last update 25 May 2005
Steve Carson, GSC Associates Historical Record Products
On last Sunday, former senator G. C. Bingham (Grandville Crockett) died at his home in Bell Buckle. He had been in failing health for sometime, and while his death was a great shock to a host of friends all over the state, it was not entirely unexpected. He was an outstanding citizen of the county and his death is greatly deplored. For a number of years he was the mayor of Bell Buckle and served in the state senate from Bedford, Coffee and Moore counties. He was also a member of the school board. He was much interested in schools and their progress. Mr. Bingham was an extensive land owner.
He was the father of Mr. Don Campbell of Tullahoma, who as Mrs. Blanche Bingham Campbell, who is gaining popularity in the music world. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Olive Gilmore Bingham and the following children; Mrs Campbell, Mrs J.W. Paty Jr.., Mrs. Ralph Goener of St. Louis, Mrs Collins Paty of Elizabethton, Mrs. Guy Harriston of Birmingham and Miss Namoi Bingham, and a large connection of relatives in Middle Tennessee. Esq. W.W. Bingham is his brother and Mrs. James Miller his sister.
The funeral was conducted at the residence Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. by elder Clyde Gleaves.
To his wife and children the Gazette tenders its sincere sympathy in their great loss. A large crowd of friends from here attended the funeral services.
Last Sunday afternoon about 4 o'clock Eddie D. Ray, aged 15, was shocked to
death by an electric wire belonging to Southern Cities Power Company.
The tragedy occurred near Longview in the 10th Civil District of Bedford County. It is alleged that Eddie and his two little brothers in company with William Cook, were visiting Mr. J. R. Cook, and there had been a light pole burned and the Company was preparing to erect another pole. The wires were said to be low, and the boys were down at that point. Eddie, in some way came in contact with the wire and was instantly burned in a horrible condition, practically one-half of his body was burned and he died soon afterwards. The other children notified the father, Mr. A. J. Ray, who came at once and took the boy home and immediately summoned two physicians. Medical skill could not save him and he died the following evening. Eddie leaves surviving him, his father and mother, five brothers, and three sisters. The Gazette tenders its sympathy to the unfortunate parents.