Submitted by Charlotte Rhome
My Cocke County roots began in 1808 when FRANCIS JACKSON CARTER son of Revolutionary War CAPTAIN GEORGE CARTER and MARY CRAIG came with his father from VA and settled in the Dutch Bottom area of Cocke Co. George Carter married a 2nd time in 1804 or 1805 to MARY CALFEE, the widow of WILLIAM CALFEE of VA I don't know if she was still alive and settled in Cocke Co. with the Captain or not. Captain George Carter died abt 1810 and is buried in the Union Baptist Church Cemetery in Cocke Co.
FRANCIS JACKSON CARTER married ESTHER CROCKETT in 1792 in Wythe Co. VA. The Book, Tennessee Cousins states "FRANCIS J. CARTER married Esther Crockett, dau. of JAMES CROCKETT (son of SAMUEL CROCKETT and ESTHER THOMPSON), lived in Cocke Co. and was a trustee of Anderson Academy, which was opened about 1820 about one mile south of Old Newport".
According to research compiled by Janice Hale, FRANCIS died in a storm on the Mississippi River in 1830.
ESTHER apparently never remarried and is shown on the 1850 and 1860 census in the household of son William, his wife Elizabeth and her daughter JANE EVANS b. abt. 1846. William and Elizabeth had a daughter named ESTHER born abt. 1852.
There is a STEPHEN CARTER living next door to George. The age listed is the same as EPHRIAM in the genealogy. I have no proof, but believe they are one and the same as I have found no other EPHRIAM or STEPHEN.
Son GEORGE WASHINGTON CARTER m. NANCY ?. They are listed in the 1850 Cocke Co. census with children JULIET 18, EMELINE 14, FRANCIS J. 12, GEORGE 10, REBECCA 7, and (DAVID) CROCKETT 1. Also listed is NANCY FISHER 33.
The 1860 census shows additional siblings MARY 9, ROBERT 7 and ELIZABETH 5, as well as some changes in age for some of the children. REBECCA is no longer listed and it is assumed she has already married JAMES ALLEN, Sr. who was probably from Cocke Co. also. Since one of their sons is named JAMES REUBEN ALLEN, it is probably the second name of his father also. REBECCA and her husband, JAMES ALLEN and children left TN around 1870. JAMES ALLEN died in Jackson Co. MO and her brother, CROCKETT, brought the family to TX about 1873, where most of them remain.
1. FRANCIS JACKSON2 CARTER (GEORGE1) was born abt. 1774, and died 1830 in Mississippi River. He married ESTHER CROCKETT February 13, 1798 in Wythe, VA, daughter of JAMES CROCKETT and MARY DRAKE.
- Children of FRANCIS CARTER and ESTHER CROCKETT are:
- i. GEORGE3 CARTER
- 2. ii. GEORGE W. CARTER, b. abt. 1809; d. bef. 1870
- 3. iii. WILLIAM CARTER, b. abt. 1810
- iv. EPHRIAM CARTER, b. abt. 1813
- v. CROCKETT CARTER
- vi. JAMES CARTER
- vii. SARAH CARTER
- viii. MARY CARTER
- ix. THERESA CARTER
- x. JULIET CARTER
- xi. EDITH CARTER
- xii. ELIZABETH CARTER
2. GEORGE W.3 CARTER (FRANCIS JACKSON2, GEORGE1) was born abt. 1809, and died bef. 1870. He married NANCY.
- Children of GEORGE CARTER and NANCY are:
- i. JULIET4 CARTER, b. abt. 1836
- ii. EMALINE CARTER, b. abt. 1838
- iii. FRANCIS J. CARTER, b. abt. 1839
- iv. GEORGE CARTER, b. abt. 1841
- 4. v. REBECCA CARTER, b. July 1844, Cocke Co. TN; d. Unknown, Terrell, TX
- vi. DAVID CROCKETT CARTER, b. abt. 1850; d. unknown
- vii. MARY CARTER, b. abt. 1851
- viii. ROBERT CARTER, b. abt. 1853
- ix. ELIZABETH CARTER, b. abt. 1855
3. WILLIAM3 CARTER (FRANCIS JACKSON2, GEORGE1) was born abt. 1810. He married ELIZABETH abt. 1849.
- Child of WILLIAM CARTER and ELIZABETH is:
- i. ESTHER4 CARTER, b. abt. 1852
4. REBECCA4 CARTER (GEORGE W.3, FRANCIS JACKSON2, GEORGE1) was born July 1844 in Cocke Co. TN, and died unknown in Terrell,TX. She married (1) JAMES REUBEN ALLEN in Cocke County, TN. She married (2) JIM EUBANKS abt. 1876.
- Children of REBECCA CARTER and JAMES ALLEN are:
- i. EMMA CARTER5 ALLEN, b. January 27, 1872, Jackson Co. MO; d. January 22, 1930; m. VIRGIL TUCKER, June 03, 1896
- ii. ROSA LEE ALLEN, b. May 1862, TN; m. ANDREW PETERS
- iii. JAMES REUBEN ALLEN
- iv. EPHRAM HORACE ALLEN
- v. ANNIE MARY ALLEN
- Children of REBECCA CARTER and JIM EUBANKS are:
- vi. CHARLES HENRY5 EUBANKS
- vii. MAUD MULLER EUBANKS, b. December 01, 1880, Tarrant County, TX; d. Fort Worth, TX; m. DAVID EDWIN MERCER, January 20, 1901
- viii. LILLIE EUBANKS, b. March 18, 1882; d. July 1972, Hooker, OK; m. HUGH SOUTHERN
- ix. LUVENIA EUBANKS
All Rights Reserved. The information contained within this web site, may be used by individual researchers, libraries and genealogical societies, however, commercial or for-profit use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright notice, must appear with the information. The copyright of the actual information, documents or images contained here is held by the submitter.