Benton County Tennessee
|1. Asa D. Rushing||age||35||M||W||Farming||Born in Tennessee|
|2.Mary Rushing||"||51||F||W||Born in England|
|3. Ann (Hursey)||"||19||F||W||Born in England|
|4. George||"||10||M||W||Born in Tennessee|
|5. Caroline||"||8||F||W||Born in Tennessee|
|6. William||"||6||M||W||Born in Tennessee|
|7. James||"||4||M||W||Born in Tennessee|
Mary (Hursey) Rushing daughter, Matilda Hursey born about 1829 in England, married Joseph J. Bain on 23 January 1848 in Benton County, Tennessee. Mary's other daughter, Ann Hursey born about 1832, married Edward G. Wright on 16 October 1856 in Benton County, Tennessee.
Asa Darling and Mary Rushing youngest son, James Darling, was born Ca. 1846 in Benton County, Tennessee. He married Martha Cordiela Rushing on 18 February 1879 in Benton County, Tennessee. They were married by George B. Bain, J.P., a kinsman that lived in the Sixth Civil District. The clerk recorded their marriage as John D. Rushing (instead of James) and Mahala C. Rushing. However, Mahala C. was John D. Rushing granddaughter, who had organized the Rushing Creek Methodist Church, now known as the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
John D. Rushing, a Methodist Clergyman, was born Ca. 1800 in Anson County, North Carolina and married Louisa Ward about 1820, who was born in 1803 in North Carolina. They moved to what became Benton County, Tennessee sometime before 1836. He was a member of the first county quarterly court held in Benton County when they organized the county on 7 February 1836. John Darling Rushing died in 1856 and probably buried in an unmarked grave at the Pleasant Hill Methodist Cemetery.
John D. and Louisa Rushing known children:
1. George Washington Rushing.
2. Francis M. Rushing born ca. 1824 in North Carolina, married Nancy McGill on 13 March 1844 in Benton County, Tennessee.
3. Male born between 1825 and 1830.
4. Female born between 1825 and 1830.
5. Mary Rushing born Ca. 1834 in Tennessee.
6. Robert Anderson Rushing born 21 December 1837 in Benton County married Anna Eliza Tomlinson and died 16 October 1914 in Jackson County, Illinois.
7. William Rushing born Ca. 1840 in Benton County, Tennessee.
Burwell Utley, Sr. was horn in 1762 in Johnston County, N. C. a son of John and Mary Utley. He served as a private in the Wake County, N. C. Militia toward the end of the Revolutionary War and received a pension. He was the third generation of this Utley branch to serve in the war from Wake County, N C Burwell Utley married 5 February 1787 to Sarah Lashley, who was a daughter of Lewis and Mary (Holland) Lashley. Burwell and Mary had issue:
1. Able Utley born Ca. 1788.
2. Seth Utley born Ca. 1789.
3. Salva Utley born Ca. 1791, married Urias Jenks on 4 December 1826.
4. Sarah (Salley) Utley horn Ca. 1793.
5. Mary Utley born Ca. 1797
6. Burwell Utley, Jr. born Ca. 1800.
The three sons eventually came to Tennessee and settled in what became Benton County, TN in 1836. They followed their uncle Burwell Lashley who settled in Reyoldsburg when it was part of Stewart County and eventually became Humphreys County, TN.
Able Utley married Elizabeth (Betsey) Hail on 12 September 1816 in Wake County, N.C. She was born Ca. 1795 a daughter of Matthew and Jane (Norris) Hail. Able and Elizabeth moved to Gilford County, N. C. soon after their marriage and then on to Humphreys County, TN in 1823.
Able and Elizabeth Utley settled on 200 acres of land granted him in Range 8, Section 3, which became the Third Civil District of Benton County, TN. The land was located south of Camden about half-way to Birdsong Creek.
He built a log house near the road and made it their residence. They had issue:
1. Jane Utley born Ca. 1817, married Ira Aden in 1839.
2. Female born in 1819
3. Martha Elender Utley born 6 March 1820, married Hezekiah Forrest and died 30 September 1883
4. M.C. Utley born Ca. 1822 and married 12 December 1842 to Stephen Marchbanks.
5. Authur Jack Utley born Ca. 1825 and married Judy D. Thomas.
6. Louisa S. Utley born Ca. 1827 and married Fleix S. Reeves on 16 July 1846
7. Andrew Thomas Utley born Ca. 1828 and married Irene D. Thomas on 22 November 1848.
8. Synthia Utley born Ca. 1830 and married William C. Cambell on 22 November 1848
9. Albert Utley born Ca. 1832 and married Rebecca Thornton on 2 October 1853
10. John Utley born Ca. 1834 and married Nancy H. Hinnant on 22 December 1864
11. Elizabeth Utley born ca. 1835.
12. Viola Utley born Ca. 1838 and married Thomas J. Corbitt 17 February 1858.
13. Jorotha Utley born Ca. 184O.
Able Utley made a deed to Daniel L. Dean 25 July 1878 for part of his land. The deed set apart one acre of land for all time to be used for a "Burying Ground" , which has been used by the Utley families for Several; years. This cemetery is now known as the Eastview Cemetery. Able died soon alter the deed was made.
Seth Utley married Bathsheba Wood and moved to Humphreys County, TN. The records show that he sold Lot Number 48 in the Town of Reynoldsburg to John Cobb on 29 May 1~8. He received a grant for land in Range 8, Section 3 on 9 February 1821, which also became the Third Civil District of Benton County,, TN.
Seth and Bathsheba Utley had issue:
1. John Wesley Utley born 2 December 1817 and married Nancy Rushing on 15 June 1837. She was born ca. 1817 a daughter of Able and Sarah Jane (Herrin) Rushing. They moved to Paririe County, Arkansas where he died in 1863.
2. Martha J. Utley born ca. 1820 and married Samuel G. Tittle on 20 March 1842.
3. Mary Amanda Utley horn 7 November 1821.
4. Margaret C. Utley born ca. 1824 and married Thomas H.R Jett on 7 December 1844.
5. Russell Utley born ca. 1825.
6. Nancy Elizabeth Utley born 13 January 1827 and married William Porter about 1854. She died in Plaski, Arkansas.
7. Burwell L. Utley born 27 December 1827.
8. Cale Utley born in 1830.
9. Adeline L. Utley born ca. 1831.
10. George W. Utley born ca. 1834 and married Elizabeth V. Camp on 29 August 1860. He died in 1866.
11. Joseph Seth Utley born 16 February 1836 and married Lavinia A. Coller on 1 December 1869. He died 18 February 1914 in Johnson County, Arkansas.
12. Martin Van Utley born 23 March 1840.
Seth Utley became involved in an unsuccessful attempt to organize a Mormon Church in Benton County, TN. He sold his land in Benton County to George Thompson and followed the Mormons to Arkansas. He died in Paririe County, Arkansas on 15 August 1866 and died the following year.
Burwell Utley, Jr. was the youngest son of Burwell Utley, Sr. and his wife Sarah Lashley of Wake County, N.C. He was born Ca. 1800 and married 14 January 1828 to Nancy Taylor. She was born Ca. 1802 a daughter of Alexander Taylor of Wake County, N.C. Burwell and Nancy moved with her father to Henderson County, TN soon after their marriage. However, they did not remain there long and moved to Benton County, TN near his kindsmen. Burwell Utley appeared in the 1840 census for Benton County, so he moved before the census was taken. He entered a claim for land in Benton County for 189 & 15/16 acres of land under the Occupatant Law of the State of, Tennessee on 1 January 1842.
This land joined the 50 acres of land granted Seth Utley on 9 February 1821 and assigned by him to a son Burwell L. Utley on 15 January 1846.
The land granted Burwell Utley, Jr. is recorded in the West Tennessee Land Grant Book 9-A, 1820-1847, page 26.
He farmed this land and passed the remainder of his life on it. He died in 1866 at his home. His wife Nancy also died at their home in 1872. They both were buried in the Utley Burying Ground with only large cedar trees marking their graves. The cemetery is now known as the Eastview Cemetery.
Burwell Utley, Jr. and his wife Nancy had issue:
1. William Henry Utley horn ca. 1829, married Emeline Farrar of Benton County, TN on 21 September 1852.
2. Fredonia Adeline Utley born 25 March 1832, married Charles Hodges Thompson on 26 March 1854 and died 10 June 1896.
3. Mary Catherine Utley born Ca. 1833, married Joseph Summers on 25 August 1862.
4. Sarah Frances Utley born in 1834 and died in 1926, a spinster. She was known as "Aunt Fannie". 5. John Albert Utley, of whom later.
6. James K. Polk Utley born in 1844, never married.
7. Samuel Huston Utley born in 1847, married America Ward and moved to Arkansas in 1878. 8. Martha Utley born in 1849, married James M. Prince on 14 November 1875. Buried in an unmarked grave in the Eastview Cemetery.
John Albert Utley born 25 February 1838, a son of Burwell Utley Jr. and his wife Nancy, and served in the
Confederate Army. He married Louisa (Puss) Mitchell on 6 January 1865 and died 21 October 1897.
Louisa was born 1 September 1844 in N.C. , a daughter of William and Sarah (Ross) Mitchell, and died 28
November 1928. John A. and Louisa Utley had issue:
1. Female born & died in 1865.
2. Robert F. Lee Utley born 3 November 1866, of whom later.
3. Burwell LaFayette Utley born in October 1868 and died in 1944. Never married.
4. Manuel Houston Utley born 5 November 1871 married Minnie Russell on 4 November 1900 and died 28 December 1958.
5. Julia Ann Utley born 14 July 1872, married Andrew W. Cooley on 24 July 1890, married second John M. Durdin 14 May 1905. Julia Ann died 11 January 1941.
6. William Patrick Utley born 11 May 1874, married Sarah Holland on 14 February 1903, married second Ella Noland on 7 March 1915. William Patrick Utley died 24 December 1966.
7. Delia Utley born and died in 1876.
8. Mary Utley born in November of 1877 and married Thomas Oscar Bishop on 27 December 1898. She died in March of 19l1. 9. Arco F. Utley born in 1878 and married Lydia Lashlee on 18 February 1900. They moved to Arkansas.
10. Dosha F. Utley born 1 February 1880 and died the same year.
11. Lella Utley born and died in 1883.
12. Nina Utley born 23 March 1885, married Jessie Jordan on 28 January 1920, and died 16 February 1955.
13. ha Utley born 22 January 1887, married Augustus (Gustie) Pierce on 10 September 1905 and died 29 October 1952.
Robert F. Lee Utley, son of John A. and Louisa Utley, married Callie Frances Rushing on 14 January 1897.
She was born 11 August 1881 the daughter of James Darling and Cordilla Rushing. She died on 26 October:,
1918. Robert F. Lee Utley married second Etta Wright on 21 April 1924. She was born 18 May 1878 and
died 20 June 1971. Robert EL. Utley died 3 December 1958.
Robert B. Lee and Callie Frances Utley had issue:
1. Maude Lee Utley born 8 May 1898, married Fred Harris Saunders on 26 December 1920 and had issue:
Server space for the TNGenWeb Project is provided through the generosity of US Internet.
The TNGenWeb Project makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched and proved, or disproved by the weight of evidence.
You are welcome to copy information found on the Benton County TNGenWeb site for personal use, and share information with other researchers or genealogical organizations, but this information may not be sold or used in a commercial project without expressed permission. All material submitted by individuals for inclusion in this site remains their property.