Anderson County Tennessee
Biographies from Goodspeed
J M Carden, M D., was born in Union Co., Tenn., Jan 23, 1852. His parents were Goldman B and Rosa (Monroe) Carden, the former a native of NC, of English stock, and the latter of Tennessee of German origin. Our subject had the meager advantages of country education, but while working on the farm he so persisted in study, even by the light of the fireside, that when he reached his majority he was prepared to teach. His first school was in 1872, but he continued in that work until 1878, studying medicine in the meantime. He now continued studying medicine and during 1879-80 he attended lectures at the medical department of the University of Tennessee, at Nashville. He practiced from 1880-1886, when he became the Republican nominee for State senator, for the Fifth District, and was elected in the fall of the same year. He became a member of the State Senate in Jan 1887, and spent his leisure hours in lecture attendance at the University of Tennessee, and finished the course he had begun in 1879, and received his diploma, and now is in the practice of his profession. In 1870 he married Martha E Carns, a daughter of Capt W C and Mary (Adkins) Carns. Their children were Annie C, U S G, Ina E (deceased), W A Wheeler, Robert L and Susan Vestal. Our subject, his wife and eldest daughter were members of the Missionary Baptist Church, he joining in 1869. He is a self-made man of considerable promise, who has never had any of the advantages of wealth, but has made good use of the spurs of poverty.
Rev J M Carter was born in Claiborne County, Tenn., Dec 9,1842, the son of Josiah P and Catherine (Harrell) Carter. The father was born in Claiborne County, in 1822, and was the son of Thornton Carter, a native of NC. He was a farmer, and died when our subject was ten years old. The mother was also born in Claiborne Co., the daughter of D Harrell, a native of NC. She was born in 1827, is now living in Claiborne Co, and attended the common schools at home. He enlisted in Co H, First Federal Tennessee Cavalry, in June, 1862. He served throughout the war, and from the fall of 1863 to the fall of 1864, he was on Gen McCook’s staff. He was mustered out at Nashville, June 5, 1885, and returned to Claiborne Co. He followed farming and school teaching for four years, and then began fitting himself for the ministry, and in the fall of 1870 was ordained a minister of the Baptist Church by Elders P A Morton, John D Acuff, Simeon Acuff and J N Yaden. Since the above date, he has been laboring in the churches of East Tenn, in evangelistic work. He is a self-made man in every sense of the word, having educated himself under the most adverse circumstances. He is a man of unusual eloquence and ability, and is considered one of the best pulpit orators in East Tennessee. In 1882 his health failed him, and for a year he was under medical treatment. He moved to Clinton in Sept 1886, and became a member of the Baptist Church of that place, and also fills the pulpit in part. He is the author of several popular sermons, among which are “The Resurrection,” “Faith”, and “The Great Hereafter.” In July, 1885, he married Nannie Staples, who was born in 1865, the daughter of Col William Staples. She died Mar 12, 1886, and Sept 16,1886, he married Mrs Emma L Warwick, nee Galzon, of Knoxville, who was born Oct 14, 1851. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church.
John Chumbley, superintendent of the Knoxville Iron Company, at Coal Creek, Anderson Co., Tenn., was born in Nottaway Co., Va., July 29, 1824. He is the son of James and Lucretia (Pully)Chumbley. Both parents were natives of Va., the father was of Dutch descent, and the mother of Irish. Mr Chumbley was reared on a farm, and was educated in the country schools. When about thirteen years old he removed with his parents to Maury County, Tenn. Feb 15, 1849, he married Miss Virginia E Davis, daughter of John Davis, of Kentucky. Two sons and four daughters blessed the marriage. Only one son and one daughter are now (1887) living. They are John F Chumbley (traveling salesman for John Wannamaker and Co., of Philadelphia Pa), and Lilia Brandau (wife of Alex L Brandau, clothing merchant, of Knoxville.) In 1854 our subject removed from Columbia, Maury Co., Tenn., to Nashville and entered the employ of Housten, Campbell and Co., wholesale grocers. He quit their employ in 1858, and was elected city marshal of Nashville, in which capacity he served for three years, suspending the service at the outbreak of the civil war until its close when he was re-elected. He served as city marshal until 1868, when he was appointed warden and agent of the Tennessee Penitentiary. He served in this capacity nearly four years and since then has been superintendent of various public works and private companies. At present he is the superintendent at the branch prison in Anderson County. He commenced business persuits without capital and his efforts have been crowned with success. He is not a politician, but, in the political canvass, lends his influence to the Republican party.
Henry Clear, Jr, was born in Anderson County Jan 8, 1846, and is the son of Caperton ad Elizabeth (Jones) Clear. The father was born in Anderson County, Tenn.; in 1816, asn was the son of Peter Clear, an native of Va. He was a farmer and a minister of the Methodist Eiscopal Church. He died Dec 28, 1875. The mother was born in Anderson County, in 1826, and is the daughter of William Jones, a native of NC. Our subject was reared in the county of his birth, and educated in its schools. In Oct. 1863, he left home, saying he ws going on a fishing picnic, but , with a party of boys, went to Knoxville whee he enlisted in Co C, Ninth (Fed) Tennessee Cavalry, serving throughout the war, and was twice wounded, the first time in the right arm at Greenville, Tenn., and next in the left side at Bull’s Gap, Tenn. He was mustered out Sept 11, 1865, at Knoxville, and returned home. In Sept 1867, he engaged in merchandising at Andersonville, and so continued for several years; then sold his stock, and was out of active life for three years, when he again began merchandising at his old stand. In 1885, he removed to Clinton, and in Nov he engaged in merchandising on a large scale, in one of the largest stores to be found outside of Knoxville in that region. He is one of the leading merchants of Clinton, and does an annual business of about $40,000. Dec 31, 1865, he married Martha E Wallace, who was born Jan 26, 1850, the daughter of Col William Wallace of this county. Two of their children are deceased. He is a member of the F and A M order, and the GAR, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
H C Coward, a leading citizen of the fourth civil district, was born in that district Mar 13, 1846, the son of Isaac and Margaret (Young) Coward. His father was born in the Camden district, SC in 1791, and was the son of Benjamin Coward. He went to Tennessee in or about 1812, under Gen Jackson, and died Oct 30, 1875. The mother was born in Tennessee in 1806, and is now a resident of the Fourth District. The parents were members of the old Baptist Church. Our subject was reared on the farm until seventeen years of age, and was educated in the neighboring schools. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in June, 1863, joining first the Seventeenth Regiment, Tennessee Infantry, Bushrod Johnson’s birgade, and in August joining the Fourth Regiment,Tennessee Cavalry (Confederate States Army), commanded by Paul Anderson. He was captured on Mar 3, 1864, near Ringgold, Ga., and on being taken before the provost-marshal and given his choice of imprisonment or taking the oath of allegiance to the Federal Government he wisely chose the latter, and went to Nashville, where on Mar 9, 1864, he joined the Federal Army under the assurance that the war was about over, and he would have little or no fighting to do. Contrary to his expectations he was at once sent to the front with the fourth Regiment, Tn Fed Cavalry, and in Heard County, Ga., was captured by the Confederates Aug 3, 1864, and sent to Andersonville prison, remaining about thirty-two days, and was then removed to Charleston and finally to Florence, SC and in 1865, was paroled after seven month’s imprisonment. He remained at home a year, after the war, and then traveled from State to State until 1872, and in 1882 purchased the McBath Mills on Bull Run Creek, which he has operated up to the present. June 4, 1871, he was married at Cartersville, Ga., to M F Vaughn, who was born there Dec 21, 1853, the daughter of David A Vaughn. They had seven children. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Goodpseed’s pages 1106 – 1108