Cocke County TNGenWeb
McGaha Civil War Pension Files
John G. McGaha -
- Also John G. Magaha
- Co. K, 11th Regiment, TN Cavalry Volunteers; Co.
9th Regiment, TN Cavalry Volunteers
- Submitted 07/13/1890>
- Resides in Cosby, Cocke Co.
- Could not prove his exact date of birth
- "...he enlisted under the name of John J. Magala
on 10/10/1863 in Co. K, 11th TN Cavalry, transferred to Co. K, 9th TN
Cavalry and was discharged from there on 09/11/1865"
- Wife Lucresy Tittle, married by James Baxter
- Living children: Mary born 1852, Samuel born 1854, Isaac B.
born 1856, Nancy born 1861, Elizabeth born 1867, Sarah
born 1872, Cathren
- Died in Fall of 1906
- 07/29/1867, age 32, resident of 12th Civil
District of Cocke County
- Co. A, 2nd TN Volunteer Cavalry
- Widow Harriet
McGaha died 09/11/1913; pension #509,718
- Robert died 03/26/1900
- Married 10/20/1855 by Wm. N. Smith, MG, at or
- Wife: Harriet McGaha,
formerly Harriet James,
his only marriage
- Living children: James born
- 01/28/1884, age 48, enrolled 11/01/1862 in Co.
A, 2nd Regiment TN Volunteer Cavalry; discharged in Vicksburg on
05/24/1865; 5'6", fair complexion, dark hair, blue eyes; his
Post Office was Costner; he was a farmer
- Harriet died in the home of her son, Joel F.
cancer of the jaw; she was buried in Dennis Grave Yard.
- Joel's address was RR2, Cosby
Co. E, 2nt TN Cavalry Volunteers
- discharged 07/05/1865
- 04/26/1908, Izard Co., AR, Bigspring Township,
- served from 09/16/1862 to close of war
- 5'9", fair complexion, black eyes, fair hair;
- born 02/18/1838 in Cocke County, TN
- move to Arkansas in 1904
- Barren Fork PO, Izard Co., AR
- Wife: Mary Johnson,
married 04/29/1861 in Cosby by William Garver, Esq.; no other marriage
- Living children: Ulysses G. born
02/06/1868; Nancy E.
- Died 09/25/1925 at Mt. Pleasant, AR and buried
at Barren Fork Cemetery
- Mary died 07/25/1901 [NOTE: This date
- Death certificate in pension file:
place of birth, Cosby; father, Robert McGaha;
Linia, Sarah, Hannah)
- F.G. McGaha, guardian of the minor children of
Samuel McGaha, who was a private of Co. E, 2nd Regiment, TN Cavalry
McGaha, mother of the children, died on or about
04/18/1857 and that Samuel McGaha did not remarry after the death of
his wife Jane McGaha [this is incorrect; he did remarry]
- [recorded in Jefferson Co., TN] Agnes Roberts and Lucy
Large of Cocke
Co. were both present at the dates of births of the following named
children of Samuel McGaha:
Margaret, born 11/16/1850; Lavina, born
04/09/1852; Sarah A.,
born 10/11/1853; Hanah,
- pension file includes a copy of the marriage
license of Samuel
McGaughy and Amanda
Tucker, dated 05/12/1860; from Sevier Co.
- State of South Carolina, Greenville Co. - Amanda Magathey,
widow of Sam'l Magatha - 07/26/1905 - She had lived in the city some
thirty years; raised three small girls, daughters of her deceased
daughter, Rebecca J. Mays;
her son-in-law, Benj.
Mays. She came to this city claiming to have
come from near Brevard Court House in NC and always claimed her
husband, Sam'l Magatha, was born and raised in Cock County, Tennessee,
and died from disease while in the Federal army, in the Federal
Hospital at Nashville, TN.
- 09/27/1880 - Amanda
McGaha, widow of Sam'l McGaha, swore that the children of
her late husband by his former wife never lived with her but were taken
to another county by their relations before she married and she had no
record of them.
- 07/26/1880 - Amanda
McGaha swore that her husband, Samuel McGaha, had six
children by his former wife: William,
Elizabeth, Sarah A., Margaret, Hannah, and Jackson; all of them
are dead except two; she does not know the names of the two living.
She had two children by Samuel: Rebecca Jane, born
02/11/1861 in Transylvania County, NC; Pheby, born
07/09/1862 in Cocke County, TN.
McGaha swore that Samuel told her that he had five
children by his first wife. She saw three of them in Cocke
Hannah, and Margaret.
The other two lived in Blount County. Her children
are Rebecca Jane and
McGaha died 04/06/1864 of measles.
Neighbors W.H. Tritt, Joseph Campbell, John Sutton, and James Dorsey
testify Eliza has not remarried, 11/20/1882; Post Office was Cosby.
- 03/16/1882, Ritty
Large and Mary
McGaha testify they were at the marriage of Eliza and
John, who were married by George Harper, who moved west and is reported
- Co. E, 2nd Reg., TN Cavalry Volunteers
- Children under 16: William A., born
04/12/1866; Albert L.,
born 06/02/1868; Mary,
born 10/15/1870; Burton,
- Lived in Cosby, Cocke County
McGaha and Ritty
Large were present at the marriage of John and Eliza on
10/16/1859 by George Harper
- John died 12/20/1881; Eliza died 03/02/1909
All Rights Reserved. The
information contained within this web site, may be used by
individual researchers, libraries
and genealogical societies, however, commercial or for-profit use of
is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this
notice, must appear with the information. The copyright of the
information, documents or images contained here is held by the