Widow's Indigent Pension
(The following information was obtained
from a widow's pension dated August 10, 1905.)
QUESTIONS FOR APPLICANT
STATE OF TENNESSEE
_____________________ of said State and County, desiring to avail herself of the
Pension allowed to Indigent Widows of Tennessee Soldiers, under Act of General
Assembly, approved April, 1905, begin Chapter 202 of the Acts of 1905, hereby
submits her proofs, and after begin duly sworn true answers to make to the
following questions, deposes and answers as follows:
- What is your full name and where do you
reside? (Give State, County and Postoffice).
- How long and since when have you been a
resident of this State?
- When and where were you born and what
was your maiden name?
- When and where was your husband born --
state his full name, and when and where were you and he married, and who
performed the marriage ceremony? (Attach certified copy marriage license in
- When and where and in what Company and
Regiment did you husband enlist or serve during the war between the States?
- How long did your husband serve in said
Company and Regiment?
- When and where did your husband's
Company and Regiment surrender?
- Was you husband present at the time and
place when his Company and Regiment surrendered?
- If not with his command at surrender
state clearly and specifically where he was when he left command, for what
cause and by what authority?
- When and where did your husband die?
- At the time of your husband's death,
were you living with him as his lawful wife?
- How many children did you have by your
said husband? Give sex and age at this time.
- What property, real or personal, or
income do you have or possess, and its gross value?
- What property, real or personal, did
you possess at death of husband or did he leave you, and what disposition,
if any, by sale or gift, have you made of the same?
- Have you a family? If so, who composes
such family? Give their means of support? Have they any lands or other
Sworn to and subscribed before me, this
_____ day of ______ 190__
of _______________ County
QUESTIONS FOR WITNESSES
STATE OF TENNESSEE,
_________________ County }
___________________________ of the said
State and County, having been presented as a witness in support of the
application of Mrs. ______________________ for a Pension under Chapter 202, Acts
of 1905, and after being duly sworn true answers to make to the following
questions, deposes and answers as follows:
NOTE -- Let the witness who can answer the
greater number of the questions do so; then let the other witness state in the
space below how much of the testimony of the first witness he concurs in, and
whether or not he can answer any of the questions not answered by the first
- What is your name and where do you
- Are you acquainted with the applicant,
Mrs. ________________ If so, how long have you known her? ___________
- Where does she reside, and how long and
since when has she been a resident of this State?
- When and where was she born?
- Were you ever acquainted with her
- When and by whom were they married?
- When and where was he born?
- How long did you know him?
- When and where did
_______________________ enlist in the war between the States, and in what
Company and Regiment did he enlist, and how do you know this?
- Were you a member of the same Company
- How long did he perform regular
- When and where was his Company and
- Were you with the command when it
- Was __________ the husband of applicant
- If not present, where was he?
- When and where did he leave his
command? _________________________ For what cause? ____________________ By
whose authority did he leave? __________________ How do you know all this?
(State fully and clearly) __________
- When and where did _____________ die?
- Where did he reside at his death and
how long had he been a resident of Tennessee at his death?
- Do you of your own knowledge know that
applicant is the lawful widow of ______________________?
- Has she remained unmarried since her
soldier husband's death, and is she now his widow?
- What property, effects or income has
the applicant, if any, and how do you know this of your own knowledge?
- Has applicant conveyed any property in
last two years or given any away, if so, what was it and to whom?
Sworn to and subscribed before me this
day of _____ 190___
The following Certificate of the County Trustee Must be
STATE OF TENNESSEE,
Certificate of Clerk of Court or Notary Public
________________ County }
I, _____________ Clerk or Notary Public,
in and for said County, hereby certify that the applicant, Mrs. ___________
resides in said County, and has been a bona fide resident of this State since
the _______ day of ________ 18__, and that the witnesses,
Mr. ____________________ are of trustworthy
character, and that their statements are entitled to full faith and credit.
I do further certify that before answering
the foregoing questions, the applicant and said witnesses took the oath herein
prescribed, and the full text of the affidavits was read to the applicant and
witnesses before the same was signed and subscribed.
Witness my hand and official seal this
____ day of _____ 190___
__________________________ (notary public)
- Before any questions are answered, the
Clerk or Notary shall swear applicant and the witnesses in the following
words: "You do solemnly swear that you will true answers make to each
of the questions asked of you, and the evidence you shall give will be the
whole truth; So help you God."
- Additional affidavits may be attached,
if blank spaces are insufficient.
- All affidavits must be made before an
officer using a seal.
- Only widows who were the wives of
Tennessee soldiers need apply -- and now are widows. Those married since
December 31, 1869, not entitled.
- Two witnesses are necessary to make out
- Attach certified copy marriage license
in every case, or certificate of Clerk of County Court, under seal, that
license is filed in his office, duly certified by officiating minister, or
the affidavit of the officiating minister, or the affidavit of two witnesses
of the ceremony.
(This completes the information contained
within the pension application. The remainder of the file contains proof of the
marriage as described above and correspondence between the applicant and the
Board of Pension Examiners.)
|| WHAT'S NEW
|| CONFEDERATE RECORDS
|| UNION RECORDS
|| SITE MAP
Tennessee and the
Civil War Pensions Project
This page was last
Monday, July 11, 2005
©Tennessee and the Civil War Project
2005. All Rights Reserved.
All content found on this site is the property of the Tennessee and the Civil Project and her contributors
and may not be used without written permission.