The Methodist Church was first formed at Mason’s Grove before 1885. One of the founders was David Brandenburg. The church was later moved to Gadsden and located South of the railroad near where Mr. and Mrs. Guy Renfro now live. Later the congregation built a small frame building up on the highway. A few years ago a big, beautiful brick Church was erected on the highway location. Some of the families attending there now bear the names of Byrd, Mitchell, Emison, Williams, Leggett, Nelson, Young, Lowery, Antwine, Heglar, Burrow, Davis, Simmons, Holyfield. The oldest members are Mrs. Zach Mitchell and Mrs. Ness Persell. The official church board at this time consists of Merlin Leggett, Clyde Byrd, Thomas M. Williams, Jessie Lee Antwine, W. F. Latham, Theo Mitchell, and Billy Booker.
The preceding article was contributed, with permission of the Crockett County Historical Society, by Natalie Huntley.
This information was taken from an article on Gadsden, which was compiled and written by Mrs. C. C. James, and published in the book Crockett County Courthouse Centennial, 1874 – 1974, prepared by the Crockett County Historical Society.