Cocke County, TNGenWeb
Nave Family


Submitted by Arian

The Nave Family

On May 14, 1796, John Nave of Jefferson County, Tenn., conveyed to his son Jacob Nave of Jefferson County, a tract of land on Pigeon River in Jefferson County, adjoining Henry Nave's property line, according to Whitley.

Carter County tax lists of 1796 include Teter Nave, with 200 acres; John Nave, with 100 acres; and Abraham Nave (probably Teter's son), with 50 acres, according to Creekmore. Carter County tax lists of 1797 also include Teter, John and Abraham Nave.

Cocke County, located at the foot of the Great Smokey Mountains, was created by an act of the state's general assembly on Oct. 9, 1797, from part of Jefferson County. It was named after William Cocke, a prominent military leader, civil officer and land owner in Tennessee. He was also one of the first two U.S. senators from Tennessee. On Feb. 5, 1799, John Nave Sr. of Cocke County conveyed to his son John Nave Jr. of Cocke County, land on Pigeon River, adjoining Henry Nave's part of the original grant No. 1067, for 100 Virginia money, according to Whitley.

In 1800, John Nave is listed on the Jefferson County tax list as being part of Capt. Turner's Company, with 200 acres, one white poll and one black poll. John Nave is listed on Aug. 6, 1800 as owning land on Big Pigeon River.

Jefferson County court minutes of 1807-10 show a bill of sale from John Nave Sr. to John Nave Jr.

On April 20, 1808, John Nave Jr. purchased Grant No. 3 of 187 acres in Cocke County on Big Pigeon River near Jacob Nave's property, crossing Sevierville Road to Newport to Henry Nave's line to Sinking Creek on Nave's Road.

Several Naves from Tennessee are listed as serving in the War of 1812 including:

The South was a major concern during the war, not only because of the threat of the British invading, but also from Creeks who sided with the British and attacked American forts and outposts and then would often escape across the border into Florida, then part of the Spanish empire. In response to the threats, the Tennessee Legislature authorized Gov. William Blount to call out 3,500 volunteers in addition to 1,500 militia already in service.

Gen. Andrew Jackson had been commissioned earlier by Blount, and the future president met the full militia on Oct. 7, 1813, in Fayetteville, XXXX. At the same time, Gen. John Cocke, with a division of 2,500 from East Tennessee, arrived in Knoxville, Tenn. Attacking at Tallassahatche, Jackson defeated a band of Creeks, killing 186. Following the slaughter, the Hillabee Indians, who lived along the Tallapoosa River, sued for peace, which Jackson accepted. Cocke, unaware of the negotiations, advanced from Fort Armstrong and attacked and burned three Hillabee towns, killing 60 warriors. The Hillabees felt betrayed and Jackson was furious upon hearing the news.

Cocke's army joined Jackson's forces and continued to Strother, xxx., but Jackson soon sent Cocke back to Tennessee to recruit a new army. Shortly after New Year's, 900 Tennessee volunteers arrived and a new attack on the Creeks was made on Jan. 15, resulting in another victory. By Feb. 6, Jackson had of 5,000. Some Tennessee volunteers were unhappy with their conditions and openly expressed their discontent. Jackson perceived this as insubordination and took several steps stamping out the problem. When he learned that Cocke was sympathetic toward their complaints, Jackson relieved him of his command and had him arrested.

Learning that 900 Creek warriors with 300 women and children had fortified a position on the Tallapoosa River called Tohopeka, Jackson attacked on March 27. Col. John Coffee's cavalry set fire to the Creeks' rampart made of logs. Jackson stormed the ramparts with the 39th Infantry, supported by a brigade from East Tennessee. The infantry's leader, Maj. L.P. Montgomery, was fatally wounded in the attack and Ensign Sam Houston took his place. The Creeks were overwhelmed with about 700 warriors killed. In comparison, only 32 of Jackson's men were killed. The battle sealed the fate of the Creeks.

With the resignation of Gen. William Henry Harrison, Jackson was appointed commander of the 7th Military District, headquartered in Mobile, Ala. On Oct. 25, 1813, Gen. Coffee arrived at Mobile with a newly raised Tennessee brigade bringing Jackson's forces to about 4,000. The British had taken over two forts near Pensacola and Jackson decided to go there and face the enemy. He arrived near Pensacola with an army of 3,000, made up of two regiments of regulars, Tennessee volunteers and militiamen, and an attachment of Choctaw Indians. They attacked and overwhelmed Fort St. Michael. The British destroyed Ft. Baracas after evacuating it. With the British gone, Jackson returned to Mobile and soon turned his attention to New Orleans.

In 1818, John Nave of Jefferson County acted as attorney for his son-in-law Daniel Thornton in selling 88 acres in Jefferson County on Muddy Creek to John Rader of Greene County. Isaac Nave signed as a witness to the deal.

In the June 19, 1821, issue of the Knoxville Register there is a list of land to be sold Aug. 6, 1821, in pursuance to law passed Oct. 19, 1819, in the town of Dandridge, per M. Nelson, E.T. In Jefferson County it lists, "A tract of land granted to John Nave containing 130 acres in Jefferson County and the south of the Holston and French Broad." John Nave is listed as a taxpayer in Cocke County in 1821.

In 1824, Grant No. 10143 was sold to John Neff (Nave) for 56 acres on the west side of Pigeon River in Cocke County. That same year, Grant No. 10160 was sold to John Neff for 50 acres on waters of Sinking Creek in Cocke County.

John Nave Sr. is believed to have died in Jefferson County about 1825.

John Nave Jr., born about 1763, in Mecklenburg County, N.C., married, first, Susan Good (or Gut) about 1786 in Greene County, N.C. They had six children, all of whom relocated to Missouri with their respective families. After Susan died, John Jr. remarried to Mary Catherine Derick, but they had no children. John Jr. died about 1836 in Cocke County.

John Jr.'s hobby was brick making, and his home was built where the Gorman House now stands. One day he drove his team of horses to Morrell Mill, on Morrell Spring, south of Newport in Cocke County. When the horses became frightened and began running toward a huge tree, one horse went to the left and the other to the right. This stopped them, and John Jr. realized that the tree being there probably saved his life. He was so thankful that his dying request was that he be buried beneath the tree with a brick tomb over him. His family built a temporary wood frame structure over him, but then soon after left for Missouri. Years later, when the dilapidated tomb was brought to the attention of neighbors, they wrote to a son in Missouri who had a mason construct a brick vault. It still stands mile west of Newport, near the bridge, about 15 feet wide and 7 feet in height.

John Jr. and Susan Nave's children included:

Jacob Nave, born about 1775, married Elizabeth Adams in Tennessee, and they had 11 children. He may have been the Jacob Nave who served in the War of 1812 as a private in the 2nd Regiment Mounted Gunmen (Brown's) East Tennessee Volunteers. It is unknown when Jacob came to Missouri, but he probably brought his family to Saline County around 1820 to join relatives living there. Jacob died April 23, 1833, in Lafayette County, Mo.


All Rights Reserved. The information contained within this web site, may be used by individual researchers, libraries and genealogical societies, however, commercial or for-profit use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright notice, must appear with the information. The copyright of the actual information, documents or images contained here is held by the submitter.

BACK TO TOP