Sanders & Foster Nursery
DeKalb County's first nursery was begun in 1881 by F. P. Sanders about 2 miles south of Smithville.
W. B. Foster had become a partner when this was made in 1900.
W. B. Foster is the third from the left. The rest are unidentified.
Many others continued growing fruit trees and other nursery items for sale in the area south of Smithville and on into Warren County. Between 1900 and 1950, many men around Smithville made a living by traveling to other states as salesmen for these nurseries, and some still do.
Go back to Pictoral History page
Return to the index page