia, and was born April 1, 1801, and died n Campbell County, March 19, 1875. The mother was born in Wythe County, Va., September 23, 1807, and is in a hale old age, living with our subject (1887). These parents were married August 31, 1826, and to their marriage were born ten sons and four daughters, our subject being the twelfth child, and eighth son. Of these children, seven live (1887)-- six sons and one daughter, all married, and have families. The father was a prominent citizen of Tennessee, and served seven terms in the Lower House of the Tennessee Legislature, and early in life served his county as its sheriff. He was a man of liberal and broad views, and was a man who assisted many charitable institutions. He commenced his life pursuits without capital, but by integrity and perseverance he scaled the height of want of a capital, and became one of the wealthiest men of his county, before his death. It is to his credit that, though he, at the outbreak of the civil war, owned more than a 1,000 acres of land, he tilled, not by slave labor, but by free labor. He was a man who favored education, and accomplished, giving all his children a good education. Our subject was reared to farming and has devoted most of his life to farming and stock raising. He now owns and cultivates a farm of more than 200 acres of land in his district. He has served his county, as sheriff, two term. September 29, 1880, he was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Sharp. To this marriage has been born one child, a son, named Charles Alexander, born Mary 16, 1881. Our subject is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and is a Master Mason.

       Lewis Wilson, register of Campbell County, and one of the leading citizens of Jacksboro, Tenn., was born in the above county, November 8, 1845, and is the son of Henry and Sarah (Fleming) Wilson. The father was born in Campbell County, in October, 1821, and is the son of Jeremiah Wilson, a native of North Carolina. The father has followed farming as a vocation, and is now a citizen of the Fourth Civil District. The mother was born in December, in 1822, in Campbell County, and is still living. Both parents are members of the Baptist Church, and are esteemed, and respected as worthy citizens and neighbors. Our subject was reared on the farm of his parents, and attended school in the neighboring schools, and at Big Creek school, and finished his education at Fincastle. He worked on the farm, and with his father at the iron forges, in his native county, until the breaking our of the Rebellion. In March, 1863 he enlisted in the Federal Army, in Kentucky, joining Company F, of the Sixth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and served through the war with the same, and was discharged at Nashville, in July, 1865. He then returned to the farm, in Campbell County, where he worked faithfully and attended school. While engaged in play at school, he met with an accident, which left him cripple for life. He has since followed school teaching, and was elected, in August, 1882, to the office of county register, and re-elected in 1886, which office he fills with satisfaction to the public and himself. He is a member of the Milton L. Phillips Post, No. 27, G. A. R., and is a man universally respected for his integrity and enterprise. He is also a member of the Baptist Church.

       A. D. Woodson was born in Lee County, Va., November 13, 1846, and is the son of William and Annie (Pebly) Woodson. The father was born in Russell County, Va., in 1801, and was the son of John Woodson, a native of Virginia. The latter was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and was quite prominent in his day. He removed to Claiborne County, Tenn., where he followed farming, and died after a long and useful life. William, the father of our subject, removed to Campbell County early in life, and farmed in Powell’s Valley for a number of years, and then returned to Lee County, Va., where he followed farming until his death in 1884. The mother was born in Campbell County, Tenn., in 1811, and died in 1884. Both were members of the Baptist Church, and were religious, plain people, respected and esteemed by all who knew them. Our subject was reared on the farm, and attended school at Fincastle, Clinton, and Tazewell, securing a good practical education. He has followed farming as an occupation, and has made a decided success of the farm in Powell’s Valley, embracing about 600 acres. He is a liberal-minded and progressive citizen, and has always been a warm friend and advocate of education is better than riches. He stands high in the estimation of his fellowmen, and, though frequently solicited to seek public office, has always declined to do so, preferring the quiet life of a farmer. He was married on March 12, 1867, to Mossie Kincaid, who was born in Campbell County, Tenn., in 1851, and is the daughter of the late Col. John Kincaid, one of the most prominent citizens of the county. To this union eight children have been born, one of whom is dead, having met his death accidentally while hunting. Both our subject and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.


Goodspeed’s Campbell County History Page

Goodspeed’s Table of Contents Page

Campbell County TNGenWeb Home Page

This page last updated on Wednesday, August 12, 2015