Research Strategies & Resources
- TNGenWeb Special Projects – in-depth information on Tennessee history, including Native-American history, early state laws, the state in pre- & early statehood, land history, military history and more.
- TN State Library Microfilmed Records for Blount County – PDF file listing
- Ansearchin’ News – online historical archive of the journal of the TN Genealogical Society
- Finding Your Roots in TN – online radio show from May 2012 discussing genealogical research in TN
- Blount County, Wiki – from FamilySearch.org
- Blount County Genealogical & Historical Society – publishes the “The Blount Journal” semiannually (index of all past Journal articles)
- East Tennessee Historical Society – offers publications, lectures, conferences, school programs, exhibits, and heritage programs. See their Wikipedia page
- Tennessee Genealogical Society – founded in 1954 and located outside of Memphis. All members have use of their Regional History & Genealogy Center
- Smoky Mountain Historical Society – promotes the cultural and genealogical studies and histories of the Tennessee Counties of Blount, Cocke and Sevier.
- Cades Cove Preservation Association – photos, events, history & genealogy of the Cades Cove community.
- Smoky Mountain Genealogical Quest – free database of people connected with Sevier County. (There was quite a bit of movement back and forth between Sevier and Blount County.)
- ROOTS-L – a collection of databases for Tennessee research
- RootsWeb Surname List – searchable database of surnames.
Libraries & Museums
- Blount County Public Library – has more than 800 volumes of local family & genealogy history
- McClung Historical Collection – the local history and genealogy department of the Knox County Public Library System
- Tennessee State Library Association: Blount County Bibliography – list of published resources on Blount County.
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville Library – extensive collections on the history of East Tennessee