Anderson County Tennessee
Biographies from Goodspeed
John A. Rowe, a young farmer of the Fifth District, was born in Carter County Tenn., July 25, 1862, the son of John E. and Mary (Boren) Rowe, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Tennessee. Our subject grew up on the farm, attended the district school, and farmed until 1879, when he became a guard on the county prison. After three years of this kind of service he became first shipping clerk for the Coal Creek Mining Company, and afterward bookkeeper in the company’s store at Coal Creek. Since March, 1886, however he has been at his present home, farming and lumbering with marked success. On November 12, 1885, he married Mary J., daughter of Grandison and Jane Queener, natives of Tennessee. She was born September 16, 1861. Our subject owns over 400 acres on the Knoxville & Ohio Railroad, and began life with no capital whatever, proving him to be an able business man. He is a Democrat.
Rufus Rutherford, proprietor of the Clinton Livery Stables, and a leading citizen of Clinton, was born in Andersonville, Tenn., January 12, 1856, the son of Calaway and Martha J. (Gibbs) Rutherford. The father was born near Andersonville in 1830, and was the son of Isaac Rutherford, a native of Tennessee. The father was a farmer, and died in October, 1856, when our subject was but nine months old. The mother was born at Andersonville, the daughter of Howard Gibbs, who was a native of Tennessee. She is a Methodist, and a resident of Clinton. Our subject was reared in Andersonville, and educated in the common schools. He engaged in farming in 1879, and then went to Texas and remained two years, then returned to Andersonville, resuming farming two miles north of there. He removed to Clinton in 1877, thence to Texas for two years, then back to the farm, tow miles north of Andersonville, and two years later moved to that city and engaged as clerk for Henry Clear, Jr. In 1885 he removed to Clinton, and engaged in the livery business, and now has the only stables in the place. December 29, 1886, he married Emma Leake, of Knoxville, who was born December 25, 1861, the daughter of John R. Leake, of Sevier County, Tenn. The wife is a member of the Baptist Church.
F.P. Rutherford, merchant, was born in Anderson County July 8, 1858, the son of Mark and Paulina (Gibbs) Rutherford, both natives of Anderson County and of English origin. Our subject is the eldest of three brothers, having no sisters. He received an academical education at Andersonville, and was reared on the farm, working with his father until he became of age, when he began clerking for Henry Clear, a merchant of Andersonville. Later on, he became on of the firm of John e. Chapman & Co., of Andersonville, and still later a traveling salesman for Chapman, White, Lyons & Co., of Knoxville. In 1885 he became a member of the firm of F.P. Rutherford & Bros., in merchandising at Andersonville. The firm is now Rutherford Bros. In 1889 he married Mattie A. Wallace, daughter of John Wallace, a farmer of Anderson County. Their only son is Roswell C. Our subject is a young merchant of energy, who has succeeded in establishing an extensive business from a poor beginning. He is a Master Mason, and an active worker in the Democratic ranks.
C.J. Sawyer is one of the leading members of the Anderson County bar, and a prominent citizens of Clinton. He is a native of Orange County, NY., having been born at Middletown, November 18, 1840. He is the son of C.G. and Harriet (Smith) Sawyer. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1796, and died April 2, 1874, after a long life of honor and usefulness. The mother was a native of Orange County, NY., and died when our subject was but tow years of age. Our subject was reared in Middletown, where he received his early education, and finished at Marion, Ind., in the college of which his brother was president. He began the study of law at Middletown, and entered the Albany (NY) Law College, from which he graduated. The next three years he spent traveling, chiefly in California. He removed to Clinton, Tenn., in 1865, and began practicing law, and has continued up to the present, making a success and a good standing as a lawyer and a man. He is a member of Alpha Lodge No. 376, F. & A. M., of which he served several years as Master, and Representative to the Grand Lodge two different years. September 17, 1868, he married Lizzie Whitson (deceased). Four children were born to them. She was member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and died April 5, 1880.
J.C. Scruggs was born in Anderson County, Tenn., December 16, 1840, and is the son of John and Susannah (Edwards) Scruggs. The father was born in Knox County in 1797, and came to Anderson County in his youth. He was a farmer, and died in May, 1861. He was the son of John Scruggs, a native of Virginia. The mother was born in Anderson County February 1, 1803, and is the daughter of Samuel Edwards. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which her husband was also a member. Our subject was reared on the farm, and acquired his education in the home schools. August 7, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Second Federal Tennessee Infantry, for three years, but served until mustered out at Nashville, May 1, 1865. On November 6, 1863, he was captured at Rogersville, Tenn., and was imprisoned at Belle Isle, Andersonville, Charleston and Florence, and was paroled at Goldsboro, N.C. in 1865. He then returned home and resumed work on the farm. In 1873 he was elected county school Superintendent, and served one year. October 16, 1886 he was appointed by Judge Gibson as clerk and master of chancery court of Anderson County, which position he holds at present. June 27, 1877, he married Mary L. Moore, who was born in Jefferson Courthouse, N.C., December 3, 1848, the daughter of Dr. C.J. Moore, of Jefferson County. Their children were Oscar S., born April 28, 1878, Mabel, born November 11, 1879, Mary E., born January 24, 1882, and John C., born April 20, 1884. Our subject is a member of Alpha Lodge, No. 376 F. & A.M. He removed to Clinton in 1886. His wife is a member of the Southern Methodist Episcopal Church. T.J. Scruggs, a brother, was born in this county January 13, 1839. He was reared and received his early education at the old farm, and finished his studies in Knox County and in Iowa. August 7, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Second Federal Tennessee Infantry, and was captured at Rogersville and imprisoned, as was his brother, and exchanged at Florence in December, 1864. He was mustered out in February, 1865, at Nashville, and then returned to Anderson County. From 1868 he was eight years in Iowa, and then six years in Kansas, when he returned. Since 1886 he has been register of Anderson County. He is a member of the G. A. R.
H.C. Slover is a native of Anderson County, Tenn., and was born September 16, 1844. He is the son of Aaron and Nancy (Burton) Slover. The father was born in Anderson County, Tenn., November 1809, and was the son of Aaron Slover, a native of Virginia, and one of the pioneers of Anderson County, of which he served as trustee for about twenty years. The father was a farmer by vocation, and died October 10, 1886. The mother was born in Virginia in April, 1813, and was the daughter of John Burton, a native of Virginia, who moved to Anderson County about 1815, where he died in 1850. She died in 1863. Both parents were members of the Methodist Church. Our subject was reared on the farm where his father was born, and acquired his early education at home. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company C of the Second Federal Regiment of Tennessee Infantry, and November 6, 1863, was captured at Rogersville, Tenn. He was confined in prison at Belle Isle, Andersonville, Charleston and Florence, being exchanged from the latter place after thirteen months and ten days’ imprisonment, from which his health suffered greatly and his constitution was undermined. He was mustered out of service at Knoxville, Tenn., May 27, 1865, and returned to his parents. He attended school next, but after several months his health became so poor he was compelled to leave the school permanently. He has served as constable, school commission and deputy sheriff of Anderson County, and in 1880 enumerated the census of his (5th) district. He was elected clerk of the circuit court in 1882, and re-elected in 1886, filling the same with credit, and is one of the leading citizens of Clinton. He is a member of W.C. Carnes’ Post, G. A. R., and of the Baptist Church. He was married in August, 1867, to Matilda A. Carden, who was born in Union County, Tenn., May 8, 1839, and is the daughter of Goldman and Rosa (Monroe) Carden, of Union County. To this union six children have been born, two of which are deceased. The mother is also a member of the Baptist Church.
J.P. Walker, M.D.., the subject of the following sketch, was born in Knox County, Tenn., September, 28, 1857. He is the son of Wesley and Mary (Griffith) Walker, both natives of Tennessee. Our subject was reared on the farm, and received a common-school education in the country schools of the county. at the age of seventeen he began the study of medicine, under the instruction of Dr. P.W. Walker and A. B. Tadlock, M.D., and continued his study till he entered the Nashville and Vanderbilt Universities, from which universities he graduated in 1881. Prior to his entering the universities he had practiced under his preceptors, and had done some practice upon his own responsibility. He practiced at intervals between lectures at the universities. In the year of his graduation he located at Oliver Springs, Anderson County, where he has established a large practice. He located here on the last day of April 1881, and on the following day received two calls, and ever since he has had a good practice. He is a young and energetic physician, and has a bright future. He had no capital, with its advantages, but has succeeded in surmounting this obstacle. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and though he is not an ardent politician, he is a man of political sentiment, which he quietly expresses by the casting of his vote.
John H. Whaley, carpenter, a prominent citizen of Clinton, was born November 30. 1861 and is the son of Hercules and Mary J. (McAdoo) Whaley. The father was born in Rhea County, November 14, 1824 and was by occupation a trader. He died in 1864. The mother was born in Clinton in 1834, the daughter of John McAdoo, and a sister of Prof. McAdoo, of Knoxville. She is now living in Clinton. Our subject was reared in Clinton and in Texas. Until 1877 he attended school at the former place, and then began farming and working at his trade, and is now one of the best carpenters and contractors in Clinton. March 1, 1885, he married Clara Cullom, who was born October 6, 1865, the daughter of Gen. William Cullom. They have two children. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which he is a steward, and one of the Sunday school superintendents.
W.B.H. Wiley, coal operator, at Oliver Springs, was born in Roane County, Tenn., January 25, 1843. He is the son of Henry H. Wiley and Mary B.B. Boyd, who were married January 2, 1822. The father was born in North Carolina, October 9, 1779. He was the son of Alexander Wiley and Martha Noel; this father was a farmer in Tennessee, for several years, and later went to merchandising in Kingston, Roane County; still later he was elected county court clerk of Roane County; still later he became one of the wealthiest men of his county, and all his wealth was gained through perseverance and skillful management. The mother of our subject was born in Virginia, March 31, 1804, and died January 3, 1877. Unto her were born six sons and four daughters. Our subject was reared on the farm, and received a common-school education, in the country schools. His work, prior to the civil war, was farming. At the outbreak of the war, he enlisted in Company F, Fifth Tennessee Infantry. At the close of the war, he returned to Kingston, and farmed in Roane County, for two years, and then went to operating in coal, first at Coal Creek, then at Oliver Springs, where he is now operating. He and his brother, H.H. Wiley, constitute the Mount Carbon Coal and Coke Company, of Oliver Springs. In 1869 (October 29) he married Miss Jennie McFarlen, of Nashville. One son and eight daughters have been born to this marriage. Three of these children are dead; those living are Thomas E., Z.A., Mary E., Katy, Luttie and Irene. Mr. Wiley commenced business without money, and has gained considerable wealth, by his energy and enterprise. He is a self-made man, a member of the Presbyterian Church, an Odd Fellow, and a Republican.