According the to 1850 Scott County Tennessee Federal Census, Thomas LAXTON was born in South Carolina about 1795. So far the military file is all I have on Thomas. He was a pvt in Capt. James Tunnell’s Company, Reg’t East Tennessee Militia commanded by Col. Wm. Johnson. He was called into service 13 Sept 1814 at Knoxville, Tennessee for 6 months. He was a substitute for James Isom. Court minutes place Thomas LAXTON in Campbell County Tennessee as early as 1836. He is listed on the Campbell Co. federal census for 1840. By 1850 he is on the Scott County Tennessee federal census. His wife, Elizabeth applied for pension for her deceased son, Levi’s service in the Civil War. She states in this application that her husband, Thomas died 18 Oct 1862 in Scott County. Elizabeth did receive a pension and she died 10 May 1881, Scott County, Tennessee. Possible children:
1.Alfred LAXTON b. 1820 m. Sarah Thomas in Scott Co. TN on 18 Feb 1847;
2. Jesse LAXTON b. 1822 m. Luann Jane (Jennie) THOMPSON (daugther of Harmon THOMPSON) in Campbell Co. TN on 20 Nov 1849;
3. Catherine LAXTON b. 1823 m. Jacob SMITHERS;
4. John LAXTON b. 1830 m. Millie SHARP in Scott Co. TN on 19 Mar 1858;
5. Nancy LAXTON b. 1837 (no info);
6. Thomas LAXTON b. 1838 m. Mary J. GOAD;
7. Levi LAXTON b. 1843 d. 27 Jan 1864 in Clinton, TN.
NOTE: Jesse LAXTON and Luann Jane Jennie THOMPSON are the great grandparents of Glenn HAND.
Submitted by Glenn & Patsy Hand