Organized at Clarksville and Nashville, Tennessee, 1864.
A report by Colonel R. D. Mussey, Commissioner for the Organization of Colored Troops, dated October 10, 1864, stated that authorization for the organization of this regiment had been given by the Adjutant General in February 1864, but that the desire to fill up regiments already organized had prevented recruiting for this regiment till a little before this date. The report went on to state that one company had been recruited at Clarksville, and 380 recruits from Ohio had been assigned to the command to fill up one battalion under Major Grosskopff. This was the only reference to the regiment found in the Official Records.
Dyer's Compendium states the regiment was organized at Clarksville and Nashville, October 8, 1864 to November 1, 1864; was attached to the District of Nashville, Department of the Cumberland until May 5, 1865, when the regiment was broken up.
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted © 1964 by the “Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee” and is published here with their permission.
This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.
|| WHAT'S NEW
|| CONFEDERATE RECORDS
|| UNION RECORDS
HOW-TO || MISCELLANEOUS || SEARCH || SITE MAP
©Tennesseans in the Civil War Project
This page was last updated on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 .
©Tennessee and the Civil War Project
2005. All Rights Reserved.
All content found on this site is the property of the Tennessee and the Civil Project and her contributors
and may not be used without written permission.