Units listed below are mentioned in material furnished by the National Archives, or in the Official Records, or in local county histories.
A command of two companies organized in April, 1864, composed of conscripts for local defense in Sullivan County. They were also detailed as laborers in the service of the Nitre and Mining Bureau, District Number Seven.
Organized for the purpose of receiving, processing and guarding conscripts in the places in the neighborhood to which they were ordered.
Commandant of the Camp of Instruction Camp of Instruction, near Knoxville, and at was Major L. Peck.
Organized in June, 1863, by the Commandant for Conscripts for Kentucky and East Tennessee, in Sullivan County. The intention was apparently to organize the companies listed below into a battalion, to be staffed by unassigned officers or officers from the Invalid Corps, but these plans apparently were not carried to completion. Officers were: Major-. C. Johnston, commanding:
This was a skeleton company, enlisted at Jonesboro, Washington County, June 23, 1863, by Captain Thomas F. Jones, 16th Georgia Battalion. The company commander was 1st Lieutenant W. W. Blair, and numbered 23 men.
Organized June 20, 1863, at Jonesboro. The company commander was for a time prior to this second in command of the 1st (Rogers) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment.
Organized June 18, 1863, in Hawkins County.
This officer was authorized by General Bragg, on March 6, 1862, to organize company for local defense, to be retained at Grand Junction, Hardeman County, for as long as circumstances permitted. It is not of record that the company completed its organization.
This unit is shown in a list of troops available to Major General Edwin Kirby, commanding in East Tennessee in February, 1863. There is no other information about them.
Also called The Hamilton County Guard. According to Armstrong's History of Hamilton County, this organization was composed of men too old or too infirm for regular military service. It was commanded by Captain Michael Harrington, and served as local defense forces in Hamilton County.
Captain J. B. Duncan's Company, Montgomery County Home Guard was formed in April, 1861; that organization was followed by the INDEPENDENT GUARDS, 1st Company, Cpatain Joshua Cobb; 2nd Company, Captain W. W. Valiant. In June, 1861, the city was divided into two areas, each had a HOME GUARD OF MINUTE MEN, unders Captains John Shelton and J. C. Read.
Allen's Rhea and Meigs Counties in the Confederate War lists this company as having been organized in Rhea County, and attached to Welcker's Tennessee Cavalry Battalion (State Troops), which was a six months organization serving from August, 1863 to January, 1864.
This organization appears in the index of the Official Records as being mentioned on page 86, Volume 52, Part 2. The reference is to a letter from S. R. Anderson, dated May 4, 1861, to Brigadier General L. T. Sneed with reference to muskets furnished to Colonel E. Pickett for his regiment of Home Guards, and to Colonel Walker for his regiment which he then tendered for active service. Since Pickett's Home Guards appeared as a separate item in the index, it seems probable that the 155th Militia Regiment was Colonel J. Knox Walker's Regiment, which became 2nd (Walker's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment.
Hamilton County Homepage
Hardeman County Homepage
Hawkins County Homepage
Knox County Homepage
Meigs County Homepage
Montgomery County Homepage
rhea County Homepage
Sullivan County Homepage
Washington County Homepage
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted © 1964 by the “Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee” and is published here with their permission.
This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.
|| WHAT'S NEW
|| CONFEDERATE RECORDS
|| UNION RECORDS
HOW-TO || MISCELLANEOUS || SEARCH || SITE MAP
©Tennesseans in the Civil War Project
This page was last updated on Tuesday, January 11, 2005.
©Tennessee and the Civil War Project
2005. All Rights Reserved.
All content found on this site is the property of the Tennessee and the Civil Project and her contributors
and may not be used without written permission.