Obituary of Noble James Sanders, 1993:
Noble James Sanders, 86, of Lamar Street, Clinton, died Jan. 29 at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center in Knoxville.
He was born Aug. 6, 1906, in Anderson County to the late John and Mary DeMarcus Sanders. Mr. Sanders was a member of Zion Hill Baptist Church.
In the 1920’s, he taught first through eighth grade at a school on Vowell Mountain.
He and his wife, Nola Melton Sanders, were married on April 1, 1933, in Tazewell by the Rev. H.R. Standifer.
During 1933 to 1945, he served overseas in the Coast Guard. Mr. Sanders worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority for 30 years and retired in 1971 as a Public Safety Officer in the Division of Reservoir Properties, Public Safety Service Branch. He was transferred from Knoxville to Norris Dam and spent 25 years there. Before working for TVA, he had worked at Magnet Mills for 12 years.
He had been active in the Valley Lodge No. 383 in Andersonville for the past 50 years and was also a member of the Eastern Star Chapter 193 in Clinton.
Mr. Sanders enjoyed refinishing antique furniture and repairing reed organs.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Nola Melton Sanders of Clinton; several nieces and nephews; and many special friends.
A Masonic service was held Sunday night at Martin Clinton Chapel followed by funeral services with the Rev. Clyde Gray officiating. A graveside service was held Monday at Norris Memorial Gardens. Martin Clinton Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
Clinton Courier News, 3 Feb 1993
[Courtesy of Renee Scarbrough]