Submitted by Jeanne Bornefeld
Matthew Maddux m. Dicy Guinn 12 May 1814 (no public records of the marriage) in Cocke County, TN.
(Information given in her widow's pension application) He d. 24 March 1832, Millcreek Township, Veedersburg, Fountain County, Indiana. Buried in Bonebrake Cemetery, Veedersburg, Fountain County, Indiana.
Matthew married Dicy Guinn, b ca 1793, in Virginia. She died 3 Nov 1876 at Concordia, Cloud County, Kansas. In 1860, she made a declaration in the Territory of Kansas at Leavenworth. In 1874, 13 March she is living at Spring Hill, Livingston County, Missouri. She was granted a widow's pension as Dicey Maddox, widow of Mathew Maddox. Company Capt. B. Jones of the Tennessee Militia in the War of 1812 at the Topeka Agency. Her certificate is dated 11 June 1874: "The letter of the company I do not remember nor the number of the regiment, nor the number of the Brigade, The division was commanded by General Andrew Jackson. Cannot say at what point he was discharged and I have not the discharge papers. The day and month of marriage I have forgotten." She says she was married under the name of "Dicy Gwyn" to said "Mathew Maddox" by "Bartholomew Gwyn". She says her husband died at Fountain County Indiana in May 1833. This deposition was given at Spring Hill, Livingston County, Missouri. (It looks like she tried to write her name and a mark was made for her.)
On the 27th of Feb 1860, Bartlett M. Maddox swore that he was acquainted with Dicy Maddox and in her bible printed in 1824 it says, "Mathew Maddox and Dicy Guinn was married on the 12th day of May 1811 and the said Matthew Maddox died on the 4the day of March 1822. Signed, Bartlett M. Maddox." On another affidavit it says that George R Maddox and Bartlet M. Maddox swore Mathew Maddox died 24 March 1832
"Pleas begun and held before the Hon. Mitchell C. Black, Judge of the Probate Court of the County of Fountain in the State of Indiana at the Court House in said county at this November Term One thousand eight hundred and thirty five."
"Be it remembered that on the twenty seventh day of may one thousand eight hundred and thirty four, letters of Administration on the Estate of Matthew Maddux were granted to Dicy Maddux and she filed the bond which bond is in the words and figures following to wit: Know all men by these presents that we Dicy Maddux, Merick Sayer, and John Dice all of Fountain County are held and firmly bound unto the State of Indiana in the sum of four hundred dollars to the payment of which will and duly be made and done we bind ourselves heirs Executors and Administrators jointly and severally firmly by these presents sealed with our seals and dated this twenty seventh day of May one thousand eight hundred and thirty four. The condition of the above obligation is such that if the above bound Dicy Maddux will truly and faithfully perform the duties of administratrix of the estate of Matthew Maddux deceased according to law then the above obligation is to be void and of none effect else to be and remain in full for and virtue in Law.
John Dice. Seal.
W. B. White"
Next is listed his goods and chattels. There is a note owed to Matthew Maddux of $50.00 by Morgan Hawkins.
Children of Matthew Maddox and Dicy Guinn are: Dicy Ann, John, George R., Lucinda L., Elizabeth, Leana, Rebecca Ann, Lewis S., Matthew, Bartlett M.:
- Dicy Ann m John H. Swift, 10 April 1845, Warren, IL. She was born Fleming Co., KY ca 1817.
- John Maddox m Lavina May Swift, 17 Nov 1842, Danville, Vermillion Co., IL. He was b ca 1820 Fleming Co. KY and died 28 Oct 1864 at Davenport, IA.
- George R. m Delilah Garner 23 may 1885 at Concordia, Cloud Co., KS. He was b ca 1821 Fleming Co. KY and died 25 Mar 1902 Concordia, Cloud Co. KS.
- Lucinda L. m James H. McDonald, 3 April 1842 in Fountain Co., IN. She was born in KY.
- Elizabeth m Chapman D. Swift, 1840, Vermillion Co, IL. and died ca 1852.
- Leana m Richard R. Gunter, 8 Dec 1854 at Attica, Marion Co., Iowa. She was born in Fountain Co., IN.
- Lewis S. m 1) Grace Inman, 1 Feb 1870; 2) Margaret Jones; and 3) Harriet Robinson. He was b 21 Feb 1830 Fleming Co., KY and d 24 May 1909 at Kingfisher, OK.
- Matthew m Martha Jane Henderson, 1 Sept 1850 in Fountain Co., IN. He was b 15 April 1828 in Fleming Co. KY and d 19 July 1909 Concordia, Cloud Co. KS.
- Bartlett M. m Nancy Cade 9 Nov 1837 Vermillion Co., IL; and second Barbara Livingood. He was born 12 Nov 1815 Fleming Co KY and died 27 Feb 1895 Cloud Co., KS.
All Rights Reserved. The information contained within this web site, may be used by individual researchers, libraries and genealogical societies, however, commercial or for-profit use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright notice, must appear with the information. The copyright of the actual information, documents or images contained here is held by the submitter.