Tennesseans in the Civil War
Federal Cavalry Units



Companies "A", "B", "C", "D", and part of "E" mustered in at Athens, November 1864; balance at Nashville, March and May 1865; mustered out at Nashville, July 27, 1865.



The report of Adjutant General James P. Brownlow, State of Tennessee, says the regiment was recruited in Anderson, Knox, Campbell, Meigs and Monroe Counties. At the time of organization there were only four companies, and part of a fifth. Major John McGaughey was evidently the first field officer, but he was captured on January 29, 1865, and does not appear on the muster rolls of the regiment. Lieutenant Colonel Dail was commissioned January 1, 1865, and Major Dodson on April 22, 1865.

The regiment was stationed at Athens, Tennessee during most of its period of service. On January 29, 1865, George W. Ross, Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster, reported: "We were attacked yesterday by 300 rebels of Vaughn's, Wheeler's, and bushwhacker commands, and repulsed them from the town, but they captured some 20 or 25Y' of our men, including Major John McGaughey. They retreated from the town in the evening and remained all night seven miles from here, and rumor says they are going to make another attack in connection with about the same force that came to Madisonville yesterday." He requested that two companies of the 2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery, with two pieces of cannon be sent to Athens.

In response to this request, Captain Thomas A. Stevenson, 2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery was placed in command of an expedition sent from Knoxville. He reported: "We arrived at 2:35 P.M. (January 30). The garrison, composed of a part of the 7th Tennessee Mounted Infantry, about 500 men, were scattered through the town and the country, a greater portion of them having disappeared in the timber on the approach of the enemy the day previously and had not yet returned.* * * From the best information we learned that about 200 guerrillas dashed into the place the day before about 1:00 P.M., and that they were in the public square before the garrison knew it; that they remained three hours, and drew off at their leisure without doing any injury to the town."

On March 2, 1865, Captain Cochran, commanding the post, reported a skirmish on the road to Philadelphia, Tennessee. On March 11, the regiment was directed to report by letter to Major General George Stoneman, Commanding District of East Tennessee. On March 17 he assigned the regiment to Colonel H. G. Gibson's 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, Department of the Cumberland. The regiment at this time was reported as consisting of eight companies, under Lieutenant Colonel James I. Dail.

On March 21, Lieutenant Colonel Dail was ordered to proceed with all effective forces from Athens, and distribute his forces at the several passes through the mountains east of Athens. The unarmed men were to be left at Athens. This was during the time of General Stoneman's expedition from East Tennessee into Virginia and western North Carolina.

On May 1, 1865, Captain Cross was ordered to proceed with his company to Clinton, Anderson County, and assist the sheriff in the execution of the civil laws. The balance of the regiment continued on duty at the mountain passes until July 27, 1865, when the regiment was mustered out.


Return to:

Anderson County Homepage
Campbell County Homepage
Knox County Homepage
McMinn County Homepage
Meigs County Homepage
Monroe County Homepage



This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted © 1964 by the “Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee” and is published here with their permission.

This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.



©Tennesseans in the Civil War Project

This page was last updated on  Wednesday, July 14, 2004 .

©Tennessee and the Civil War Project 2005. All Rights Reserved.
All content found on this site is the property of the Tennessee and the Civil Project and her contributors 
and may not be used without written permission.