Descendants of Abner and Mary (Ashlock) Farmer
Abner Farmer (1790-1875) married Mary Ashlock (1780-1863). Mary Ashlock was the daughter of William and Sarah Sullens Ashlock. Sarah’s sister Mary Sullens married William Henry Farmer of the Dutch Valley area.
Abner Farmer lived in Anderson County, Tn. He owned property in the 4th and 6th districts of the county. According to the Register of Deeds, Abner Farmer was deeded property by Henry, his father, in 1806. This property was situated in the 4th district. Later on in years, Abner sold the property in the 4th district. He lived in the 6th district . This area is known today as “Farmer’s Hollow”. Abner’s sons, William S. and Abner M. and William’s wife are buried on a hill in Farmer’s Hollow, overlooking the Clinch River.
- James Farmer was born 1815 in Anderson Co., Tn. James married Talitha King who was the daughter of James and Nancy (Parks) King. James and Talitha were married 24 Oct. 1838, in Anderson County, Tn. They are listed in the 1840 Anderson Co., Tn census. In 1850, they are listed in Hancock Co., Illinois.
James and Talitha had 6 children.
- Abner S. Farmer was born 1840 in Tn.
- Henry Farmer was born 1842 in Tn. He married a Jane (?)
- Nancy Farmer was born 1844 in Tn.
- Tabitha Farmer was born 1845 in Tn.
- Mary “Polly” Farmer was born 1849 in Tn.
- William Farmer was born 1853 in Illinois, and married an Elizabeth ______
- Nancy Ann Farmer was born 21 May 1817 in Anderson Co., Tn. She married William King 25 Sep 1834. Nancy died 27 Feb 1892 of typhoid fever. William King was born 24 Aug 1808 and was the son of James and Nancy (Parks) King. William served in the Mexican War, as Pvt. in Co. C 2nd Reg. Tn. Inf. He died 17 Jan 1854 in Anderson Co., Tn. Both William and Nancy Ann (Farmer) King are buried in the King Cemetery #3 in Anderson Co., Tn.
William and Nancy King had 5 children:
- Elizabeth King was born 5 July 1835, Anderson Co., Tn. She had one son. Elizabeth died 11 Feb 1892 of La Grippe.
- Perlina Jane King was born 9 Jan 1837 in Anderson Co., Tn. She married Newton Hendrix 13 June 1855 in Anderson Co., Tn.
- William Hurd King was born 8 Oct 1838 in Anderson Co., Tn. He married Sarah Melvina Ash 4 Nov 1869. This family moved to Illinois.
- Agnes King was born 1 Aug 1843 in Anderson Co., Tn and married Robert Preston 13 July 1864 in Anderson Co., Tn.
- John F King was born 26 Oct 1845 in Anderson Co., Tn. and married 24 May 1867 to Minerva E Hendrix.
- Henry Farmer was born 1820 in Anderson Co., Tn. He married Sarah Ann Bradley, the daughter of Stephen and Margaret (Taylor)Bradley. Henry and Sarah Ann were married 19 Jan 1843 in Anderson Co., Tn. They lived in the 4th district. In or around 1867, they moved to Ellis Co., Texas. In 1897, a bill was filed in the Anderson Co Tn Chancery Court to find the heirs of Samuel Bradley’s brothers and sisters. Sarah Ann (Bradley) Farmer was his sister.
Henry and Sarah Ann Farmer had 4 children:
- Mary Ann Farmer was born 1844 in Anderson Co., Tn. She married Charles Leckey.
- Margaret Farmer was born 1847 in Anderson Co., Tn. She married Isaac Chenoweth.
- Samuel B Farmer was born 1859 in Anderson Co., Tn.
- James W. Farmer was born 1852 in Anderson Co., Tn.
- Elizabeth Farmer was born about 1821 in Anderson Co., Tn. She married Clark King, who was the son of James and Nancy (Parks) King. They married 25 Jan 1837, Anderson Co., Tn. By 1850, Clark and Elizabeth had removed to Hancock Co., Illinois.
Clark and Elizabeth had 8 children:
- James W King was born 1838 in Tn.
- Mary J King was born 1839 in Tn.
- Sarah King was born 1843 in Tn.
- Farilda King was born 1845 in Tn.
- Irene King was born 1849 in Illinois.
- John King was born 1852 in Illinois
- Ettie King was born 1860 in Illinois.
- Preston King was born 1863 in Illinois.
- Agnes Farmer was born 28 June 1824 in Anderson Co., Tn. Agnes was married to Calloway King Oct 13, 1842 in Anderson Co., Tn. Calloway King was the son of James and Nancy Parks King. Calloway was born 9 Dec 1814 and died 16 Feb 1906. Agnes died 19 Feb 1899. Both are buried in the King Cemetery #3 in Anderson Co., Tn. Calloway and Agnes Farmer King lived in Anderson Co., Tn.
Calloway and Agnes had 7 children:
- Lindsey King was born 12 Jan 1844, Anderson Co. Tn., and married Talitha Farmer, 14 Nov 1866.
- John A King was born 6 June 1846, Anderson Co., Tn., and married Sarah E Hendren, 6 Feb. 1873.
- Susan King was born 1848 in Anderson Co., Tn.
- Elizabeth King was born 1850, Anderson Co., Tn.
- Clark King was born 1852, Anderson Co., Tn., and married Margaret Vann.
- William Wiley King was born 1859, Anderson Co., Tn., and married Sarah Caroline May, 19 Oct 1877.
- Alfred King was born 1861, Anderson Co., Tn., and married Mary Dabney, 25 April 1866.
- Aaron Farmer was born 1826 in Anderson Co., Tn. He married Nancy Ann Frost, 28 Sept 1847, Anderson Co., Tn. Aaron was a soldier in the Mexican War and was disabled, according to his military papers. In 1850, Anderson Co., Tn census records, Aaron and Nancy Frost Farmer had one child, Lucy Ann Farmer who was born in 1848. After that census year, I have no more information on them; except when he filled out his pension papers. When he filed for pension he was living in Hopkinsville, Christian Co., Kentucky.
- Sarah Ann Farmer was born 1828 in Anderson Co., Tn. She does not show up on any census records, nor do I have a marriage date. She married James William Hackney. When Abner, her father, wrote his will in 1853, Sarah had already died. But, Abner did mention her two children in his will as being Hackneys. James William Hackney was in the Mexican War. He was disabled, and applied for his pension papers. He had a hard time recieving his pension; his father had already claimed it on the assumption that James was already dead. James had to have kin folk sign affidavits to the effect that he WAS who he was claiming he was! Aaron Farmer, his own brother-in-law signed an affidavit claiming he was the same James William Hackney that he had known that had served in the war.
They had 2 children:
- Abner S Hackney was born 1843 in Anderson Co., Tn.
- Sarah Ann Hackney was born 4 June 1845 in Anderson Co., Tn. She married 14 Jan 1866 in Anderson Co., Tn., to Aaren W Goans.
- William S “Billy” Farmer was born 3 Feb 1830 in Anderson Co., Tn. He was married to Margaret Ann “Peggy Ann” Henderson, 14 Nov 1828 in Anderson Co., Tn. She was the daughter of Jesse and Rhoda Frost Henderson. Billy and Peggy Ann lived in Anderson Co., Tn. Follow this link to his family
Information provided by Brenda Foster from original Anderson County GenWeb site.