The Oldest Village.
this country still a wilderness. . . . He helped to cut away the cane and underbrush to construct the first road to Liberty, the work consuming a period of nineteen days for a number of hands." We may assume that there were roads a short distance eastward from Nashville, but it may be taken as true that a part of the fifty-six miles to Liberty was almost primeval forest. Doubtless game and fish abounded, and these occupied Dale's mind by day; but the snarl of the bobcat or other noises of the night, together with the solemnity of the great woods, were necessarily spirit-depressing, even if he had no fears of Indians.
County, Md., July 14, 1768. He was a boy volunteer of the Revolution. In 1781 this company of boys from fourteen to sixteen years was raised in Snow Hill, Md., to oppose the progress of Cornwallis through Virginia. Receiving land grants with his father, Thomas Dale, for service, he settled in Liberty, Tenn., in 1797, after having married Mary Hall February 24, 1790. He raised, equipped, and commanded a company of volunteers from Smith (DeKalb) County and fought under Jackson at Horseshoe Bend and other battles of the War of 1812. Removing to Columbia, Tenn., in 1829, he died at Hazel Green, Ala., October 14, 1851, and was buried there. His wife died in 1859 in Columbia. To this couple were born ten children.
landers. Josiah Duncan married a daughter of Thomas; while another, Sophia, was the wife of William Givan. There are many descendants of these Dales in Tennessee and other States. Among them is Mrs. H. P. Figuers, of Columbia, whose father, W. J. Dale, was born in Smith (DeKalb) County in 1811 and removed to Maury County in 1822. Another is Mrs. Bertha L. Chapman, of Alexandria. She has a Bible containing these entries:
son-in-law, Josiah Duncan, was settled on the land last owned by the W. G. Bratten heirs. Erecting a house on the farm now owned by George Givan, a mile south of Liberty, he died before moving to it. His widow, with his son-in-law, William Givan, removed to the farm, and it is in the possession of the Givan family in 1914. In the family graveyard in the rear is a limestone slab with this legend: "In memory of Thomas Dale, born March 5, 1744; died January 6, 1812."
came with the Maryland settlers. All three were carpenters. Other pioneer merchants were Fite & Duncan, Ben Blades, Joshua Bratten, and Moore Price.
Wright's daybook are: J. G. Roulstone, S. J. Garrison, David L. Ray, W. C. Garrison, Lemuel H. Bethel, David Fite, Reuben Evans, Eli A. Fisher, M. A. Fricks, German Gossett, Francis Turner, G. Shehane, Henry Fite, Charles Jenkins, James Stanford, George L. Givan, John Floyd, Zach Williamson, Brackett Estes, John L. Strong, Joel N. West, John Stark, Peter Hays, Joshua Bratten, B. F. Wood, T. W. Duncan, James Wilder, Moses Fite, Joseph Cameron, Louis Y. Davis, Thomas Allan, Lem D. Evans, Richard Arnold, Matthew Simpson, John Little, John Griffith, James Bayne, William Boyd, Joseph Fite, Alfred Wallace, Capt. William S. Boswell, David Thompson, Thomas Allan, David Fricks, Richard McGinnis, John Stark, John Hays, John E. Dale, W. T. Cochran, Wyatt Pistole, Shadrick Trammel, Moses Spencer, Thomas and Moses Pack, Shadrick Kelley, Tilman Bethel, Lewis Parker, Milka Strong, Rev. William Dale, James Pendleton, Capt. Joseph Evans, Aaron Davis, Moses Allen, Capt. James Spurlock, Alex Armstrong, David Dirting, John Owen, Nancy Kelly, Mrs. Mary Hart, Henry Hart, P. W. Brien, William A. Wisner, George Barnes, Joseph Snow, Henry Horn, Rev. James Evans, George Foster, Hugh Smith, Joseph Atnip, R. H. Parkison, John Martin, Nancy Givan, William Blair, Charles Hancock, Luke McDowell, Lewis Parker, John Hollandsworth, Jordan Sellars, James Baity, Benjamin Clark, Dempsy Taylor, Archibald McDougle, Benjamin Goodson, Lemuel Moore, Abner Evans, Leonard Fite, Richard Bennett, Isaac Pack, George A. Rich, Smith Brien, Peter Tur-
ney, Augustin Vick, Thomas Underwood, Nathan Wade, John Candler, James Carney, Wingate Truitt, Littleberry Vick, Leonard Lamberson, James Perryman, Lewis Ford, William Estes, Wiley Wilder, Crag Parsons, Leven Gray, William Brazwell, William Carroll, Alfred Wales, Thomas West, A. W. Ford, William Measles, Harriet C. Roulstone, John Conger, Joshua Ford, Wiley J. Melton, Samuel Hays, James Robinson, Mathias S. West, John Frazier, Alex Dillard, Friday Martin, Robert Wilson, Samuel Bryson, James Yeargin, D. H. Burton, Benjamin Avant, Edward Sullivant, James Pistole, Washington Gossett, William Gossett, S. C. Porterfield, Gideon B. York, Green Arnold, Tilman Foster, Mrs. Kesiah Alexander, Thomas Bratten, U. G. Gossett, Moses Mathews, Sophia Givan, David H. Burton, Ed Evans, Gilbert Williams, Samuel Williams, Silas Cooper, John R. Dougherty, Goulding Foster, J. M. Farrington, John Reed, Mikel V. Ethridge, Dr. Samuel Tittle, Moses Spencer, Emerson M. Hill, Edmund T. Goggin, Giles Driver, P. C. Watson, Bryant Spradley, Peter Reynolds, Josiah Spurlock, Jonathan Fuston, John Curtis, Nathan Evans, A. Overall, J. A. Wilson, Thomas Bratten, O. M. Garrison, Matthew Sellars, Joab Hale, John Burton, W. H. Burton, Thomas Taylor, Sally Evans, Welles Adamson, W. A. Nesmith, Acenith Fite, Washington Bayne, Lee Brazwell, Coleman Johnson, James Bayne, Thomas Close, W. B. Stokes, Jane Lawrence, Joseph Hendrickson, Lewis Stark, Phillips Cooper, Henry McMullin, Sally Woodside, Robin Forester, Cantrell Bethel, Jesse B.
Jones, Col. James Tubb, Jacob Page, Thomas Pack, John Dodd, William Botts, Thomas Whaley, Jacob Overall, John M. Leek, Adam Bratten, Abe Adams, Benjamin Pritchard, Isaac Bratten, Gilbert Williams, Nancy Burton, George Grizzle, Onessimus Evans, W. S. Scott, Joseph Evans, Solomon Davis, Edwin Shumway, John Merritt, Matthew McLane, Benjamin Blades, F. S. Anderson, and Randall Pafford.
In a gossipy letter Dr. Foster names some of the residents of about 1850: Mr. Dean (blacksmith), Dr. J. R. Dougherty, Joshua Bratten and his son James, Dr. J. H. Fuson, Dr. J. A. Baird, Aunt Sallie Bratten, Len Moore, Bill Thompson (blacksmith), Jim Crook (wagon maker), Leonard and Clint Lamberson, William Youngblood, Dr. G. C. Flowers, Isaac Whaley, Tom Price, Elijah Strong, J. P., Bob, Hilary, and other Dales, Frederick Jones (tailor), W. G. Foster, Arthur Worley, U. D. Gossett, Ben Blades, Eli Vick, Seth Whaley, James Hollandsworth, John Woodsides, William Gothard, Bill Avant (tanner), John Evans, John Reid, and John Perryman. Dr. Foster adds:
was a ten-year-old boy, changes were going on, of course. The physicians were George C. Flowers, E. Wright, John A. Baird, Horace Sneed, Samuel Little, J. A. Fuson, and J. R. Dougherty, with Tilman Bethel, a steam doctor, living a mile or two west. The magistrates for that district were Reuben Evans and Joe Clarke. The constables were William Blackburn and Josiah Youngblood. Church Anderson was one of the merchants. The blacksmiths were Bill Thompson and Greene Perryman, but preceding them were Goolsberry Blades and a man named Brooks. Later smiths were W. G. Evans and Bill Givan; miller, "Chunky" Joe Hays (who was not chunky), his wife being Aunt Sukey, mother of Mrs. William Blackburn; shoemaker, John Woodside; saddlers, W. G. Foster, U.D. Gossett, John A. Carroll, George Warren, G. F. Bowers, and others; saloon keeper, James G. Fuston; cabinet workmen, James Hollandsworth, Bob Burton, and Isaac Whaley; brickmason, Berry Driver; tailors, Joe Perryman and Len Moore. The Lamberson boys were also millers, running the old Dale water mill. Liberty had a horse saw mill and a rope factory - the latter about where the tanyard was afterwards. Wagon makers were Jim Crook and Perry Wells. Perry and Jim Wells put up a store on Dismal Creek after the Clay and Frelinghuysen canvass, and some one got off this doggerel:
thence south to the beginning; provided that the west boundary shall not include any of the land owned by Leonard Lamberson.
at Haysboro, Davidson County, Tenn., and shows that postal rates were high.
peace came. For many years the patronage of this mill was very great. Among those who have been connected with it since the war were: E. W. Bass, Jep Williams, George Wood, L. N. Woodside, J. H. Overall, John L. Lamberson, and George Bradley.
became very popular in DeKalb and surrounding counties.
A. L. Reynolds, A. J. Williams, J. E. Hobson, J. L. Lamberson, W. L. Evans, and S. J. Chapman. H. M. Evans, T. M. Bright, and C. G. Givan, as finance committee, have served since the organization.
wild rose. No one walks there to meditate over the departed. A century ago children's voices were heard, and relatives of the dead walked among the tombs to pay the tribute of a sigh. Now nobody cares. James H. Burton writes: "My grandfathers, Ebenezer Burton and John S. Woodside, my father and mother, W. H. and Nancy Burton, and Uncle John Woodside are buried there." H. L. Hale writes: "Few names on the two or three tombs are legible. On a little 'house of rock,' the last home evidently of a husband and wife, this only could be read: ' ----- Daugherty. Born 1770, died 1828.' Near by was this: ' Caroline Arnold. Died July 22, 1828.' On another tomb: ' D.E.S. Kenner. Died December 4, 1809; age seventy-seven years.' One other: ' Nancy Fite, born 1805; died July 22, 1828.' Judging from the grave of D.E.S. Kenner, the cemetery was used at least one hundred and five years ago, and the slumberer was born the same year Washington was, 1732."
Go to Chapter 4
Return to Index Page
Return to the Dekalb County Page