ROBERTS, George D.
George D. Roberts, county court clerk of Blount county, was born in this county, on the 3d of February, 1889, on a farm at Cades Cove. His parents were Samuel J. and M. J. Roberts. In the acquirement of his education George D. Roberts attended the common schools of Blount county, and at the age of seventeen years entered Maryville College. There he took a course in educational work and later graduated at Maryville Polytechnic School. He was an instructor in the public schools of Blount county for eight years and taught in the Polytechnic School for one and one-half years. He served a term of six years as justice of the peace; in 1916 was elected county judge; and in 1917 was reelected to the same office. He was elected to his present office in August 1918, and again in 1922, without opposition in either election. Mr. Roberts believes that every public office is a public trust and discharges the duties devolving upon him accordingly. He is one of the most efficient officials of this county and well merits the confidence and esteem in which he is held by his fellowmen.
On the 23d of June, 1918, occurred the marriage of Mr. Roberts to Miss Laura E. Myers and they are the parents of three children: Earl William, Lois Josephine, and Mary Ella. Both Mr. and Mrs. Roberts are consistent members of the First Baptist church of Maryville, in which Mr. Roberts has been a deacon for several years. Fraternally he is identified with the Woodmen and he belongs to the Kiwanis Club. He is essentially a public-spirited citizen and being ever cognizant of the duties and responsibilities as well as the privileges of good citizenship, his cooperation can always be counted upon in the furtherance of any movement for the development and improvement of the community. His mottoes are: Courtesy wins, and Right makes might.
Source: Moore, John Trotwood, and Austin P. Foster. Tennessee, the Volunteer State, 1769-1923. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co, 1923.